Slow To Start Hilux

Had my hilux about 11-12 years now and never missed a beat, starts on the button every time but first couple of cold mornings this year and it doesn't seem to want to start straight away have to turn it over 10-15 seconds before it starts firing then lots of smoke as it starts

I've never replaced glow plugs could it be that do you think?

Any other ideas?

It's serviced every year by my mate but just filters, basic service

quick test (before you take them out), disconnect the live lead or remove the copper strip if they are all connected together, with ignition OFF get a test lamp of just a simple bulb holder with a couple of long bits of wire and see if it comes on when you connect between the live battery terminal and the end of the glow plug, no light = dead glow plug

• Like 1

Battery's ok I replaced 1 in the summer the other 1 is ok, I assume both are linked? It turns over nice and fast no loss of power

Dogmad, same it's fine once it's warm

I got mate doing new anti roll bar drop links on Tuesday I will get him to check glow plugs then, cheers guys

Can't fault the old girl really 12 years and nothing but new tyres, couple of battery's and a few rubber bushes

Quick test on glow plugs using a multi meter. Connect one end to the glow plug connector and the other to the negative. If they ok you should get a reading of about 41ohmsish (could be wrong it's been awhile) if they knackered it will either be really high or really low ohmic value.

Edited by dogmad riley