Opinions On Bushing Dogs Breeding?

Tozer

Remember when i was 13 year old and a lab x collie we had wile on holiday in flambourough working the big bramble banks on the south landing going through the dense bramble and a woman passing by could hear me shouting the dog asked if it was a jack russel she was a bit suprised when this mongrel emerged that looked more like a lab than owt lol.

I work a lot of "big bramble banks" im talking about intermittent patches of briar that are often at least 200yds in length and 40 in width,a lab/collie could never work it,a spaniel x could not work it,im talking about pushing through and keeping the quarry pursued and on its toes,only a small type busher,terrier,could,fact.Many get bushing to the dogs mixed up with eventually bushing to the dogs,eventually is all the time that is needed to make another escape.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's a good topic mate, specially with lads moving away from the more traditional breeding to create something specific that suits them personally, surprised there's not more responses really?

after having both i think the 1/2 is a more steadier slower pace and the 3/4 u must of had bushing dogs before i think this bitch i have the 3/4 will burn her self out bye the age of 5 she works so

I guess you have never seen good spaniels smashing through cover and pushing rabbits out to lurchers or guns though i must admitt the smaller type spaniels i kept went faster through cover than larger

Posted Images

not everybody does big bramble beds, and when I have the dogs have managed, but there again maybe I aint competing at same standard as some lol

Its about owning and working a mutt that suits the terrain the owner hunts,ill guarantee the best hunting and bushing jukel in one kennel would be second rate in another.Id be at a loss with a mutt that could not enter and run through cover at pace,then extradite anything that sought safety below,others have a less demanding expectation from their ratchers and hunt accordingly.Thats why its nearly impossible to find a useless busher,they all serve a purpose and long may that last.Bushing is the "new" hunting now,to some.

Having seen a couple of good springers, I like how they work. But for proper bushing I like a bit more independence in how they work. But I don't want a dog working too far out,

I do like the idea of the terrier whippet or leggy terriers, but I don't really work large areas of dense cover.

I am interested how much of the gundog traits a terrier spaniel keeps.

Having seen a couple of good springers, I like how they work. But for proper bushing I like a bit more independence in how they work. But I don't want a dog working too far out,

I do like the idea of the terrier whippet or leggy terriers, but I don't really work large areas of dense cover.

I am interested how much of the gundog traits a terrier spaniel keeps.

the nose and the drive they think before you do but as allways said you have to be the leader of them just so they no whos boss and then they are allways trying to please you firm voice once they no its plane sailing spaniel x patt made hunting easy

Edited by wi11ow
  • Like 2

Just read through this thread again good read, and it is interesting to see people's differences on seemingly what bushing actually is? The way I see it is a dog or dogs pushing game out from cover usually for lurcher or gun. Irrelevant of what land you hunt I personally can not see how a collie or such dogs can be classed as bushing dogs mooching yes but not bushing. I work mainly hedgerow and brambles with the terriers we use some of which is very thick stuff. I realise not everyone hunts the same ground, but if it is small game your after (which most seemingly are) then they will inevitably find small tight spots of cover wherever you hunt jm experience. Therefore a small dog is required as a basic starting point for a busher, yes some bigger dogs have the drive to bush, but realistically they will be cut to shreds, to slow through cover or most likely both to causally do the job to a decent standard. This is not a criticism or those who work larger dogs and enjo doing so, I just guess we must have different opinions on what bushing is an I suppose at the end of the day most of is do it for a hobby rather than a livelihood. If we did then in my eyes though the dogs used would be no question small dogs.

• Like 1

Just read through this thread again good read, and it is interesting to see people's differences on seemingly what bushing actually is? The way I see it is a dog or dogs pushing game out from cover usually for lurcher or gun. Irrelevant of what land you hunt I personally can not see how a collie or such dogs can be classed as bushing dogs mooching yes but not bushing. I work mainly hedgerow and brambles with the terriers we use some of which is very thick stuff. I realise not everyone hunts the same ground, but if it is small game your after (which most seemingly are) then they will inevitably find small tight spots of cover wherever you hunt jm experience. Therefore a small dog is required as a basic starting point for a busher, yes some bigger dogs have the drive to bush, but realistically they will be cut to shreds, to slow through cover or most likely both to causally do the job to a decent standard. This is not a criticism or those who work larger dogs and enjo doing so, I just guess we must have different opinions on what bushing is an I suppose at the end of the day most of is do it for a hobby rather than a livelihood. If we did then in my eyes though the dogs used would be no question small dogs.

I guess you have never seen good spaniels smashing through cover and pushing rabbits out to lurchers or guns though i must admitt the smaller type spaniels i kept went faster through cover than larger type spaniels ive seen but both got the job done with no fear of them dropping down a badger sett.

• Like 4

I guess you have never seen good spaniels smashing through cover and pushing rabbits out to lurchers or guns though i must admitt the smaller type spaniels i kept went faster through cover than larger type spaniels ive seen but both got the job done with no fear of them dropping down a badger sett.

do you still have pics of jan they could graft :thumbs:

do you still have pics of jan they could graft :thumbs:

Got some some were ile try and find them.

I suppose it depends on what you call small. ive a whippet lurcher that gets in some states in cover. ive had to rescue him a few times over the years lol. my best cover dogs are on the big side around 15 inch tts. and they rattle through bramble . my little bitch tends to be a slower sort and picks her way through and yaps a bit. real handy to put through if you want stuff to walk out . its down to different work styles as well as the type of cover. if I put the bigger terriers in the quarry flies out like its arse is on fire .lol

I'm tempted to try a pure collie,just because i like them and could do a lot with it.

though I keep telling myself not to try and reinvent the wheel it usually goes wrong lol

give it a bash and I'm sure you will be glad you did, I used a couple for years and they done job well. Dropped after flushing if told, used one of them for long netting at night, ferreting, lamping and beating now and again, was always being pestered for pups off him as he was starting to get on in age, lined him to a terrier that also does more than job and litter are all doing really well, only wish id kept one.as was only small litter and I didnt wanna refuse anybody that wanted one, terrier is old as fook now and collie dead, so ill be looking for replacements soon

Just out of curiosity,how do the x's compare to the pure collie,just in terms of bushing.

I'm tempted to try a pure collie,just because i like them and could do a lot with it.

though I keep telling myself not to try and reinvent the wheel it usually goes wrong lol

give it a bash and I'm sure you will be glad you did, I used a couple for years and they done job well. Dropped after flushing if told, used one of them for long netting at night, ferreting, lamping and beating now and again, was always being pestered for pups off him as he was starting to get on in age, lined him to a terrier that also does more than job and litter are all doing really well, only wish id kept one.as was only small litter and I didnt wanna refuse anybody that wanted one, terrier is old as fook now and collie dead, so ill be looking for replacements soon

Just out of curiosity,how do the x's compare to the pure collie,just in terms of bushing.

They are busier, little bit smaller and more vocal mate, they open up when summat rises or sits tight and they get close. The collies I have tried have been real good at air scenting as well as ground scenting and the pups do both. Collies were a lot more obedient and steady tbh but the crosses are far from headless chickens either lol

The more I hear about them the better the pure collies seem for me and the land I work.

my mate's just got a very small bitch pup from working parents that I reckon would do well,very tempted to get one from the same litter.

They are busier, little bit smaller and more vocal mate, they open up when summat rises or sits tight and they get close. The collies I have tried have been real good at air scenting as well as ground scenting and the pups do both. Collies were a lot more obedient and steady tbh but the crosses are far from headless chickens either lol

The more I hear about them the better the pure collies seem for me and the land I work.

my mate's just got a very small bitch pup from working parents that I reckon would do well,very tempted to get one from the same litter.

Nice litter on preloved, collie/patt x spaniel/terrier

• Like 1

couldt find them :thumbs:

couldt find them :thumbs:

Type in bushing dogs on preloved and scroll through ad is called bushing dog pups and seller is called neal11. good luck, atb daywalker.

• Like 1