Low Velocity 22 Ammo?

I won't use anything but eley subs yes there a bit more expensive than other brand.

When I had my .22 ruger bolt action I had my mildots on scope calibrated out to 115yards and producing 1 inch groups on extremely calm days.

I now have a 10/22 but it is not anywhere near as accurate as the bolt action 85 yards max with it for hunting

I've tried Winchester Long Zs. They weigh in at 29 grains, with an average muzzle velocity (measured) of 765 fps, for 38 fpe. The groups are pretty open though, even at 33 yards (around 2"groups), so not much use for your needs.

As stated, you'd be better off with a .22 air rifle -- much more accurate, and much less chance of collateral damage to machinery and buildings.

Lowest powered ammo always was percussion caps ie. 22CB or .22 BB Caps. Very rare ammo these days if obtainable at all, as they had little use outside of shooting galleries (which are now all but banned for H&S reasons). However I believe percussion caps were occasionally used for birds at short range.

This is what they look like but you'll probably not be able to obtain them:

ad40931d6a3b02e32289b7f7a8471850.jpg

I haven't fired, seen or heard of them in years.

Nearest thing to a true cap these days (and probably more suited to hunting due to higher energy), is the .22 Short which is 32ft lbs at the muzzle. CCI make these as do one or two other manufacturers although they're comparatively rare.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0026

The video below is .22 Short despite what the title says.

I did google and found a few UK dealers stocking them. Seems shorts still have some use amongst the Target community for indoor / short ranges.

Edited by Alsone

I have both CB caps (still freely available in France) and .22 shorts. Problem is, caps won't feed from a 22LR magazine, neither will shorts, unless you happen to have a lever-action rifle with a tubular magazine.

I use them in a single-shot Tanfoglio revolver, they're quite handy for despatching coypus in the trap, in case you're wondering! ;)

• Like 2

BB and CB caps are still available in Europe (Germany, Netherlands, France) but rather expensive, unless you buy them direct from the source.... :thumbs: (Czech Republic) where they are used in licence free 6mm Flobert rifles and pistols. (obtainable by anyone older than 18 years) Guns are restricted to < 6 fpe in CZ, but when you use the same ammo in your rimfire pistol or rifle, they come out at 20 / 30 fpe.

I use them in my single shot pistols (Webley, Champion etc) and vintage Flobert rifles / pistols

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/product/rimfire-ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/products/detail/107/

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/product/rimfire-ammunition/rimfire-ammunition/products/detail/97/

One can use Winchester Z(immer) Long ammo at short range < 25 meters, after that they simple fall to the ground.... :D:yes: works fine in any bolt action rifle, but you have to adjust your scope accordingly.Use them to keep the jackdaws and woodpigeon down, coming to the feed put out for the chickens.

http://www.guncity.com/winchester-zimmer-.22-z-long-.22lr-brick-97153

I have both CB caps (still freely available in France) and .22 shorts. Problem is, caps won't feed from a 22LR magazine, neither will shorts, unless you happen to have a lever-action rifle with a tubular magazine.

I use them in a single-shot Tanfoglio revolver, they're quite handy for despatching coypus in the trap, in case you're wondering! ;)

I've only ever shot them through a .22 Winchester pump action rifle with a tubular magazine at shooting galleries when I was a small boy. They cycled fine through those.

Won't cycle in anything automatic though and due to their size, I can imagine magazine feeding could be problematic.

• Like 1