Jagdterriers In Uk

hello all - apologies if i do not always answer immediately but have very heavy work commitments and often away !

The dogs i have are all working dogs whether imported or bred by myself. Many thanks for the positive comments - it is good to hear as with any new breed or change there will always be doubters and that is good as without true discussion and debate nothing is ever resolved !

No one can ever guarantee what an 8 week old pup will do as it matures and is eventually put to work as no two pups are ever the same and like us have different temperaments ,drive , hunt ability etc . Many a good young dog is ruined by its owner not being able to read the dog as it matures and pushing it too soon. Having come from a long family line of gamekeepers and now at 57 yo having had and worked most of the native breeds i researched the jagd at great length and finally after 3 years of trying to source good bloodlines was fortunate to be introduced to a top hunting/breeding guy in hungary who has provided me with a blood base of what he considers some of the best lines within the breed.My experience in breeding stock and time and the ability of their new owners will now tell if these dogs can live up to their reputation as pups from my stock are worked over the next few years.The jagd is a very versatile terrier and has been selectively bred for just over 100 years to create an intelligent bold game dog for above and below ground. If the dog was no good then it would not be used worldwide especially in the eastern block countries where underground hunting is second nature! I am only too pleased to answer questions and share the experience i have gained. I am open to sensible criticism regarding the breed but do not suffer fools lightly.

One last thought ! Also coming from a boxing background i would never put a bantamweight boy in with a superheavyweight boy - the lighter lad might have the grit to have a go but he would never win !!

regards

Richard

• Like 1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its the same old shit everytime. You ask for a price, you get a price. You then ask to see the parents working, as that should be the main selling point! And they stutter and make excuses. You dont kn

What matters is someone and his dogs mascarading as something they are not ,whether they are red ,white, black or tan . ive no problem with anyone bushing or digging the odd time as long as that pers

In my opinion these imports bring nothing to the table and will be crossed into the excellent working breed we have on these islands and will therefore be detrimental to there working ability all for

Where badger digging is legal ,it would be unavoidable to use anything other than a bantom weight on a heavy weight .Heaviest terrier i ever bred was 18 lb whereas badger goes to 35 plus im lead to believe .In the terrier world ,weight comes with size rendering it too big for even the biggest earth imo.Size does matter but what matters more is attitude .Most ,if not all the lads in this particular section of the forum want a dog to dig to ,not to yap off into the distance at every opportunity like ive seen with these .You are up against years of earth dog breeding we dont want diluted.

• Like 4

i keep several jagds in holland, once or twice a year i breed a litter of them when i have someone i know who wants one or when i want to keep one myself. in the hunting season i hunt with them almost 2 or 3 days a week. some for earthwork some only on boar and some both. one of my jagd females is used on top and below ground. when i hunt boar with her she wants to stay on top and dont go to ground. but this is very rare. I have used other jagds for hunting fox on top like you guys use hounds, but you will find your dog to ground soon and you dont have any control on what quarry is in front of him. and you dont have any control on putting him in a diggable spot or not.

some jagds hunt way to much on there own and wont come back to you on the end of the hunt. and you have to run them with gps on. i have dogs that run up to 2 km away from me after game and are always with me on the end of the hunt wich is perfect if you dont hunt on small fields. the ones you are always looking for on end of the hunt wont be kept much longer. some will keep closer to you after they loose you a couple times but some will never learn. but there are also jagds that wont go further than 100/200 meters

i also have patterdales and border terriërs. no other terrier can beat the jagds his nose and hunting abilities above ground. but below ground mine are not as good as my borders. not all jagds stay to ground untill dug to, some just bark and come out all 15 minutes or so and go back in. but i am sure there will be lots of jagds that will do a better job to ground as mine

the overly hard often mute dogs from eastern europe that are used for earth dog trails are not the jagds i like to have. maby they would suit you better in uk when only used on fox, but here they will not have a very long life, dog agressivness can also be a problem with these dogs when hunted in a pack, because there very high prey drive you have a big chance of fighting dogs at catched or shot game . the better dogs in trails are not even used for hunting at all because the chance of loosing this dogs while hunting is too big. i have a jagd male myself like this that is used for boar only (to big for natural earths) and his use is very limited.

some lines are versitile but most are not and are just bred for earth or boar hunting, some are way to big to use to ground.

as you can read like any other dogs not all jagds are the same and if you look for a jagd for a perticular job be carefull what you buy. breeding not says always anything i have a jagd bitch that has names in his pedigree i never heard of and never had a dog as good as this one and culled dogs from the better breeders.

the price of a non pedigreed jagdterrier in holland is around 200/300 euro with pedigree around 500. but good ones are hard to find.

if i hunted my dogs to ground only i wouldnt keep a jagd but i should stuck to a good patterdale or border terrier.

• Like 4

I have 2 jagds now, one serbian and one scandinavian. 2 different type of dogs. I also owned ch serbian dog, the best dog ive had, unfourtnaley he died, but his sharpness and sound was thebest ever and very hard dog and great obedience. Anyway, the serbian dog I have now is very hot and works too hard, he is better underground than above but perhaps too large. scandinavian female is a different animal, very hard and has a less intense worktype but saves energy and works longer. Serbian dogs I believe is one of the best in europe cause its been hard selected and much more chosen on abilities for hunting than different tests. My best dog on wildboar is a parson x glen of imaal. She works for a long time but with great gameness and happiness, no aggression, underground she is too big but she knows how to do it. She is an allrounder and 3 pups in that litter has proven to be useful.

The jagds need more training to be stockbroken than english terriers cause the are more suitable for abobeground work. I think the best cross i heard of over here was a patterdale x jagd, apprently extremly good, but i only saw the one dog in the litter. I have also had a teckel x jagd and it was one of the best, since there is a pretty good teckels in the UK through didrikson I think anyone who likes to try different crosses or make-up that cross is wellknown to get allround dogs with less speed in the forrest. But I hope that UK still keep their patts and terriers as they are, mute and finishers. Some jagds are also mute, usually not a good thing but sometimes thats how it is.

Jagds are for shooters not for diggers. I dont think its fait to match them up against each other, generations theyve been selected for different purposes and ways of hunting. But as one o n one with a black&white or a fox both habe the head and style to finish it without led.

• Like 1

Can anyone see you dig to them or do you just breed dogs from 'working stock'?http://www.jagdterriers.co.uk/ourjagdterrierdogs.php

I know looks arent much to go off but they dont look well worked.

Hello my friend. I spent many years in the boxing ring and i have no scars neither do i have a broken nose or cauliflower ears??? I fought in the middleweight division and retired unbeaten???

Regards Richard.

Where badger digging is legal ,it would be unavoidable to use anything other than a bantom weight on a heavy weight .Heaviest terrier i ever bred was 18 lb whereas badger goes to 35 plus im lead to believe .In the terrier world ,weight comes with size rendering it too big for even the biggest earth imo.Size does matter but what matters more is attitude .Most ,if not all the lads in this particular section of the forum want a dog to dig to ,not to yap off into the distance at every opportunity like ive seen with these .You are up against years of earth dog breeding we dont want diluted.

Hello my friend! Going back to my boxing days as a middleweight with intelligence, i could always hold my own when sparing with heavyweights?? Any terrier under 16 inches will go to ground and any terrier that wishes to reach its prey will get there! In my experience, a terrier that only stands 11/12 or even 13 inches, lacks the bulk and power to be able to deal with its prey! I would be very interested to hear your experience with the jagdterrier?? As my experience with this breed is from Eastern block hunting terrier men who have used the jagdterrier underground for many years on both fox and badger and who would never entertain the native breeds that we are used to in this country! Having worked all of the native breeds over the past 40 plus years, i personally cannot fault the jagdterrier.

Regards, Richard.

Hello my friend! Going back to my boxing days as a middleweight with intelligence, i could always hold my own when sparing with heavyweights?? Any terrier under 16 inches will go to ground and any terrier that wishes to reach its prey will get there! In my experience, a terrier that only stands 11/12 or even 13 inches, lacks the bulk and power to be able to deal with its prey! I would be very interested to hear your experience with the jagdterrier?? As my experience with this breed is from Eastern block hunting terrier men who have used the jagdterrier underground for many years on both fox and badger and who would never entertain the native breeds that we are used to in this country! Having worked all of the native breeds over the past 40 plus years, i personally cannot fault the jagdterrier.

Regards, Richard.

You misquoted me there bud .Badgers can reach in excess of 35 lb and a dog of that weight could never reach it .The types you soeak of 11/12 inches have there place but not as regular badger dogs im told .A dog of 16-18 lb would be my choice still only weighing in at bantom in comparison .I have no experience of the jagd other than that of seeing a few work badly here but i do have experience of black dogs doing it right which sort of sets a bench mark for everything else .

• Like 1

Can anyone see you dig to them or do you just breed dogs from 'working stock'?http://www.jagdterriers.co.uk/ourjagdterrierdogs.php

I know looks arent much to go off but they dont look well worked.

Hello my friend. I spent many years in the boxing ring and i have no scars neither do i have a broken nose or cauliflower ears??? I fought in the middleweight division and retired unbeaten???

Regards Richard.

a boxer can move back out of the way when his opponent attacks. If a terrier does this its a cull. Your comparision is a bit silly dont you think.
  • Like 1

16 - 18ilb dogs are small in my book even for a bitch what height are they fd

Many thanks for your comment. An average bitch will stand 14 to 14 and a half inches and an average dog will stand 15 to 15 and a half inches. They will still girth with an average size hand but what you have in the jagdterrier is a stronger frame and weight with incredibly strong bite power.