No Recall Hunting Up

IM SHAW YOU WOULD OF SEEN THIS BUILDING UP,,,, IT SHUD OF BIN NIPPED IN THE BUD MONTHS BACK,,, DONT TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY BUT THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE WHO IVE BIN OUT WITH,,THEY SAY THEY DO THIS AND THAT WITH THE PUPS,,, AND WHEN YOU SEE HOW THE TRAINING IS UN, REAL,,

Edited by tjones3862
  • Like 3

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IM SHAW YOU WOULD OF SEEN THIS BUILDING UP,,,, IT SHUD OF BIN NIPPED IN THE BUD MONTHS BACK,,, DONT TAKE THIS THE WRONG WAY BUT THE AMOUNT OF PEOPLE WHO IVE BIN OUT WITH,,THEY SAY THEY DO THIS AND THA

It's a stage. They call it the 'flight' stage, which seems to me to be the wrong term. I call it the AWOL stage. You'll get through it but ONLY if you do not punish the dog. This is not being soft, fo

It hasn't 'gone wrong' as such. The dog is just going through a stage in its life where it feels the need to assert its independence and its prey drive has kicked in big time. You have to work through

Posted Images

Am absolutely gutted took my one year old bitch out yesterday just for a walk and empty let her off lead and she is off . Call her nothing no response starts to hunt up while I'm calling her not paying any attention to me . Then bang she was off me calling her and calling I had steam coming out of my ears !!!!! Well I lost her for over an 1 and a 1/2 hours my blood was boiling couldn't sleep most of last night wanting to break the c**ts neck !!!!!! Now at one year old what is best way to amend this bearing in mind season is just around the corner help needed or she will be getting the shovel !!!!!!

chill lol , I knows it hard but the dog will get better honest , all you can do is when not hunting area =sents etc just keep giving lots of recall with praise + tit bits , lots of stays_+waits .it always hard with young dogs because once they seen game or had couple rabbits, everything goes out of the window , they leave there brain in the kennel .lol feck me ive had Buck my young dog go for a 1 hour in the day, he seen some fallow was gone I have had quite few times day+ night, where he done well had few rabbits, night going great, then he something else , and goes deaf like a goes fecken rocket after it :censored: he 3 now and 100% better , but he been a prat when bit younger. but being honest I rather have dog like him who gives 100% with every run, than a dog who only runs what (he) wants :yes: hang in there mate :thumbs:

• Like 1

It's funny I've sat there today at work thinking where did it go wrong !!! Last week she was my pride and joy now this and your right tjones she has been very aloof at times but in Genral ive made mountains out of mole heels . But looking back I can only blame myself did I not spend enough time with her ?? My wife's reply was you spend more time with that pup than your boys !!! Then was I to soft and she is pushing her limit ?? Is it I'm bring a coursing dog on ( sul ) compared to my normal laid back deerhound type she is very highly strung !! Think it's get home and just sit with her then take both for walk then take her out on her own ball and tug games and I'm going to try the eye balling her it works on humans cheers for advise Davey

It hasn't 'gone wrong' as such. The dog is just going through a stage in its life where it feels the need to assert its independence and its prey drive has kicked in big time. You have to work through this slowly and patiently: patience is the answer, along with exercises that re-establish you as the leading part of the team. So many young dogs are taken out for walks, hunt around, learn how to chase and catch, all with no input from their owner. It's no wonder that they end up thinking that they don't need you in order to have fun. This is why ferreting is such a good team-building exercise as the dog learns that it needs you for anything to happen.

If you don't have ferrets you can still work on the team-building thing by hiding rabbit skin dummies in long grass or bushes and let the dog find them.

Don't forget too that if this pup is coursing bred then she will have a fair amount of Saluki in her, which will give her more of an independent nature and the desire to hunt on and on. They can be as 'huntaway' as a beagle. She needs to be given work that will allow her to see you as the leader, and not just be taken out on walks where she has no input from you and needs to get away on her own to achieve satisfaction.

• Like 2

Davey, is there deer around where you took the dog?From reading your post it seems to me that the pup has had a smell of something and given chase. Deer can give a dog the run around especially in Forestry and the chase is very rewarding for dog. It's difficult to stop a dog from chasing deer and to call one off if it's giving chase is difficult for high prey drive dogs. You have to try and read your dog and do your best to get it back to you before it takes offf. Or stay away from areas you know hold deer.

• Like 2

It's a stage. They call it the 'flight' stage, which seems to me to be the wrong term. I call it the AWOL stage. You'll get through it but ONLY if you do not punish the dog. This is not being soft, for what is the point of beating the dog up for something that is happening in its brain?

You need to make yourself the centre of the dog's whole world. Play really energising games with her. Tug training really does help. See the articles on the home page on here. If possible, take the dog ferreting. That way she learns to be the predator alongside you and she learns the importance of being a team with you.

I've lost count the amount of times I've come within a hairs breadth of losing it a beating this cnut to death.

Each and every time I stop, step back then run in with a full volley kick to his head.... No wait that's the fantasy again :laugh:

If only your wee stubby legs were that wee bit longer eh? :D

• Like 1

It's a stage. They call it the 'flight' stage, which seems to me to be the wrong term. I call it the AWOL stage. You'll get through it but ONLY if you do not punish the dog. This is not being soft, for what is the point of beating the dog up for something that is happening in its brain?

You need to make yourself the centre of the dog's whole world. Play really energising games with her. Tug training really does help. See the articles on the home page on here. If possible, take the dog ferreting. That way she learns to be the predator alongside you and she learns the importance of being a team with you.

I've lost count the amount of times I've come within a hairs breadth of losing it a beating this cnut to death.

Each and every time I stop, step back then run in with a full volley kick to his head.... No wait that's the fantasy again :laugh:

Cnut :laugh: my legs are not stubby.
  • Like 1

Am absolutely gutted took my one year old bitch out yesterday just for a walk and empty let her off lead and she is off . Call her nothing no response starts to hunt up while I'm calling her not paying any attention to me . Then bang she was off me calling her and calling I had steam coming out of my ears !!!!! Well I lost her for over an 1 and a 1/2 hours my blood was boiling couldn't sleep most of last night wanting to break the c**ts neck !!!!!! Now at one year old what is best way to amend this bearing in mind season is just around the corner help needed or she will be getting the shovel !!!!!!

Not sure I'm getting this , she has done nothing before ?? As far as hunting goes

She had good recall / relationship up to this ??

This is completely out of the blue ?

She has had a few runs been a bit aloof ate times but never turned full deaf and fuk off done my head in . I took her out next morning calling her back when she got to about 20-30 meters and she was fine at end of walk she ran to top of hill I called her she looked at me and ran off but only to brambles so I'm going back to basics for a couple of weeks playing tug tennis ball retrieve

Keep her on lead for a week, try again, first time off the lead and don't listen put back on lead. More mine are on the lead they seem to listen.

I made the mistake of grass/parks let them off stright away, do as they please.haha punished me with deaf ears for the next few months. Think most of it's age. If it was all easy wouldn't be any fun

• Like 1

Do you prefer the term, stumpy?

You can jog on anall ya lanky streak of pish :laugh:

If you wear your roller skates you 'may' just get lucky and catch him with the brake or wheel... :thumbs: