New To Chickens

hi i would like to keep some chickens for eggs but unsure what breed to go for, and can anyone tell me were i can get the birds from i live in north northumberland near the scottish boarders.

I e just got some hybrids off a friend and they are laying cracking big eggs mate so I'm staying with this cross.they are Rhode Island reds x light Sussex and I've just got a rhode cockerel to put back over them.

• Like 1

I know there's the original breeder of black rocks up in Scotland somewhere. They'd be a good bird to start with, very robust and lay loads of eggs. Don't eat a lot of food and if taken care of they won't let to you down.

Just google black rocks I'm sure the hatchery is up your way. Someone will have some.

Atb?

• Like 2

ive had hybrids isa browns for over 20 years get them direct from a place that supplies the battery industry. get them at pol easy to keep docile and for the first few years egg machines.

ferretingpics024_zpsa20bff4d.jpg

Edited by darbo
  • Like 2

There vaccinated against.

Mycoplasma, Newcastle disease, salmonella, egg drop syndrome, infectious bronchitis, cocciosiss, Mareks, there's a couple of others but can't remember of the top of my head. Most Hybrids you buy will be vaccinated against some of they above, different hatcheries vaccinate against different things.

I have bought birds that are not vaccinated and they've been fine. It's when you have vaccinated birds mixing with un vaccinated birds you may get problems. But if it's just a few hens in your garden you should be ok.

Atb?

Edited by stevo79

Yeah we've got about 6 acres, we did just keep hybrids for eggs and sell them to restaurants and from the gate, we done really well but needed more room to take it to the the next level, so we decided to stop and sold all the birds of. They sold really well and that inspired is to start selling POLs from the gate. We buy in about 500 chicks rear them in the barn then put them out free range to sell. I've always kept pure breeds which is what I really enjoy. We keep about 10 different breeds orpingtons,RIRs ,indian game, silver laced wyandottes, sumatras and recently just got some dark Dorkings.

All the the experience I've gained is just through old books and talking to people along the way. I love talking about chickens and helping out. It's better passing on experience than keeping it all to yourself. I've just recently bought a beddy whippet which I intend to work m, something I don't know a lot about so il be needing some advice soon

Atb?

• Like 2

Brilliant :-)

Completely agree about sharing knowledge. Same here, learned from old books, and good men.

The Beddy/Whip should be good. Off working lines?

Get some ferrets, and off you go :-).

I like the sound of what your doing, good luck with it.

Atb

Yeah the beddy whippet was bought from both working parents. He slowly learning not to chase the chickens lol. Just waing now for me first ferrets from me mate. I like the look of all the game birds on here something I'd like to try.

Yeah it's good fun but hard graft 24/7 but my wife's on board so it's a join effort.