Brambles first. Soak in sugar for a goodly while. I would say at least a hundred pounds of berries to a pound of sugar. Leave until the bubbles start and then add the gin or vodka. (alright by now you know I was kidding about the berries but seriously have a lot.) Leave Leave Leave. This stuff improves daily after 12 weeks and when you are ferreting, stalking, game shooting or whatever in the cold, it's blinking lovely. Most of the recipes iv'e found kind of relate to a pound to a pound but to be honest Iv'e found that the more fruit gives a better texture and colour. I know one thing. All local lads have their order in 12 months in advance.

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Katchum, above is spot on, keep the container, kilner jar or whatever in a cool dark place....first few weeks give it a shake now and then...keeps it activated....strain it through a good bit of musli

Know what. You Joks don.t even know what a sloe looks like, Bet you think they,re beechnuts

Yep. you certainly don.t know you plums from your damsons or your sloes. Actually I;m sure you do and they all make great Winter Vodka. I.m looking forward to sparring with you my friend. Mostly it.s

Posted Images

Brambles first. Soak in sugar for a goodly while. I would say at least a hundred pounds of berries to a pound of sugar. Leave until the bubbles start and then add the gin or vodka. (alright by now you know I was kidding about the berries but seriously have a lot.) Leave Leave Leave. This stuff improves daily after 12 weeks and when you are ferreting, stalking, game shooting or whatever in the cold, it's blinking lovely. Most of the recipes iv'e found kind of relate to a pound to a pound but to be honest Iv'e found that the more fruit gives a better texture and colour. I know one thing. All local lads have their order in 12 months in advance.

Katchum, above is spot on, keep the container, kilner jar or whatever in a cool dark place....first few weeks give it a shake now and then...keeps it activated....strain it through a good bit of muslin to get rid of any lumpy bits!! You wont regret it, its crackin....and this year is gonna be a bumber year, the bushes are hanging with fruit....did my rounds this morning with the dogs....

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Is it as simple as that lads? steralise a container fruit and sugar water, when bubbling add vodka/gin, in a feww weeks strain it off?

I had some sloe gin last year off a fella I know, Im sure he just put sloe's straight in the gin? Mind you Id had a fair few pints and then was a couple glasses of that stuff down when asking how he made it!!!

Made some bramble whisky last year and around Christmas time, gave it a try and it was garbage so added a bit more sugar. Tried it again a month or so later and still garbage so just left it. Decided to bottle it anyway about a month ago and it's bloody lovely now so I'm not quite sure what I'd need to do to have it drinkable after 12 weeks or so, must have missed something.......

Eh up you lot. Picked my damsons about 20 mins ago. Should I say shook the branches. Talk about ripe and sweet. Perfect for the gin and vodka. Same recipe as mentioned before. Get them in lads and lasses.

Ditto this, pots of jam sorted and Gin and Vodka already on the go :yes:

My lads will definitely not wait that long. I dropped a bit of a bollock however in as much as using a double bag of sugar. Had to go out and pick another 5lbs. Shucks that means 4 litres of vodka. Can't wait till January.

• 2 weeks later...

Well you guys. Got back from Fuertoventura early this morning and apart from Sunday dinner had to strain the damsons. The colour is fantastic and the right amount of fermentation going on. Put it all in a Rumptoff and just got to decide between gin or vodka, Looked at the sloe situation and to be honest we in this area don't have a problem. Bring on the first frost and we will be picking. What's this I read about people paying for sloes?? Flipping heck we could make a fortune from here.If you want some then please let me know. Not bothered about making money but I can't let you guys go without. Never know I might be in the same predicament someday.(god forbid).

• Like 1

Hi again you lot. I've just down 3 litres of raspberry vodka which you might think is a bit late but luckily the frost didn't hit till this morning. (midlands). But because it has I'm off for the sloes. Happy happy days.