New Labeling Of Rodenticides And Restrictions On Their Use

The new term on rodenticide labels for use in and around buildings and sewers only brings in to question the useof these products in any location not associated with rodent activity in close proximity to buildings.

There is no specific measurement but this issue is going to cause issues for many people undertaking rodent control.

Working for a local authority and the responsibility under legislation to control rats within its boarders puts a duty on the authority to control the rats but in many locations use of 2nd generation anticoagulats is no

longer an option.

We recently looked towards controlling rats on farm land with terriers to negate the use of rodenticide.

I just wondered how this issue is effecting people undertaking rural pest control.

Has anyone used first generation anticoagulants and if so how succesfull were they.

Working through an environmental risk assesment rodenticide would always be looked at as the last resort.

But everyone has financial restrictions and how will you price for treatments which could potentially take much longer.

Educating customers is going to be another issue when all they will be concerned about is resolving activity.

It's becoming a ruddy nightmare, to the point I'm considering dropping the farm contracts next year.

Try telling a farmer paying you in excess of a grand a year that you're going to be putting down non tox to monitor, then only put down bait for 28 days, but we're only going to put down stuff that's not going to possibly have the effect other bait might, they will tell you to jog on and A, get someone in who doesn't give a monkey about rules, or B, go to farm suppliers and by jaguar, storm et al, and broadcast it around like fertilizer (most likely scenario).

See why Matt said stuff it and concentrate on moles.

• Like 1

I Believe that is changing, yet again. If you can justify its use for more than the 35 days then there is no issue. Farms are a perfect example of somewhere this can be justified. Little shop or domestic contract with no activity for 6 months you couldn't justify it imp We have a huge pig farm, non tox isn't an option neither are traps or dogs as rats are in the lined roofs. We shoot the shit out of it over the winter. 1st generation poisons work very well if used properly as the strains that were resistant have generally died off due to 2nd generation poisons used. If in doubt 1st generation with more frequent visits to keep the bait in them.

A good paper trail is required to prove its being used properly.

Edited by ratattack

Educating customers is one of the biggest hurdles and as people have said with some it will be a hurdle too far and will lead to lost business. The customers will then look for some one who does not care about regulations.

I see the issue and reasoning behind all the changes but one of the biggest issues is availability of these products to the general public.

You would think in line with the new raft of directives HSE is demanding and a stuardship scheme there would also be looking at the quantities going into the domestic market.

What first generation products are you using ratattack.

Coumetratlyl foam at the mo, looking to use more 1st gen in the future tho.

Customers don't like monitoring baits and the fact you won't be killing the pests between visits using them. I use traps for mice whenever I can.

Imo joe public should have no access to any 2nd gen poisons. They don't read the label and neither do they understand how to use it or how it works. The trouble is the domestic market is huge and it'll never be removed from public sale. Smaller more expensive packs are being produced tho.

As long as you find rodent activity during your inspection you can carry on using past the 35 guideline (it is only a guideline, not law) + perhaps write down what else you are doing to gain control, then guess you could have bait down longer.

Could always put break back traps in external/internal boxes

Trapping works, if you have a partnership with the farmer, so that he/she can check traps on the days your not about. That way will not fall foul of any wildlife law where an animal may suffer.

TOP TIP

When using fenn traps in purpose made tunnels, I drill a little hole in the side of box, attach a cable tie to the set trap which then pokes out of this hole. If the farmer checks simply for the presence of the cable tie and does not see it, then trap has sprung and calls me in, simple but effective :boogy: :boogy: :boogy:

• Like 1

TOP TIP

When using fenn traps in purpose made tunnels, I drill a little hole in the side of box, attach a cable tie to the set trap which then pokes out of this hole. If the farmer checks simply for the presence of the cable tie and does not see it, then trap has sprung and calls me in, simple but effective :boogy: :boogy: :boogy:

Thats exactly what I do....have you been spying on me?? :D

Trapping works, if you have a partnership with the farmer, so that he/she can check traps on the days your not about. That way will not fall foul of any wildlife law where an animal may suffer.

TOP TIP

Good idea ,like me simple but effective.

TOP TIP

Thats exactly what I do....have you been spying on me?? :D

Could do with a seperate pinned column where folk can post tips and hints on, could help each others with novel ideas (just like the one I stole from you Darcy :thumbs: )

• Like 1