Old Deerhound/greyhound Cross.

IMG00044-20100926-1635.jpg

This is her 23tts but at about 7yrs old then.i can under stand why lads didn't breed any of these if the 1stxs were to big as that's why I did it.

Just through interest what are/were the first crosses too big for?
If anything the odd rabbit mate but apart from that in my opinion why not bring the size down if people think they are to big for things.i think that's why they are dying out because size puts a few people off from having or trying the breed our did everything you asked even when I put whippet into that bitch most of the pups done bigger game no problem from the feed back I got.but this is a breed I will always have a heart for no matter what. Edited by lurchers
  • Like 1

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ran deerhoundxgreyhound most of my life but it finding good ones now as they are dying out.

Mother, father and pup, all with deerhound in them     Some other old deerhound crossess     Disclaimer..photos were taken before the ban on hunting with dogs....long before the ban on hunti

Four first cross deerhound x greyhounds, not my favourite worker, but a good starting point..and as you can see, sometimes better looking than their owners..ha ha ha  

Posted Images

Bought what i was told was a 7/8 1/8 dhxgh bitch,smooth coated fawn bitch at 2yr old.She was a very fast bitch and killed a lot of game both day and night but not extra keen on quarry that bit back but a very good catch dog along side a slower animal.I bred her to a halfx dhxgh,very good all round dog with bags of pace and staying ability who took fox's for fun.When this litter was born they were all rough coated bar 1 dog pup which i kept myself,the rest were gifted to different lads and 2 went to GB with lads that came over digging every now and again.The dog i kept back i named SPUD and he went on to be a very usefull dog,caught his 1st fox at around 9-10 months by accident but done the job even though it was only a big cub and was going at bigger stuff at just over 12months.His brother that crossed the water was a good dog on big game aswell but died young.Spud lived until he was around 7yr old then died from kidney failure.Had another dhxghxbull ,dog named Coono and he was the makings of a good dog,had taken a good few fox then 1 day he was jumping a high fence and got caught up in it and wrapped himself around electric wire which was straight from the mains running along side the 1st fence,dog went beserk and tried to bite me as i tried to free him from the wire,in the end i got him out after geting shocked to f**k but after that if a fox made it to a fence line the dog would stop,good promising dog ruined by electric wire,that was the last dh type i kept.

Bought what i was told was a 7/8 1/8 dhxgh bitch,smooth coated fawn bitch at 2yr old.She was a very fast bitch and killed a lot of game both day and night but not extra keen on quarry that bit back but a very good catch dog along side a slower animal.I bred her to a halfx dhxgh,very good all round dog with bags of pace and staying ability who took fox's for fun.When this litter was born they were all rough coated bar 1 dog pup which i kept myself,the rest were gifted to different lads and 2 went to GB with lads that came over digging every now and again.The dog i kept back i named SPUD and he went on to be a very usefull dog,caught his 1st fox at around 9-10 months by accident but done the job even though it was only a big cub and was going at bigger stuff at just over 12months.His brother that crossed the water was a good dog on big game aswell but died young.Spud lived until he was around 7yr old then died from kidney failure.Had another dhxghxbull ,dog named Coono and he was the makings of a good dog,had taken a good few fox then 1 day he was jumping a high fence and got caught up in it and wrapped himself around electric wire which was straight from the mains running along side the 1st fence,dog went beserk and tried to bite me as i tried to free him from the wire,in the end i got him out after geting shocked to f**k but after that if a fox made it to a fence line the dog would stop,good promising dog ruined by electric wire,that was the last dh type i kept.

I remember a nice little lurcher bitch, think she was a collie whippet greyhound type who took a knock one day from an electric fence, and she refused to jump any fence after that, was a real shame as she had the makings of a handy little pot filler, and the local fields were well stocked with hares back then

Good going fm. A big dog to handle and temperament to handle around a situation like that with a electric fence. I bought a pup once but sold it too a lad I knew, it was his first lurcher and I had a couple of dogs at the time. Sire Hancock called shooting news, the man said and he had the mother a pure deerhound Ardindlas, a worker he said, a man in n Wales, he was stuck with a big litter at the time. The lad who had the pup was no serious Hunter but had some rabbit, hare, young Fox, mogy while out wandering with him walking around. Big dog, never heard nothing of the others.

• 2 weeks later...

Remember when i started going hunting.lurchers wernt on every street corner but in the towns there would be one or a few about to go out with or lend,some had collie in or later years beddy. Good rabit,hare, and fox killer. Only saw a bit on deer.good animal

Four first cross deerhound x greyhounds, not my favourite worker, but a good starting point..and as you can see, sometimes better looking than their owners..ha ha ha

post-97768-0-59913100-1450657682_thumb.jpg

Edited by Omanyra
  • Like 13

Mother, father and pup, all with deerhound in them

post-97768-0-52044300-1450659107_thumb.jpg

Some other old deerhound crossess

post-97768-0-37974300-1450659132_thumb.jpg

Disclaimer..photos were taken before the ban on hunting with dogs....long before the ban on hunting with dogs, ha ha

Edited by Omanyra
  • Like 14

Bill and mercel 10063.jpg

Bill and mercel 20065.jpg

Disclaimer..photos were taken before the ban on hunting with dogs....long before the ban on hunting with dogs, ha ha

No shit Sherlock lol ya look back from then to now Jesus how times change. Edited by lurchers
  • Like 1

Watched lurcher mania today, that dog axel and the other collie grey deer grey both 28.5, 29.5tts had no problem with rabbits. My bitch was 28.5, and was shit. Just goes to show sometimes size isn't as clear cut.

I was talking to my mate Spadge the other day and we were on about when streety took us to squeaks flat when he was on making the ratting video,what a laugh we had as he was as mad as a hatter.

• Like 1

Watched lurcher mania today, that dog axel and the other collie grey deer grey both 28.5, 29.5tts had no problem with rabbits. My bitch was 28.5, and was shit. Just goes to show sometimes size isn't as clear cut.

Thats Axel on the photo of the 4 dogs, back right, the one next to him is his sister, Peggy the two at the front are litter sisters, all bred from the same deerhound stud dog

I saw Axel get 30 rabbits one night, but Eric who owned him was more into bigger stuff, and stuff that bit back at that time..

Ive had two first crossers, both got down to rabbits no probs, both into the 30s a few times. All the deerhounds I worked also got down to rabbits,

But for numbers, I must admit I like something a bit smaller..but not too small

Edited by Omanyra
  • Like 1

Thats Axel on the photo of the 4 dogs, back right, the one next to him is his sister, Peggy the two at the front are litter sisters, all bred from the same deerhound stud dog

I saw Axel get 30 rabbits one night, but Eric who owned him was more into bigger stuff, and stuff that bit back at that time..

Ive had two first crossers, both got down to rabbits no probs, both into the 30s a few times. All the deerhounds I worked also got down to rabbits,

That's the only reason I put a whippet over my 1stx mate and to see what they would look like.i can remember that pic but can't remember where from.and it was Eric we were out with that night I remember his face now looking at the pic.

• Like 1

That's the only reason I put a whippet over my 1stx mate and to see what they would look like.i can remember that pic but can't remember where from.and it was Eric we were out with that night I remember his face now looking at the pic.

And thats what you do with this cross to make it a better all rounder, the easy, quick way, putting something else smaller into the mix, or doing it the long way..breeding down.

Edited by Omanyra
  • Like 1

And thats what you do with this cross to make it a better all rounder, the easy, quick way, putting something else smaller into the mix, or doing it the long way..breeding down.

Mind you the 1stx bitch I had was only 26tts it's a shame there still isn't the stuff kicking about from the old stuff as I would of had one but I had to go for the 2nd best thing Beddiexgreyhounds mate.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifBill and mercel 10063.jpg

attachicon.gifBill and mercel 20065.jpg

Don't make cars like that anymore .
  • Like 1