Bassets

MFH ONEDAY

I've had lots of days out hunting with packs of bassets over the years and although you might find it hard to believe, they can shift at a fair old pace when they hit a line. Here's a short clip I took of the Leadon Vale a couple of seasons ago which gives you an indication of their speed -

• Like 4

I remember hiding in a wood,after running an hare or 2,it would not have been any more :toast: ,dogs would,nt have accounted for 3,anyhows i was hiding from the local Beagle pack and followers,as we where want to do at times.My most lasting memory is of the basset hounds that ran with them then,how they navigated the walls and fences and often came an honourable second to the chase,id not have believed what they were capable of without my wood secrecy at those times.

• Like 1

Bassets are slower or should be. A Bassett is a full hound on shorter legs. Hounds born with this condition like dwarfism used to be destroyed until someone decided to breed it in for the purpose of slowing the hound down.. The Bassett makes up with a deep scenting ability and hes very good on a drag. The Griffon vendeen is diffrent,faster a bit mad and very liable to change on a line. I'd much rather watch English Bassetts. I know the real hunting Bassetts have more leg and Harrier blood has been used by packs like the Westerby but they wouldnt want to get too leggy and fast or they wont be Bassetts,,,if that makes sense.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. Im fascinated with the idea of a couple in my mixed pack to be honest. Finding workers might not be easy? English bassets a bit like foxhounds not given away/sold outside of established packs perhaps. Like the griffons though so might be an option.

• 3 weeks later...