I'm going sloe picking tomorrow as they are early this year, it's been a good year I think as the hedges at my smallholding are thick with em

I make sloe vodka as I don't like gin, does anyone else make it? And what recipe do you use?

I usually put the sugar in at the start but have read you get more flavour out the sloes if you put it in before bottling?, may try that this year

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Katchum, above is spot on, keep the container, kilner jar or whatever in a cool dark place....first few weeks give it a shake now and then...keeps it activated....strain it through a good bit of musli

Know what. You Joks don.t even know what a sloe looks like, Bet you think they,re beechnuts

Yep. you certainly don.t know you plums from your damsons or your sloes. Actually I;m sure you do and they all make great Winter Vodka. I.m looking forward to sparring with you my friend. Mostly it.s

Posted Images

Got some blackberry vodka here that is ready to be sieved, i just sent for some coffee filters to sieve it through but it is not going through very well.

Also losing the vodka which is absorbing all into the coffee filters lol.

What is the best way you find to filter it.

Article here on adding the sugar after as a syrup.

Sloe Gin

Thanks

SINDASOX

I've read I few articles that said their about a month early this year

I've got a stainless funnel with a mesh in it, let's small bits through but not to much, I have used muslin in the past and was good

I've used coffee filters once took bloody ages

By gum you are never to old to learn. I can't believe you start Sloe gin the first of September. The sugar, naturally formed in the fruit can't possibly be ready, and to my knowledge the first frost is what makes the berries the best for the Gin or Vodka or Brandy. Unless you are concerned about nicking your fruit, my advise is to leave alone for a while. At this time of year I am doing Blackcurrant Vodka, Blackberry Vodka, Plum gin and a few little other recipes. Would not entertain Sloes until November 1st, Never tried the freezer though??

Yep. you certainly don.t know you plums from your damsons or your sloes. Actually I;m sure you do and they all make great Winter Vodka. I.m looking forward to sparring with you my friend. Mostly it.s going to be garden related but within the next 5 weeks we will be stalking and rabbitting, making pies etc etc.

• Like 1

Got some blackberry vodka here that is ready to be sieved, i just sent for some coffee filters to sieve it through but it is not going through very well.

Also losing the vodka which is absorbing all into the coffee filters lol.

What is the best way you find to filter it.

Article here on adding the sugar after as a syrup.

Sloe Gin

Thanks

SINDASOX

Whatever you use to filter it (coffee filters, muslin or an old pair of y-fronts :laugh:) make sure you dampen it with water before filtering, stops the vodka soaking into it :thumbs:

I've already had rhubarb and ginger gin this summer, it was lovely.

Looking forward to repeating my bramble gin on a bigger scale than last year and I am going to try the damsons when I get my hands on them.

You have to try the bramble gin, it's cracking....

Myself and a mate are also about to start our brewing lab in his place...looking forward to getting back into the beer and wine making, always liked it....

]I've already had rhubarb and ginger gin this summer, it was lovely.

Looking forward to repeating my bramble gin on a bigger scale than last year and I am going to try the damsons when I get my hands on them.

You have to try the bramble gin, it's cracking....

Myself and a mate are also about to start our brewing lab in his place...looking forward to getting back into the beer and wine making, always liked it....

How do you make your bramble gin?

I might try bramble vodka

• Like 1