Grand Vitara 1.6

Pros and cons of these motors, was looking at different engines but the 1.6 is the only one I can insure for under a grand.

Wanting to use it as an everyday car and lamping motor my plan is to have two sets of wheels one with road tyres for summer and a set with mud tyres on for lamping.

Opinions please ?

Are they good off road, di they have plenty power are they reliable and what can I expect mpg

• 4 weeks later...

I love vitara's, never had a diff go on me, drive through anything, have seen defenders stuck where mine drives through, I wasted money sticking all terrains on iit for 6 months, before changing to mud terrains and leave on all the time, a little more noisey on tarmac, but great when you hit the brown stuff

• Like 1

Pros and cons of these motors, was looking at different engines but the 1.6 is the only one I can insure for under a grand.

Wanting to use it as an everyday car and lamping motor my plan is to have two sets of wheels one with road tyres for summer and a set with mud tyres on for lamping.

Opinions please ?

Are they good off road, di they have plenty power are they reliable and what can I expect mpg

Go for a Forester mine gets abused and just keeps on going. I use mine for lamping and work.

Get it on lpg I average about 50mpg (lpg half the price of petrol)

I have a Vitara brilliant little 4x4 and very reliable

Been using mine as a lamping vehicle for the past 2 years and nine times out of ten ill just jump in it for everyday use also....pickup is just sitting there unused

I just put a set of cheap insa turbo tyres on it...still going good after 2 years

I just slapped loads of waxoil on the sills and back arches

Only problems I've had is a leaky sump and breaking back door handles both Diy easy fixes

I have had 2 1.6 vitara's and now have a 2.0td I actually prefer the 1.6 as it seems alot more reliable and no turbo to go which has happened to me but all turbos go at some point.

The only time I have been stuck in the mud is when I went off roading with road tyres got stuck at 4am in the morning and had no phone signal had to walk 2 miles before I got signal to get the miss to come collect me and then again when I drove into a bog whilst lamping about not looking were I was going.

The difference a set of good mud tyres makes is night and day

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...