Am I Making A Mistake

I shot .22 up until several years ago and heard all the hype about the .177 cal and have used it ever since.

Because I limit my day time shooting to 35-40 yards max I've thought of going back to .22 but don't know if I will be making a mistake.

Ooooh , the dreaded calibre question again :boogy:

Hi HB, yep had the same problem myself, so i got one of each while i had the chance, HW 100 ks .22 and also HW 100 kt .177.

My preference is the .177 kt - but that is just me.

Any of the calibers are as lethal as each other, hitting the vital areas of your quarry is the ask.

For me .177 12 days a week.

atb

It's not the calibre debate I'm merely asking if I would regret going back to .22

Unfortunately mate only you will be able to answer that question, as you get re-aquanted to .22.

That's the problem john,I keep asking myself will I be able to get on again with the .22

Get a mate with a 22 to tag along with you

you use the 22 and he can use the 177

before you spend any money on a new rifle you may not like

but for me its 22

atvbmac :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

Hello guys

Can someone spell this out for a newish guy.

So are we saying the .177/4.5 is more accurate because it travels straighter but has not got the hunting power of a .22/5.5.

But this only happens for some people who can only shoot one ore the other.

Is this a pcp thing or is it the same for springers.

PS dose it help if you put your tongue to the left or right side of your mouth LOL.

.177 is NO MORE accurate than .20 .22 .25 and all four cals will be good for hunting , just get to know your set up in what ever cal you are using and what you can do is most important

• Like 4

You are not making a mistake with .22 as long as you are aware it has a more pronounced trajectory curve in flight to the target than the faster, thus flatter-flying .177.

At a rabbit's head at 40 yards, from a zero of 25 yards you are looking at about 1.5 to 2 inches of holdover, approximately. With .177 at the same parameters you only need place the crosshair on the top of its skull to make a fatal brain shot.

That's why I zero my .22 rifles at 30 metres (not yards) as I find this has reduced the amount of holdover I would normally use from 25 metres. It also makes shots out to 50-plus metres more accessable to my expected hunting ranges.

And you have the added bonus of a much harder hitting shot with .22 than the smaller. higher-penetrative .177 has. Meaning, you have more chance of decisively killing the animal on the spot with a strike anywhere in the head than the .177 has. With .177 you really have to ensure a hit into the brain mass, to kill it outright. Anywhere else can mean the risk of severely wounding the animal giving it enough to get away into the undergrowth where it will die a slower death. Not something a decent sportsman should allow.

But either shot into the brain-centre will kill it clean and quick.

Both calibres have their advantages and once you understand the differences, both make perfect sense for the type of vermin we use an air rifle for.

• Like 1

I agree with much that has been said about calibers but it keeps coming back doesn`t it "trajectory".

Simon`s post above identifies my long standing quirk - 40yd head shot on a rabbits head needs 1.5 to 2 inches of holdover (agreed). The .177, just put the crosshairs on the rabbits brain area (agreed). "On open land"!

Imagine that rabbit, pigeon, squirrel amongst some hedgerow, undergrowth or spindle branches, if you place the crosshairs of the .177 on your quarry`s vitals that is where your pellet will strike "period".

The .22 will need to be "lobbed in" (if you will) 2 inches above the point of aim and "fall into" the required one inch spot.

The chances of a .22 picking up an obstruction/ deflection along its flight is far higher than .177`s flat, threading shot.

As for killing power, - engine room or head its "dead" with any of the calibers.

atb.

Totally agree with the above post of John`s "on open land".

Going back to shooting through any type of obstruction with the understanding that "so long as you gauge range correct and you do your bit, it will hit the target", yes, but what about all the obstructions along that flight path ?

Too much room for error for me.

Edited by mark williams