Pheasant Cross Chicken

remember an old traveler acquaintance yrs ago telling me of phantams. he said they used o.e.g. bantys and produced some tidy birds. to be honest, i was never 100% sure he wasn't spinning me an old tinker tall tale...

Yokel

i read a old book by ian niall called around my house. He tried to breed phantams but failed. In the book he said he was fairly sure the cross could be achieved but had so much going on i dont know if he pursued it further.

I bred some by running a cock pheasant in a mixed pen of pheasant hens and little red bantams. The chicks were bigger and stronger than pheasant chicks straight from the egg even though the bantam hens were smaller than the pheasant hens. The phantom chicks were more advanced from the start and also more wild.

They turned out quite leggy and speckly and though they could fly ,tended to run a lot. In fact they became known as the Roadrunners and eventually spurned our little Shoot for the big woods over the boundary

Eventually one of the Keepers on the neighbouring land shot one off a barn roof just to get a closer look at the funny birds that had been sprinting between the Guns all season. He was pretty sure he knew what it was but when I saw him next he asked for confirmation with the opening line " I just know you've got something to do with it!"

A couple of the others were spotted for a couple of years after that. They seemed to have a good sense of self-preservation . Hybrid vigour maybe.

A friend copied some old video film of the old days to DVD and gave me a copy. There is a brief glimpse of the phantom chicks aside their pheasant half siblings. If I can work out how to extract a picture I will but don't hold your breathe as I'm a bit of a techno -numpty.

• Like 1

I bred some by running a cock pheasant in a mixed pen of pheasant hens and little red bantams. The chicks were bigger and stronger than pheasant chicks straight from the egg even though the bantam hens were smaller than the pheasant hens. The phantom chicks were more advanced from the start and also more wild.

They turned out quite leggy and speckly and though they could fly ,tended to run a lot. In fact they became known as the Roadrunners and eventually spurned our little Shoot for the big woods over the boundary

Eventually one of the Keepers on the neighbouring land shot one off a barn roof just to get a closer look at the funny birds that had been sprinting between the Guns all season. He was pretty sure he knew what it was but when I saw him next he asked for confirmation with the opening line " I just know you've got something to do with it!"

A couple of the others were spotted for a couple of years after that. They seemed to have a good sense of self-preservation . Hybrid vigour maybe.

A friend copied some old video film of the old days to DVD and gave me a copy. There is a brief glimpse of the phantom chicks aside their pheasant half siblings. If I can work out how to extract a picture I will but don't hold your breathe as I'm a bit of a techno -numpty.

Try playing the DVD stopping it at the appropriate place and take a screen shot of it. Press print screen, then open up paint and press control and V at the same time and the picture will appear.

TC

• Like 1

Try playing the DVD stopping it at the appropriate place and take a screen shot of it. Press print screen, then open up paint and press control and V at the same time and the picture will appear.

TC

I went low-tech and froze the DVD and took a photo of the screen-hence the quality is rubbish:) The yellow chick is the phantom. The bantam hen with the chicks is one used to make the cross . The phantoms stayed the orangy colour of the mother but took the pheasant shape.

post-13773-0-34580500-1440801121_thumb.jpg

post-13773-0-94424400-1440801151_thumb.jpg

post-13773-0-46527300-1440801178_thumb.jpg

Its hard to tell but the big yellow poult in front of the white one is one of the the phantoms

post-13773-0-00619900-1440801632_thumb.jpg

Now ,dammit,I have the urge to breed some more .

Edited by comanche
  • Like 2