Do Your Busher Retrieve?

neems

morton, I agree a busher's main task is to flush out of cover, but as tb25 says if the terrier catches in cover I want it to retrieve. Mine's caught a lot of rabbits in thick cover recently that I'd never have been able to reach if she didn't retrieve them.

• Like 2

morton, I agree a busher's main task is to flush out of cover, but as tb25 says if the terrier catches in cover I want it to retrieve. Mine's caught a lot of rabbits in thick cover recently that I'd never have been able to reach if she didn't retrieve them.

My bushers are often heavy manned,what they catch in tight cover is often beyond worthwhile retrieval,anything flushed is often beyond their remit,sadly ive yet to make them understand the folly of their endeavour,at times.3 terriers and a fallow don,t add up,unless?.

My bushers are often heavy manned,what they catch in tight cover is often beyond worthwhile retrieval,anything flushed is often beyond their remit,sadly ive yet to make them understand the folly of their endeavour,at times.3 terriers and a fallow don,t add up,unless?.

Yes, I can see that if you've got 3 terriers all piling into something it's not going to be fit for much by the time they're done :laugh: Because I've only got the one it isn't an issue for me.

My terrier pins and kills.bitting the head.little other damage tbh so in the ideal world I want the rabbit..3 worked up terriers.probly be no rabbit left lol.tbh my lurchers had more bunny's than the terrier so not a lot to worry about.but as they been work as a team the terriers added a few more to the bag..

Yes, I can see that if you've got 3 terriers all piling into something it's not going to be fit for much by the time they're done :laugh: Because I've only got the one it isn't an issue for me.

Only one,i remember such times and the euphoria,alas i became a greedy busher and went from retrieving the remains of Bugs Bunny to the necessity of a bigger freezer and a bigger sharper knife,venison is tastier,bunny is easier on the palate and kennel,plus as we are nearing a General Election it may make NO FECKING DIFFERENCE,they all stab us in the Arse.

The terrier i had before this one would bring them out of cover in my general direction i wouldn't call it retrieving but it was a lot better than having to go into the brambles to get it myself. The one i have now whenever she catches she just leaves them, apart from her last few catches which she has tried to eat.

Edited by day and night walker

and the lurchers don't try and steal what the terriers kill?

sounds like you have it worked out,all my terriers have been highly strung b@stards that are too driven for their own (or my good).

Yep.......my little terrier brings them back.........which is some comical task given her size, a bit like me carrying an Alsatian in my gob.

Been a few times I've thought she gone missing to see her dragging a rabbit in my direction......she won't leave it behind.

• Like 2