Same Old Question? (Maybe)

What are views on chest shot deer that run before dropping dead

I don't see any difference to a fox running before dropping dead

You'd have a much better chance finding a deer that's run than a fox
You'll be needing a dog for that then mark my words it be compulsory soon

Lol

HA! But what constitutes a fox tracking dog? Clearly I care more about the poor foxes than deer having a dog that can track those feckers pretty well. I'm just a calous b*****d really, BASC will save my soul. LOL
Basc lol they fuckers have already sold your soul to the devil along with lead based ammunition
  • Like 3

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's 17 HMR.   There isn't an answer to your question, it's about the acoustics of the specific area and the history of the rabbit population.   You can blat away at them all day in some places at

Basc lol they fuckers have already sold your soul to the devil along with lead based ammunition

What are views on chest shot deer that run before dropping dead

I don't see any difference to a fox running before dropping dead

You'd have a much better chance finding a deer that's run than a fox
You'll be needing a dog for that then mark my words it be compulsory soon

Lol

HA! But what constitutes a fox tracking dog? Clearly I care more about the poor foxes than deer having a dog that can track those feckers pretty well. I'm just a calous b*****d really, BASC will save my soul. LOL

Basc lol they fuckers have already sold your soul to the devil the price was lead based ammunition

LOL LOL

Depends where you are

Hmr or Cf to the chest of a fox are both going to kill it

But the HMR will NOT humanely kill a fox with a chest shot past 80 yards. Believe me I hold my hands up and done it, hence why I have now sold the hmr and got a .22-250

Nobody is doubting that the hmr is inadequate for fox but it certainly will kill a fox wheather or not it drops on the spot is a different matter. Head shot is a must, with my .22-250 I can honestly say I've never had a runner I've had the odd nerve twitch and that's it.

If you have never had a runner it is because you have shot relatively few foxes. Believe me 22.250 or not if you shoot at enough then you will get runners. I have witnessed runners from all calibres up to and including .243. The method you are using to shoot is also conducive to producing runners, ie: from a vehicle off a wing mirror, sooner or later you will take a shot where you are stretching round or the rifle slips on it's "pillow" or you haven't allowed enough windage, there will be a "pop" and it will be off like a whippet out of trap 1. Shot placement is key to be a humane kill on anything regardless of calibre.

Completely agree, I've pulled a couple of shots before now and ended up gut shots more than 150 yards away they were twitching a little but didn't run. I don't doubt that I will inevitably have a runner but I've now shot 40+ foxes with it since having it and haven't yet had one fail to drop on the spot. Like I said perhaps 1 day I will but not as likely as chest shooting them with a hmr.

• Like 1

I simply don't get this debate, you use any rifle/calibre/ammo within it's capabilities and those of the shooter, then you select the most suitable for the quarry/location/climate.

You don't need a 22-250 to shoot a fox at 100 yards if you are competent, likewise you don't reach for the HMR if you are going after long range fox.

Just what is the issue/debate here?

You certainly have more margin for error if using a 22-250 at 100 yards as opposed to a HMR, but you also have more likelihood of over penetration, and the location may not be conducive to the larger calibre/extra energy/extra noise! And where are you going to stop with that debate, after all, using that logic a .243 will be better than a 22-250, and a .308 better than a 243 and then a cannon..........

There is no perfect Fox rifle, only the best for any given situation!

Sometimes that may well be a .22lr, or shotgun or centrefire, that doesn't mean one is better than the other and any should be discounted or written off.

I shoot foxes in a myriad of different situations and very often a rimfire is the best for the job, on other occasions I have to reach for something else, so I simply don't understand why there tends to be group who slag off the rimfires as unsuitable and/or insist on telling the world they are no use if shooting further than your back garden.

:thumbs:

But on the other hand if your going fox shooting on a 200 acre farm which is probably your average lads farm permission then your not going to reach for a hmr if it's sat next to a .223 etc. If your shooting in a built up area or where noise is a problem and your expecting charlie in close range then definitely the hmr is the better option. But for your average farm land/permissions a CF can cater for a lot more scenarios.

• Like 1

Hi All

have read and read about advantages and disadvantages of .22lr and .177HMR.

I realize the .177 is much louder even with the moderator fitted, what I really need an answer on is:- If you are shooting rabbits at 120-150 yards how much does the noise affect the remaining rabbits in the area, do they all bolt or do the majority still stay around, I have watched lots of videos with the.22 shooting at about 60yards and the rabbits all tend to stay around you can carry on shooting them.

I have not seen or cannot find/confirm videos of .177HMR shooting rabbits and viewing what the remaining bunnies do?

Any one with experience of this with the .177 I would really welcome your views.

Kind Regards

Gary.

Where are you most likely to be shooting foxes mate. Is it more likely rural farm land or closer to built up areas?

Managed 2 dog foxes tonight. Both chest shot 1st one 110 yards 2nd one 235 yards 2 shots 2 kills the 50g vmax .22-250 made impact with a satisfying smack lol. The 2nd fox was a lot bigger than the 1st and took about 10 mins to get in, just kept coming closer and closer by 10 yards then stop take a seat and then repeat lol, stubborn bugger until I switched to the dog toy squeaker he seemed to like the sound of that.

Edited by shropshire dan

HMR has no where near enough 'zip' for Fox, use it if you must, but please don't let the Anti's find out!!

Get a centrefire 22 at least, 22.250 is the 'boy' be careful!!

AndyF

That's like saying a shotguns no good for fox