New To Ferreting

Hi all, I've just brought two ferrets to start working, as this will be my first time working ferrets, has anyone got any tips? or can tell me anything I shouldn't do?. I live in Horley in Surrey so if anyone is near to me that could possibly take me out for the day for some experience it would be much appreciated, I am not trying to worm myself onto someone's permission as I have my own permission, I just want some knowledge.

Thanks Craig.

i only started last year and to be honest, aside from having someone to go out with and learn from the next best thing is a forum like this and youtube.

get on youtube at night and watch ferreting videos - see how other people do it, how they work certain types of land then get out and try it for yourself. if it works great, if it doesn't then try something different the next weekend!

the only hard and fast rules really are a finder with spare batteries, a spade and a handful of purse nets. anything above that is just making your life easier but your bag heavier!

offering to take an old hand out on one of your own permissions is probably the simplest way of getting hands on experience with an established ferreter - build the trust and relationship with them and you will probably get the odd invite onto their land off the back of it later this season or next year. the main thing to do is enjoy it.

• Like 6

Things I would recommend - good pair of gloves and maybe something to clear around holes. As said spare batteries for your locator and collar, good spade, few spare pegs. A way to carry your quarry.my only real tip is to be as quiet as possible when approaching and netting a set, and when the ferret is in the set try to stay out of line of site of the holes as sometimes rabbits won't bolt and they will just keep running around the set

It's all common sense really,watch a couple of tutorials or ask someone to show you how to set the nets. Trial and error really, after your first couple of visits you will have a God idea and find all the pop holes and stuff you missed first time around.all the best mate

• Like 1

My advice would be watch a couple of youtube vids and get out and give it a go. If you`ve got permission your sorted. Try paying a recce visit early morning or dusk and see whats about and where they are running to. Like any fishing or hunting, if you can find them, your halfway there... And just remember, you can only kill them once. Once youve caught them all, their gone so never stop looking for permission.

• Like 2