Irish Terriers

he likes the telly at home because we dont have any dogs yet, but when we go to any family members who have dogs he dont leave them alone, and we been told that dogs help alot with autism. so anything that makes his life happier the better.

• Like 1

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Take him to a rescue center and let the dog choose him if you know what I mean...it has been proving that especially dogs are great with all sorts from brain damage to fits autism to Alzheimer's the l

Get a lab easy to train, handle and as good a dog as you'll get, and by the way, no I don't have labs, but I do have an autistic child.

I have a Terrier with Irish ancestry, the b*****d thing makes me a nervous wreck in public! Get a nice gentle dog would be my advice.

Posted Images

Take him to a rescue center and let the dog choose him if you know what I mean...it has been proving that especially dogs are great with all sorts from brain damage to fits autism to Alzheimer's the list goes on... but at these rescue homes they must obviously let potential owners meet and greet the dog of choice under supervision from the kennel staff or something....you will get to meet a few dogs and him and the correct dog will have an instant bond you will see it happen right in front of you...he wouldn't get that with a puppy because it will not be in tune with your son the way an older dog of a year or so would be that's the route I would take if I was in a similar situation as you.... good luck in whatever you and your family decide and I hope the little fella and dog have many many happy years!

• Like 6

What's his temperament like ( working/working with other dog ) ss...has he got the usual Wheaton temperament or the temperament of a labradoodle

Wolf in sheeps clothing"... Ain't that just true..the look on people face when they see how much havoc a cute fluffy ball of hair can do lol

He's the only dog I have so it's no problem mostly, just a shame not to be able to let him off for a run, it's just too risky, I'm a bag of nerves if he is off, constantly looking out for other dogs :icon_eek:

Any horse riding schools near you? I've got the same problem as you not being able to let mine off to run in public but we get up the riding school a few times a week where I can safely let them off in the arena. Might be worth getting friendly with them if there's any local to you :thumbs:

• Like 1

just looked at service dog europe as suggested by danny300. think thats the route we gonna take just cos the training the dog goes threw to aid in helping the child.

Thanks alot for all you advice and i think we will stay clear of any type of terrier. some top information gathered here.

• Like 3

just looked at service dog europe as suggested by danny300. think thats the route we gonna take just cos the training the dog goes threw to aid in helping the child.

Thanks alot for all you advice and i think we will stay clear of any type of terrier. some top information gathered here.

Guest Navek

What's his temperament like ( working/working with other dog ) ss...has he got the usual Wheaton temperament or the temperament of a labradoodle

Wolf in sheeps clothing"... Ain't that just true..the look on people face when they see how much havoc a cute fluffy ball of hair can do lol

He's really cool with other dogs, until they are within reach, then he grabs them and shakes them, he's accidentally had a couple locally, he definitely means harm when he's got hold of them!

If another dog challenges him, he goes mental, there are plenty who've seen and heard him hit the end of his chain at shows when one minute he is asleep under my Land Rover ... The next he is bouncing on the chain, not great for business! :huh:

When we are out walking, if we see another dog, he goes down into a funny stalking stance or lies down completely, then lunges at them as they pass, luckily it looks to the owners like he is scared of their dog, so I make the most of that and stand over him etc.

He can't be trusted near other male dogs, at all, bitches he seems to be ok with, but I wouldn't risk that either.

He's the only dog I have so it's no problem mostly, just a shame not to be able to let him off for a run, it's just too risky, I'm a bag of nerves if he is off, constantly looking out for other dogs :icon_eek:

Sounds like a old dog of mine I used keep around . He was a old staff from over in Ireland... That little shit would sit back on his chain and wag his tail scting all nice until another dog was in reach then ...... Blammmmm claret every wear lol. Having him was like owning a loaded gun lol. His tempering with the family's kids tho was unreal he'd let kids take food from his mouth

I once read a very good book about a family who got a retriever for their autistic son. Very honest and heartfelt, they said the dog really helped him. But i cant for the life of me remember the title!

I think Timmy's dead right with his choices. Though i'd be very choosey and look for working animals of both breeds (labs and retrievers).

Turk, just out of interest, why is the Irish considered an ideal pet for an Autistic child ?

I ask in pure innocence.

I have not come across many Irish terriers in the last 20 years ago but the dogs back then were fiery and argumentative with just about anything.

IMO if you asked a breeder of Shetland Sheepdogs would they be ideal the answer would be yes.

If you asked a breeder of Boxers the same question the answer would be yes and so forth.

So I'm wondering WHY Irish terriers ?

I read that they was good with children and can handle rough play and for some reason my boy has taken to terriers but my Mrs has been put off by most cos of the way she has seen others brought up. Also the are territorial so as i keep motorbikes they would hopefully alert me of any problems,

At the end of the day there's not one breed IMO that should be left alone with a child, not even for a few minutes.

Rough play is one thing but most terrier breeds will eventually snap if it goes too far.

Going to a rescue centre is a great idea but would you be better off with a pup and let it grow up with your child ?

If there's one type of dog IMO that loves humans (I know all breeds do) and will take plenty of play as well as being obedient and tend to be healthy with no inherited defects and IMO is a type I'd think about if I was in your shoes and that's a small mongrely lurcher.

Just a suggestion.

• Like 4

Hi Turk88,

My godson has Autism. He is a little gem of a lad. Full of mischeif.

My brother got a specially trained dog for Austism for him many years back. The family were one of the first in the Irish test program. The dogs that fail the guide dog test for blind persons are retrained for Austism work as they are specially bred with excellent temperaments and also go through months of special training to see if they are suitable for working with the blind or Autistic kids. These dogs are amazing and they have a fantastic effect on the kids behaviour.

If I was you I would contact you local guide dog training centre or Autistic work dogs for Autisic kids. I bet they would be able to point you in the right direction. Most untrained dogs or any breed would be a liability around Autistic kids.

See links below and give these people a ring. These dogs are a life changer for those people with Autistic kids. Best of luck.

http://www.servicedogseurope-uk.com/autism-service-dogs/?gclid=CKWZq779h8YCFaXHtAodQDoAhQ

https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/aboutus/local-to-you/

Edited by Corkman
  • Like 3

Looked into the service dog europe, i think that the route we going to take as the dogs come from them at about 18months old fully trained and tailored to the childs need. finally got the Mrs to agree on a golden retriever or a cocker, all depends what they have at the training school.

Next question is whats peoples thoughts on dog food, I've been looking into Beta Retriever dry mix, anyone had experience with this and how much do they eat roughly?

Dog foods a mine field and different dogs do better than others on certain food best thing to do depending where you get the dog from is ask what it's fed on I know it's the obvious that but it's a good start personally I vary my dog food as to not make them fussy I have a german pointer who won't eat unless it has water in it and that's my fault trial and error would be the best way get small sample packs from different places and see how you feel

• Like 1

Turk,

These trained dogs are incredible. Whatever they do they calm the kids. Regards food as far as dry foods go Beta is a good option. The training centre will have the dog on a special diet so it would be best to continue what they are feeding the dog. Be advised there can be a waiting list for such dogs so get your name on the list ASAP.