Not So Sure On My Beddy Whippet

I have a beddy whippet about twelve months old which I'm hoping to lamp this season I've been doing plenty of daytime with her she seems to know her job but only if rabbits are running at speed if they hobble past her she doesn't really have any interest what do boy's think

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I managed to get a decent night tonight to bring her out I picked the easiest rabbit I could then I slipped her and she nailed it I'm well chuffed

Only one way to find out Pete,,get lamp out,good luck

Becoming rural now up the heights

Posted Images

She's had three day time rabbits and if one of the other dogs catches a rabbit she rushes in to take it of them or if the terrier is on to something in cover she shows lots of interest it's just if a rabbit is hopping slowly across the field that she shows no interest and she rarely enters cover but the other day we disturbed a fox and went into real heavy cover and she smashed trough it to get it cnut has me confused

Don't write her off just yet fella. Some take longer than others for the penny to drop.

Granted, it isn't good when they watch rabbits run off at 12 months old. But it's in no way an indication of how she will end up.

My brindle bitch did some pretty embarrassing and piss poor things up to about 14-15 months old which most lads would of got rid of her for.

But she came good ?

• Like 1

My eldest bitch, f****d around a fair few times up until around 14 months. Like gaz said plenty told me to get rid but I had a strong bond with her and hoped and prayed she come good, and she did. She would only pick up rabbits if they was flat out going for it! She wouldn't touch squatters, slower rabbits or even mixies that could barely walk lol

Edited to say doesn't sound too bad right? But a rabbits a rabbit at the end of the day and I wanted them all in the bag, specially the easy ones.

Edited by Con6212

My eldest bitch, f****d around a fair few times up until around 14 months. Like gaz said plenty told me to get rid but I had a strong bond with her and hoped and prayed she come good, and she did. She would only pick up rabbits if they was flat out going for it! She wouldn't touch squatters, slower rabbits or even mixies that could barely walk lol

Edited to say doesn't sound too bad right? But a rabbits a rabbit at the end of the day and I wanted them all in the bag, specially the easy ones.

I know your pain mate. Watching a working dog (which you have bonded with) look at a myxi rabbit and watch it hop away is soul destroying.

But I reckon 90% of them will come good given time and patience. Too many get sacked off too soon. Not saying they will all make world beaters. But you don't need a world beater to fill a freezer.

I know your pain mate. Watching a working dog (which you have bonded with) look at a myxi rabbit and watch it hop away is soul destroying.

But I reckon 90% of them will come good given time and patience. Too many get sacked off too soon. Not saying they will all make world beaters. But you don't need a world beater to fill a freezer.

Spot on mate