Getting My Shotgun Licence

I sent out the forms about 4 weeks ago and already the FAO has made contact about coming around for a visit . I cant believe its come about so quick . I think on the form it said 12 weeks so i had it in my mind it would be a long way away . Im assuming as the FAO is trying to come around for a visit i have passed the first stage of the application . I have a criminal record which consists of burglary and buying alchohol for someone underage which are from 10 years ago and i genuinly thought they would put my application in to the bin straight away , I thought the burglary being something really shit on my record and the alcohol to a underage person would put me in the untrustworthy category and not worth letting me have a licence . It may still fail and get it thrown out but im hopefull it will all go smoothly . I had a call 2 days ago saying they were processing my application and i had forgotten to fill in my doctors address and my height . God knows how , i re-read my form so many times to make sure i had filled it in properly . The FAO was going to come out last night but i had football training and i didnt have the cabinet installed . Id preffer it if the meeting was conducted with the cabinet in place so i dont need to have him around twice .

I have a question for people on here . Ive pretty much made my mind up on the way im going to go with it but wouldnt mind some validation on it or having different opinions given to me . My Offence for burlgulary . I was inncoent but got found guilty on 1 mans statement . I know its constantly heard "Im not guilty" " I didnt do it" " It was someone else" and as the years have gone on when ever ive told people that i can see a smirk on their face and can see the wry smile and i know they think im bulshitting but these days i dont care . It is what it is . A friend has said (and he may have a point) that the FAO will be asking about the criminal records and showing remorse will look really good in my favour as apposed to me banging the "not guilty" drum . The alcohol offence i can show remorse for because i genuinly let myself down buying alcohol for underage , i accept that. From the moment i got arrested , till the time i was in swansea crown getting found guilty i told the truth , and got shafted for it big time . I wont change my tune now and feign remorse for something i didnt do just for a better chance of a shotgun license . So basically if he asks im just going to say what ive said here , im not going to change my tune just for a better chance of a license .

Has anyone had a smiliar experience or have a opinion on it

• Like 2

I've just got my sgc through last week and I to had a criminal record from my youth but as long as you wrote it down on the application and you haven't come to their attention in a few years ( mine was sixteen years ) their shouldn't be a problem, I wouldn't go spouting your innocence or for that matter go into it, just explain that was then and this is now, use something that put you onto the right path, I used my missus and kids as my road to righteousness and it does tally up. Good luck anyway, another thing I'd do is keep one of the bolts or the empty packet to show him what the gun safes bolted on with. At one stage we where all young dumb and full of cum, even fao's

• Like 1

The FAO is not a judge to quash your criminal record, you were convicted (even if innocent), just say it was a stupid mistake I made in the past when I was much younger I've grown up now and I understand how precious a SG certificate is so won't be doing anything to jeopardise this privilege. Get the cabinet bolted to the wall for when he comes to show you are ready and prepared for it. :thumbs:

• Like 1

In my opinion, honesty is always the best policy when it comes to these matters,

There is obviously no getting away from the fact you were convicted at court of a serious offence but there's no harm in explaining the circumstances and saying that you have reservations about the verdict however you have now moved on,

Be prepared to show evidence that you now have responsibility in life, be that in work, kids, house, whatever it happens to be. A changed character is very important to show and sometimes shows more credence than someone who has nothing on record because without testing their character, they could have just never been caught.

Fire arms officer came around this afternoon . Everything went awesome . Not much said about criminal record and just explaining to me that i had a duty to behave and treat a license with respect . He told me that it looks very likely i will get a license . Really happy at the moment . Can take up to 4 weeks for me to get a answer . Bloke was great aswell , chatted nicely and laughed and joked and showed me 2 shotguns he had taken today and explained to me how to check if the gun is in good order when i buy one .

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...

Did you have a bloke collie for your interview mate

Not sure. Bald bloke, quite stocky. Looked like he would do a good job playing rugby. He seemed a good bloke tho and said he would recommend i get a licence. Just up to the powers that be to put my application through