Knotweed,problem

Knot weed is a bar steward to kill although a good systemic weed killer will eventually kill it after a few years of treatment. A chap on the allotments had it on the border fence that his plot lay on. He sprayed at the end of August and only had about 20% regrowth the next year he sprayed that again at the same time and only had a few regrowths. after the third year of doing the same he was clear.

TC

• Like 2

I had it at my place , came in on a load of free top soil ( my mates description ) , I treated it with round up , commercial strength , about four times before I was happy it was gone . Had it got established it really is a pain to eradicate ..

I spoke to the chap that had it on his plot and he had done a lot of research on how to get rid of it. Apparently knot weed is like a tree in that the sap falls back to the roots in the Autumn. For the best effect you have to time the spraying to coincide with the sap falling to take the weed killer to the roots.

If you look on youtube there are videos of ways of getting rid of knot weed.

TC

• Like 2

Be extremely careful with knotweed. If not treated properly it can make matters worse. Whatever you do, don't remove any of it from your property, best to burn on site. Stem injection is the approved method of weed killing but it will take multiple treatments to kill it off. Plastic will do no good at all. It will grow through a damn site more than 4" concrete.

• Like 3

Be extremely careful with knotweed. If not treated properly it can make matters worse. Whatever you do, don't remove any of it from your property, best to burn on site. Stem injection is the approved method of weed killing but it will take multiple treatments to kill it off. Plastic will do no good at all. It will grow through a damn site more than 4" concrete.

I do believe that soil containing rhizomes of knot weed is now classed as contaminated waist? Waste even :laugh:

TC

Edited by tiercel
  • Like 2

Whichever method you use Id do it sharpish,a pal of mine was putting his house on the market,when the estate agent came round he saw the knotweed and told him no mortgage company will touch a property with the stuff growing there,hes bought all the stuff and is treating it himself....

• Like 1

Whichever method you use Id do it sharpish,a pal of mine was putting his house on the market,when the estate agent came round he saw the knotweed and told him no mortgage company will touch a property with the stuff growing there,hes bought all the stuff and is treating it himself....

this is very true.

house next door to me was repossessed and company put it on the market. a surveyor viewed house and said knotweed was present on the garden hence no mortgage was allowed on the house, cash sale only and it drastically reduced the price. i was very concerned that my property would be labeled too and looked into it further. turns out that the plant was not knotweed and was a dogwood. surveyor had totally made a blunder and it cost the company big time.

i know the fella that bought the house and has made a substantial profit because of the surveyor.

• Like 1

Withdrawn from sale but if you know anyone who has a bottle still kicking around.

http://msdssearch.dow.com/PublishedLiteratureDAS/dh_08d6/0901b803808d6faa.pdf?filepath=/pdfs/noreg/010-22040.pdf&fromPage=GetDoc

Glyphosate will work but you will need to get it in to the hollow stems. And It may take a few doses.