80Metre Shot-How Much Power?

I've been out calibrating near and far ranges today.

Worked out drop from 10m out to 60m ( 33mm 5 shot group @4mdots) with the TX.

Now there's a telegraph pole @80metres which requires 7mildots holdover. Would you say this is enough penetration to drop a pigeon? These pellets were shot at 80m AA field diabolo .22

What scope has more than the 4mildots my Nikko sterling has either side of the cross hair. I could do without but the 3mildots of windage really get you off target and lost. Looking at a new scope so reccomedations please :-) zeroed @30m currently.

post-101242-0-06332700-1448028945_thumb.png

Edited by Zimpara
  • Like 1

Just re zeroed @35m and shooting 65m on 3mildots.

Just need the range time and adjust trigger a bit lighter.

And no wind hppefully the groups will shrink. Some pics of groups getting onto 65m targets. 2 groups at each target and then aim off accordingly for bull.

post-101242-0-93821300-1448032700_thumb.jpg

post-101242-0-15522300-1448032785_thumb.jpg

There's a few phone apps about that will tell you too. I currently use nimoh ballistics on windows.

You will probably get a few telling you the same thing zimp and I don't want to curb your enthusiasm but don't shoot at live quarry unless you can get a 3 shot group in the 9's at said range.

• Like 1

Its all well and good shooting out to 80mtrs but can you put pellet on pellet at that range if not then dont even try to shoot a pigeon at that range .

and the answer to your question is yes if you go for a head shot

witch is all the more harder at that range as the head of a pigeon will look the size of a pea

and its more that your happy and confidant to shoot out to 80mtrs

Dont get me wrong it can be done but it takes a hell of a lot of practice

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Mac, I appreciate it's all well and good, I'm not about to start trying 80m shots. I cap myself at whatever range I can group in a £1 coin for live targets. Which is 45m right now, standing supported.

With that said, what good practice shooting at 60-65m which I shot around 300pellets at today. (Did the full tin.) Anything 45m or less looks like you are on top of it.

Cheers for input all. Still looking for a scope with more than 4 mildots. ;-)

Mac, I appreciate it's all well and good, I'm not about to start trying 80m shots. I cap myself at whatever range I can group in a £1 coin for live targets. Which is 45m right now, standing supported.

With that said, what good practice shooting at 60-65m which I shot around 300pellets at today. (Did the full tin.) Anything 45m or less looks like you are on top of it.

Cheers for input all. Still looking for a scope with more than 4 mildots. ;-)

Zim are you sure about being on top of it at 45 mtrs ? have you used a tape or range finder to check that out.

I asked a question regarding distance that a hw100 in 22 and 177 and said what would happen if I kept moving the targets out 40/50/60 yards would one or the other give up as the target were moved out.

Well Zim all I can say is that they were a bit upset to say the least. I was shaking the tree to find out about the legend that is the hw100. In the passage of time and with the help of the forum I now no what is possible and what practical and safe.

A mate who is looking to get into air rifles picked a spot across the farm and said will they work at that distance, I asked hi how far he thought it was and he said 50 mtrs and when I paced it out it was 95 yards !

People on here say they get a hole lot closer that you are looking for.

Think that episode of VHhis imp was running at 10.5fpe and at his 44 metre it was doing about 6fpe. I think it also says that you need 3.5 fpe to kill a rabbit. If you double the distance and halve the data you'd hit it with 3fpe which wouldn't kill a rabbit.

I'm quite comfortable taking shots at 45-55 metres but I've been shooting for years in civvy street and military. I like stalking up on prey the most to about 40 metres then take the shot, no point in wasting lead or injuring target.

Edited by Del1810
  • Like 3