Daystate Huntsman Regal .22

I love my daystates , period

But there has been controversial reports on this model, as Simion will tell you when he reads your thread !

If by chance your thinking of getting one hang on a bit , wait mate till you get a few thoughts and opinions from members

I've never owned one , so can't really comment, but there's fec all wrong with mine but they are not the huntsman !

Must admit tho there are better rifles out there in that price range

Atb

Dave

• Like 1

I love my daystates , period

But there has been controversial reports on this model, as Simion will tell you when he reads your thread !

If by chance your thinking of getting one hang on a bit , wait mate till you get a few thoughts and opinions from members

I've never owned one , so can't really comment, but there's fec all wrong with mine but they are not the huntsman !

Must admit tho there are better rifles out there in that price range

Atb

Dave

Good point JT :laugh:

Right I'm opening with what I think is honest, open-minded advice on the Regal based on owning one after a lifetime of spring rifle shooting.

DEFINITELY buy one in .22. But be aware that there's an annoying niggle or two to get round to get the best out of them, off the peg.

I own one in .177. It is an elegant handling rifle, beautiful to look at as much to shoot with. It is really, phenominally accurate. A genuine one hole, pellet-on-pellet group at 40 metres cannot be sniffed at or dismissed as a poor show in accuracy.

The downside is, it is an un-regulated rifle and that means it has a sweetspot of about 150-160 bar pressure in the cylinder. At this level it will produce 11.3 ft/lbs energy. Fill it to 210 bar and the energy drops a whole one foot pound to 10.3.

10.3 foot pounds energy might be considered by some to be all you need for hunting. I say it is barely adequate and not enough to ensure a clean kill with a shot to the head of a rabbit. I have seen enough of them scuttle off with severe head wounds to die down holes, that would otherwise have been killed clean on the spot with more oomph behind the pellet, so do not try to convince me otherwise.

There have been honest and genuine grounds for complaint with Daystate's build quality of this rifle, including one or two by myself. But, in my experience Daystate did put these right.

It needs a decent regulator to get a more efficient performance out of the cylinder capacity and a better, more consistent power output.

A gripe I do have still, is the magazine is prone to jamming and getting stuck. In the field, that is a total pain in the arse.

If you love the looks and have decided this is the rifle for you, then buy one only after trying one for yourself is the best advice I can offer to would-be purchasers. Daystate are claiming to be working on improving their service with the Regal, but until I see proof of positive changes for the better, it's a case of Buyer Beware with this rifle.

Final word here. It has a very useful multishot capability, as long as the magazine works as it should, but that's all it has really. It will never take first place over my spring rifles which are every bit as accurate and get on with the job with none of the bollocks of owning PCPs.

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 1