• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pic of dog 17tts

First x border whippet. 13 month old.

Posted Images

He looks good pal, coat is a major let down for some beddy xs I think they can be too linty. That dogs coat looks sound. I thought the border lakeland would give a better jacket.

his coat is very strong his brother which my daughter owns is abit more shaggy but softer than his the other two which are local are smooth but thicker than whippets.

What type was he put to produce youre bitch krawnden?

Mixed ancestry terrier - fair bit of russell, a bit of lakeland and quite a few generations back there was a cross to a bull terrier. Although only quarter whippet my bitch is very fast for her size and has tremendous prey drive with a great nose. But her coat is thin unfortunately. That's the one thing about her I'd change if I could.

That's is a cracking dog Samurai, does he yap when he is chasing?

no he is silent

He looks a cracking dog

I might have a bit of an obsession with these whirriers, I saw a regular poster on here mention he crossed lakelands with greyhounds but he reckons they didn't work?

• Like 1

Ive read posts from irish lads on here about how good some Irish terrier x greyhounds were years ago. But they seem to be a thing of the past now......which generally tells its own story, but maybe its more of a 'trends' thing with rise of the saluki and bull xs??

Whippet x terriers, and the x's out of them can make really good dogs, a few lads round here had these x's years ago and we still talk about them, a couple were really top notch animals. The best rabbitting terrier i ever owned came from a whippet x terrier being put back into terriers, hell of a rabbiting bitch, and didn't drop in.

I had all this in mind when we bred whippet x spaniels, not a terrier granted, but the result is very similar. The law being what it is now is probably influencing the types being bred more than it just being a fashion thing, nice to see lads taking a chance on these types again imo, i don't regret breeding mine for a second. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Whippet x terriers, and the x's out of them can make really good dogs, a few lads round here had these x's years ago and we still talk about them, a couple were really top notch animals. The best rabbitting terrier i ever owned came from a whippet x terrier being put back into terriers, hell of a rabbiting bitch, and didn't drop in.

I had all this in mind when we bred whippet x spaniels, not a terrier granted, but the result is very similar. The law being what it is now is probably influencing the types being bred more than it just being a fashion thing, nice to see lads taking a chance on these types again imo, i don't regret breeding mine for a second. :thumbs:

With the law this is my thinking, instead of using an earth dog for a bit of rabbiting, breeding dogs for it, I think in the end I would like to end up with a spaniel, a terrier whippet and a lurcher, with these I think I could cover everything I need to

• Like 1

I think you're on the right lines there Tozer. By having a mixed pack they'll each hopefully have their own speciality and between them have all bases covered. For the exact same reason I may well add a cocker or cocker x terrier to my lurcher and whirrier cross at some point in the future.

• Like 1

That's is a cracking dog Samurai, does he yap when he is chasing?

no he is silent

He looks a cracking dog

I might have a bit of an obsession with these whirriers, I saw a regular poster on here mention he crossed lakelands with greyhounds but he reckons they didn't work?

that may have been me. I bred a litter of laky./ greyhounds twentyfive years ago now. they never set the heather on fire tbh I regret not using my old beddy whippet. a very hard little old style lurcher that genuinely would face the devil . but you live and learn. when your young you think you can reinvent the wheel. :blink: I now have a similar style whirrier with old ozzy :thumbs:

With the law this is my thinking, instead of using an earth dog for a bit of rabbiting, breeding dogs for it, I think in the end I would like to end up with a spaniel, a terrier whippet and a lurcher, with these I think I could cover everything I need to

That mix sounds ok to me mate, but if i had that combo i would get the whippet x terrier and get it working off its own back before getting the spaniel, if you do it the other way round the terrier x might be goal lagging to much, they tend to be smart little dogs, you could end up with a slow lurcher rather than a fast busher? Just a thought.

My current terrier is a bit of a goal hanger. Dad's litter mate to it flies through anything. They both had the same entering. Sometimes I think it is in the dog or not.

I'd defiantly be making sure the coat is right. My mate has a leggy 14" part x lakie hat is evil with anything. It'd die before it gave on. I'be always dancing putting it under a whippet. That drive with a bit of speed in my mind would be good.

9b20147c-11fb-4e98-903d-1da2c0bd7684.jpg

Riprabbit.jpg

2014-03-01%2016.15.50.jpg

• Like 1

My current terrier is a bit of a goal hanger. Dad's litter mate to it flies through anything. They both had the same entering. Sometimes I think it is in the dog or not.

I'd defiantly be making sure the coat is right. My mate has a leggy 14" part x lakie hat is evil with anything. It'd die before it gave on. I'be always dancing putting it under a whippet. That drive with a bit of speed in my mind would be good.

9b20147c-11fb-4e98-903d-1da2c0bd7684.jpg

Riprabbit.jpg

2014-03-01%2016.15.50.jpg

Nice pics them, there's some big rats in that last pic also like that dog on the left is that the patt x lakie. atb daywalker. ps thats a nice sized chubb.

Edited by day and night walker