3 Lambs In A Week.

Three Lambs gone in a week, got a phone call yesterday to try and help out. Went to the land in the day time to range everything then zeroed the 223 for 200 yards. Shot vixen first at 240 yards and the Dog was around 220. Used a dying lamb call and tried squeaking but wouldn't come any further in.post-36631-0-98753300-1431272070_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

About an hour apart, squeaking wasn't bringing them in but the dying lamb call had the vixen running in, I shot her around 10 o'clock then after dragging her to my makeshift hide I switched to the vixen call. Dog fox ran along the same path I dragged her along about 30 mins later.

Hi Rifleman

Well done mate... Tredegar I see, pretty close. I didn't get the two as you did but I did get a nice dog fox last weekend. If I had a better lamp I could have probably had the vixen as well. Never mind..She lives to fight another day.

I didn't think I was going to get this fox because I was outside the farmers house using my car roof as a rest to shoot toward this extremely steep and very large banking that rises for around 180yds. It was getting to that point in the evening when your eyes start to play tricks on you, but I could still make out any movement. Through the scope things were still pretty clear. I hadn't started any squeeking because the farmer told me this fox had been paying regular visits for the last couple of evenings. I settled comfortably against my car, and kept an eye for any movement, knowing that sooner or later I would have to get the lamp out. I was facing the banking when I heard a crow in the trees behind me some 150 yds away. He was not a happy chappy. I turned to look over my left shoulder and I could see the fox moving around on the banking behind me, some 100yds away. I was in a bit of a predicament because my rifle was on the roof and I could not grab it, and turn around without the fox seeing me. My shooting sticks were in the back of the car. As quietly and as cautiously I could, I lifted the rifle from my car roof. As soon as I did this the fox spotted me and made it's way up the banking and out of site, behind a line of trees running up hill. Damn it, I thought. I went around the other side of the car and waited with the rifle on the roof to see if it would re-appear. Two minutes later, it did. I gave it a squeek, but it would not stay still and disappeared again behind the trees. I wasn't sure which side of the car to stay on and I didn't want to risk making a noise to open the car to get my sticks, so I decided to go back around to the other side to see if the fox would appear on the banking I was originally focused on. I gave it a minute or so and thought I would definately need to get my lamp soon. As I went to grab my lamp, a feint movement caught my eye. It was very difficult to see with the naked eye but through my scope I could clearly see it was a fox. Without a squeek from myself, it came from the trees it had entered to my left and moved out towards the centre of my field of vision. I was about to give it a little squeek to make it stop, when suddenly it sat down with its entire right hand side of it's body facing me. Pulled the trigger on my .22-250 and he dropped like a stone. He was around 110yds out. The other fox, assuming the vixen, didn't show until some 20 minutes later. However, she was being very cautious and I had no chance of calling her in. She made her way to the top of the banking and stopped on the brow,(horizon) as if to know I couldn't take the shot.

Still a good evening though and the farmer, like yours, was very happy. Made 2 farmers happy that same day. The other on had one or two persistent rabbits hiding in his new apple orchards. I soon found them. Hard work looking for 2 rabbits in 200 acres of apple orchard. :huh:

Just thought I'd share that little story. Keep up the good work mate.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Rifleman

Well done mate... Tredegar I see, pretty close. I didn't get the two as you did but I did get a nice dog fox last weekend. If I had a better lamp I could have probably had the vixen as well. Never mind..She lives to fight another day.

I didn't think I was going to get this fox because I was outside the farmers house using my car roof as a rest to shoot toward this extremely steep and very large banking that rises for around 180yds. It was getting to that point in the evening when your eyes start to play tricks on you, but I could still make out any movement. Through the scope things were still pretty clear. I hadn't started any squeeking because the farmer told me this fox had been paying regular visits for the last couple of evenings. I settled comfortably against my car, and kept an eye for any movement, knowing that sooner or later I would have to get the lamp out. I was facing the banking when I heard a crow in the trees behind me some 150 yds away. He was not a happy chappy. I turned to look over my left shoulder and I could see the fox moving around on the banking behind me, some 100yds away. I was in a bit of a predicament because my rifle was on the roof and I could not grab it, and turn around without the fox seeing me. My shooting sticks were in the back of the car. As quietly and as cautiously I could, I lifted the rifle from my car roof. As soon as I did this the fox spotted me and made it's way up the banking and out of site, behind a line of trees running up hill. Damn it, I thought. I went around the other side of the car and waited with the rifle on the roof to see if it would re-appear. Two minutes later, it did. I gave it a squeek, but it would not stay still and disappeared again behind the trees. I wasn't sure which side of the car to stay on and I didn't want to risk making a noise to open the car to get my sticks, so I decided to go back around to the other side to see if the fox would appear on the banking I was originally focused on. I gave it a minute or so and thought I would definately need to get my lamp soon. As I went to grab my lamp, a feint movement caught my eye. It was very difficult to see with the naked eye but through my scope I could clearly see it was a fox. Without a squeek from myself, it came from the trees it had entered to my left and moved out towards the centre of my field of vision. I was about to give it a little squeek to make it stop, when suddenly it sat down with its entire right hand side of it's body facing me. Pulled the trigger on my .22-250 and he dropped like a stone. He was around 110yds out. The other fox, assuming the vixen, didn't show until some 20 minutes later. However, she was being very cautious and I had no chance of calling her in. She made her way to the top of the banking and stopped on the brow,(horizon) as if to know I couldn't take the shot.

Still a good evening though and the farmer, like yours, was very happy. Made 2 farmers happy that same day. The other on had one or two persistent rabbits hiding in his new apple orchards. I soon found them. Hard work looking for 2 rabbits in 200 acres of apple orchard. :huh:

Just thought I'd share that little story. Keep up the good work mate.

Nice work, sorry I've been a while getting back as I've been away, if your that close we should have a meet and shoot.

• 3 weeks later...