I have owned 3 Patterdale terriers but have never "worked" them in the traditional sense of the word. I use them for deer dogs and occasional ratting. And, quite frankly I bloody love the breed.

So, given that I am no authority on their training or working etc but I always play pulling games with them, with rope or even better deer skin (training them to track deer.)

I have never thought that I is having a negative effect, in fact I am happy to be told I am talking bullshit by a more experienced terrier man but I am convinced that rough play does them good, strengthens the bond between owner and dog, and I always aim to let it last no longer than 10 minutes. I give the command for him to stop and it stops. That's it. I do that in the hope it asserts some dominance.

One downside.

It fucks up your rope.

Edited by Hydropotesinermis
  • Like 3

Breeds like working terriers love some rough play and it can be good for them and releases some of their energy. But I would tie something like a skin (I used to use an old imitation mink coat, thankfully my dogs never attacked any old fur wearing ladies.) to the rope as it will be kinder to his teeth and he wont confuse his lead with a rope when it comes to going for a walk or a hunt.

• Like 3