Hunting On Your Own

When something bad does happen it tends to enlighten your desire for a longer life ,like having best part of 5 tons of sand on your back whilst stupidly tunelling into a vertical sand face .Luckily i wasnt alone or that would of been my grave .

Hats off to anyone hunting hounds alone but IMO and only my opinion to dig alone is fool hardy .

Feck me bet you said your prayers that night! :laugh:

When I think about some of the sticky situations I've in digging with pals it makes me shudder to think what the outcome would of been if I had been on my own. Definitely a very dangerous game to be doing on your own, you'd have to pick your spots very carefully and even then things could go south fast.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is a wonderful feeling when out on your own and you get somekind of good results. I am talking about terriers here.I don't know what other people think upon here about taking just one terrier out,

Typical on your own scenario this morning. Terrier in and fox bolts. Lurcher pulls him down around 15 foot from a house and garden. Just as I was about to run over to the lurcher here's the terrier

Suppose it's ok if you plenty of open country to go at going out on your own! But too many roads round us for no one to be on them and make sure hounds cross safely

Hard work on ur own especially with hounds if one hound picked up bad habit it wouldn't take long for the rest to start the trend so that's when a good set of knowledgeable eyes from the outside comes in very useful also a terriers life could easily be lost with one man trying to do two jobs with a sharp pack of hounds too close looking in that's why there's huntsmen and terrier men

It is a wonderful feeling when out on your own and you get somekind of good results. I am talking about terriers here.I don't know what other people think upon here about taking just one terrier out, building a rapport, bond a special knowledge of an up and coming dog. In my opinion it is very different with an experienced dog; one is aware at the experienced dogs abilities when working you have learned through many hours of watching and getting results what an experienced dog can do. To myself, a young dog is a total somewhat different type of animal if the dog isn't one of those rare freaks of a nature a (NATURAL) seems to have done it all before.In all honesty I have only ever been really witness to one of those type but that's another story. Then by the other yardstick perhaps one of the best all-rounders I have had the privilege to see work was an old fashioned Russell bitch approx born in (1975) myself being around 10 years of age and I had the mother also, a dog called Tina.Betsy, the daughter wouldn't consider looking at a Fox until she was 4 years of age.However, when she encountered a first season Fox cub which was ready for dispersal she never looked back.I understand fully regarding the safety aspects but I was like many other good men I was prepared to take those somewhat silly ,dangerous risks; especially in the deep sand earths which existed in the Nottinghamshire countryside.How many dogs have met their untimely and unfortunate deaths in such haphazardness situations?It always takes a good terrier to find in such places, especially if other dogs have just been in or a terrier has failed and there is fresh scent; then there is even the chance of some dogs digging to the humble Rabbit. How many obstacles can be present.However, many so- called good men over look such avenues. That's when experience comes into play once again by taking a dog out by itself .In shallow places it isn't too bad I would suppose in deep places it would always be advisable for at least one person there in question.However, I must admit I did find it a strange feeling working by oneself and a good dog.It is surprising that some people are rather afraid to go on their own. And a lot of the guys will know that there are many who either don't like digging or they make it look somewhat difficult.I don't wish to name call but there is a certain guy on this forum who admittedly does get some good results with his Ferrets and dog.However, show him a deep dig and watch his face! We have met them.But like a good old boy once taught us many years ago, he always commented 'saying the B******S always get by in life! 'For example the great talkers get by because so many people find them impressive to listen to. However, of course it doesn't mean they are the so-called experts.Some years back a well known friend, more noted for catching Rabbits than terrier work and a superb shot was on holiday in Zambia.They was coming to a close and my good friend decided it a good idea to go Fishing for one last time. He was a most wonderful and strong swimmer and thought it best that his life jacket wouldn't be needed. The locals advised rather differently but unfortunately my friend thought he knew better. The waves became very choppy and over turned the boat. One of my friends by somekind of miracle managed to somehow get back to dry land. Unfortunately for my other friend who was an exceedingly strong, powerful swimmer didn't find the proximity of the safe haven of dry land. His poor body fragmented between the choppy waves, his bruised and battered body taken by the force of nature.2 English Marines were nearby and tried to work on him,but to no avail. His life had been taken by the nature he loved.I often think of the great times we had together for nearly 35 years but that will be no more. However, without the depression I thank the great lord for the times I shared with him.It is so strange the attraction we as hunters delight in. I wish everyone a good day good hunting and enjoy the friendship you have with your dogs. Merry Christmas to everyone and an happy new year for 2016. (Keep the Flag Flying)

Lutra Lutra.

• Like 10