Old Deerhound/greyhound Cross.

Brian Nuttall from Holmes Chapel is the terrier breeder.

John Nuttall from Clithero was a Deerhound hybrid breeder.

I used to work with an oldboy farmer years ago that bred and ran the cross with John Nuttall. He lost the tennancy of his farm back then for his coursing activity on Altcar estate. He always said that the best ones came out of a Deerhound dam to a Greyhound sire...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ran deerhoundxgreyhound most of my life but it finding good ones now as they are dying out.

Mother, father and pup, all with deerhound in them     Some other old deerhound crossess     Disclaimer..photos were taken before the ban on hunting with dogs....long before the ban on hunti

Four first cross deerhound x greyhounds, not my favourite worker, but a good starting point..and as you can see, sometimes better looking than their owners..ha ha ha  

Posted Images

Can remember a regular advert in the exchange and mart selling genuine deerhound greyhounds in the 70s sure it was some one called Nuttal from holmes chapel those he bred had an influence on the hybrids around s.yorks at the time.

Nuttal was from the clitheroe area saw a few run from his kennels many years ago also andy baron from gisburn bred these approx 90s saw a very good 3/4 cross run a few times.Nuttal from holmes chapel is the terrier breeder i think.

I seen one of the Andy Barron dogs what a friend from Stoke on Trent bought it was crap at its job and I think there was more deerhoundxgreyhound bred in me than that dog.it just looked like a lurched to lurched cross you wouldn't of thought there was deerhound in it.one of the fastest 1stxs I ever seen was axel from the lurchermania video run from Northumberland.that dog could shift for a nice big animal a lad called Andy had him who flew the microlite off the video.

• Like 1

Can remember a regular advert in the exchange and mart selling genuine deerhound greyhounds in the 70s sure it was some one called Nuttal from holmes chapel those he bred had an influence on the hybrids around s.yorks at the time.

Nuttal was from the clitheroe area saw a few run from his kennels many years ago also andy baron from gisburn bred these approx 90s saw a very good 3/4 cross run a few times.Nuttal from holmes chapel is the terrier breeder i think.

I seen one of the Andy Barron dogs what a friend from Stoke on Trent bought it was crap at its job and I think there was more deerhoundxgreyhound bred in me than that dog.it just looked like a lurched to lurched cross you wouldn't of thought there was deerhound in it.one of the fastest 1stxs I ever seen was axel from the lurchermania video run from Northumberland.that dog could shift for a nice big animal a lad called Andy had him who flew the microlite off the video.

Axel belonged to eric ferguson, had some good times with that dog, he was a very clever, experienced dog with explosive early pace, very fast up to the hare, and a good catch dog, provided erics welly boot did'nt get there first

Nice dogs mate ya right he was very fast upto a hare that's what I watched him on that night.the last 1stx bitch I had came from doxhope lines it's was as the foot and mouth came out in the northeast.she was a very fast bitch to and the mother to that little bitch in the photo of the 2 dogs on.i sent her to Geff fenarolie down Wales on the understanding she came back to me if he got rid.he had a dog bred the sameway he was going to put her over but he died before that happened.so all his dogs was supposed to of been pts but I heard different as I was getting a pup back out of them.i would of had another one tomorrow out of them dogs mate.

Edited by lurchers

Axel belonged to eric ferguson, had some good times with that dog, he was a very clever, experienced dog with explosive early pace, very fast up to the hare, and a good catch dog, provided erics welly boot did'nt get there first

That might of been him mate a tall lad he had been up Scotland running the blue hares and said it was like killing rabbits.and said he would rather run the brown hares as they were harder to catch lol

Nice dogs mate ya right he was very fast upto a hare that's what I watched him on that night.the last 1stx bitch I had came from doxhope lines it's was as the foot and mouth came out in the northeast.she was a very fast bitch to and the mother to that little bitch in the photo of the 2 dogs on.i sent her to Geff fenarolie down Wales on the understanding she came back to me if he got rid.he had a dog bred the sameway he was going to put her over but he died before that happened.so all his dogs was supposed to of been pts but I heard different as I was getting a pup back out of them.i would of had another one tomorrow out of them dogs mate.

Did you get that black and white bitch out of axel mate ?, and yes eric told me not to bother going up to run the blue hares, he said they looked like walter wilsons carrier bags lying all over on the heather when they had the white coats

Did you get that black and white bitch out of axel mate ?, and yes eric told me not to bother going up to run the blue hares, he said they looked like walter wilsons carrier bags lying all over on the heather when they had the white coats
No mate the dog in the top pic and the dark brindle bitch in the next pick is father and daughter,John slacks breeding mate and the little brindle one is what I bred out of the 1stx bitch I had put back to a whippet to bring the size down.they were as fast as anything and still as game to Eric said he got 30 blue hares as quick as he got rabbits.so that put me off from going up there to mate. Edited by lurchers

No mate the dog in the top pic and the dark brindle bitch in the next pick is father and daughter,John slacks breeding mate and the little brindle one is what I bred out of the 1stx bitch I had put back to a whippet to bring the size down.they were as fast as anything and still as game to Eric said he got 30 blue hares as quick as he got rabbits.so that put me off from going up there to mate.
Oh right, like the sound of the dogs you bred with the whippet blood, bet they done well down on the durham hill farms, eric had a young bitch out of axel and a dxg bitch, unusual looking thing she was black and white, dont know who she went to though

I've only ever seen 1 1stx black with white chest which was strange instead of brindle.my mate had it which was a decent dog mate.the ones I bred the bitches made 23tts and dogs 25tts one lad on here was well chuffed with his from when I spoke to him a few years ago.