Yap On One Thing But Not Another

Has anyone had a dog that would yap on rabbits but not on other things, let's just say a fox for arguments sake ?

Would you work with the dog and not run rabbits or get rid even if you realy liked the dog. Just a bit food for thought ?

I've been on big organised coursing days ,,with lurchers bred out of the top lines,,and herd them let out the odd yip and yap,,,yet them dogs still killed hares,,,and of course there owners kept them...

The worse thing is not catching game,,,if they yap the odd time but catch plenty,,so what,,,if they don't catch any,,,there's your real problem..

Ask yourself can you live with it

• Like 11

Get rid cause it yaps. Really???????

Could have the best dog in the world but getting rid cause it gives odd bark here and there.

See it as a challange. How proud you going to be when then dog catching rabbit and not a noise from him. Or take the easy path and get rid cause you ant got the skills to train the dog. Yapper means it highly strung , like a race hoarse. That's good cause it's got fire in its belly. Just how you bring it on. If I give me whippet good slips . Guess what catchs and no gaps. If I take a first season dog on the golf coarse yaps. Pick your runs and ground and got half a chance,last 2 months my pups gone from screaming like a banshee, to now running in silence. Proberly 2 barks in 20 runs.

What I'm saying is don't give up at the first hurdle

Some loathe it and some can live with it..I have a dog here at home that was like a stealth bomber up until he lost an eye in a hunting related freak of an accident..now whilst chasing quarry through forestry/thick cover he will give the odd bit of mouth,not always but the majority of times he will..I can live with it,I use him to flush gear out now,kind of like a Spaniel,I know when something's gonna come exploding out the forest etc and so does my other mutt..he's no good for lamping these days but he catches plenty of tackle still,I've seen him 20 yards behind his quarry in a wood yet he used his nose instead of eyesight,he's just frustrated to the hilt as he knows his enemy is right there but he just struggles with his vision whilst running amongst trees etc..its your call as to whether you can live with it,don't listen to what others on here say in the main..they don't have to live with it,personally I'd try and make something positive of it as I have done with my old warrior..good luck with whatever you decide on doing ?

• Like 5

Get rid cause it yaps. Really???????

Could have the best dog in the world but getting rid cause it gives odd bark here and there.

See it as a challange. How proud you going to be when then dog catching rabbit and not a noise from him. Or take the easy path and get rid cause you ant got the skills to train the dog. Yapper means it highly strung , like a race hoarse. That's good cause it's got fire in its belly. Just how you bring it on. If I give me whippet good slips . Guess what catchs and no gaps. If I take a first season dog on the golf coarse yaps. Pick your runs and ground and got half a chance,last 2 months my pups gone from screaming like a banshee, to now running in silence. Proberly 2 barks in 20 runs.

What I'm saying is don't give up at the first hurdle

I agree with "don't give up at the first hurdle. But not with "ain't got the skills to train it".

Yapping isn't down to training. Sure you can try and put a dog in a better position to reduce yapping but SOME dogs are yappers. You won't cure it. Cesar Milan won't cure it.

I've seen plenty of "keen" dogs give out a little yap when on the slip or when first slipped. Yes this is frustration and they can grow out of it. But full on yapping when behind something is a bit different.

The dog I'm on about is possibly the keenest dog I have seen and he only yaps when a rabbit turns 180 degrees and makes a little gap then once he is back to it he doesn't make a sound but he will yap when he loses a bit ground on his rabbits, is he a good rabbit dog arm no he misses more than he catches he yaps less frequent than he did but it frustrates the hell out of me.

I keep thinking he will grow out of it but I'm not to sure

The dog I'm on about is possibly the keenest dog I have seen and he only yaps when a rabbit turns 180 degrees and makes a little gap then once he is back to it he doesn't make a sound but he will yap when he loses a bit ground on his rabbits, is he a good rabbit dog arm no he misses more than he catches he yaps less frequent than he did but it frustrates the hell out of me.

I keep thinking he will grow out of it but I'm not to sure

sounds to me like it'll come with more easy rabbits for him

the truth of the matter is all dogs have faults. abit of whimpering or the odd yap wouldnt bother me in a dog as long has the dog is getting the desired job done. ive been lucky enough to have not owned a yapper.

Tomo has pretty much summed it up with post.

• Like 1