What Happened? Greater Manchester Police.

Living in the Greater Manchester Police area, I have always been more then happy with the service from their Firearms unit. When I last sent off for a variation last year, I posted the application off on a Monday afternoon and received it back completed on the Wednesday morning. Great service! until now.

I had a .22 Hornet single shot rifle that was not getting the use it should, due to the fact that I also had a CZ 527 .22 Hornet that I love and it was always the first to go to. I am a lover of the CZ and the more I have seen of the CZ 455 t/hole with the varmint barrel, the more I wanted one. No problem, thought I, I will change the single shot for the 455 on a one for one basis. I sent off the variation application form with the transfer form for the single shot, which I had part exchanged for the 455, Also I sent my FAC and a letter explaining the reason for the change and the use to which I would put the 455 (Target and AOLG) Job done, all the boxes ticked. All I had to do was await my completed FAC (perhaps a week!) and go and pick up the 455.

NO

A week went by and I received a call from the Firearms unit regarding my membership of a rifle club (Was I still a member? to which the answer was Yes) no problem, they would send of my completed FAC in the next few days. Two weeks later and not having received the FAC I thought that there may be some problem, so, I would give them another call and ask. The answer from the Firearms unit astounded me, It was to the effect that they could not give me any date for when I would receive my FAC, due to the fact that they had started a new system and it may take four or six weeks, at least. In the meantime I am unable to buy any more ammo until i receive back my FAC!!! luckily I have a brick and a half of eleys subs and I load my own .22 Hornets, but what happens when the subs run out?

I would be very interested in any comments, especially from "Sporting Shooter"

• Like 1

An all to common problem which is unlikely to get much better in the short term.

These departments in all forces are reforming the ways they work to save money because of the massive cuts imposed by the Government.

At least it looks like you will get your variation, just a little later than you expected it. I appreciate that it could cause an ammunition problem but at least the .22LR is a very common calibre and I'm sure you know someone else that shoots one that could buy the ammunition for you then transfer it to your FAC when you have it back. There is no time limit on the transfer of ammunition like the 7 day rule for transferring a firearm.

One plus point is that now that you're aware of the potential delays, you can better plan next time and keep a copy of your FAC or buy what you need before it goes off.

Whilst we have every right to jump up and down about inefficiencies, in the case you mention there does not seem a great deal that can be done.

Even a Temporary certificate will not allow you to buy ammo!

Just like everywhere else, the Firearms department staff numbers have been slashed to next to nothing,

As we the shooting community can't see that going on and are powerless to do anything about it.

The only thing 'they' need to be careful of is that they adhere to their statutory obligations.

That said it's a double edged sword as they don't have the resources to look too hard at applications

and variations.

But hey ho?

You're not alone. Im in Linc's and sent off for my SGC renewal and FAC application almost 5 weeks ago and they still haven't even cashed the cheque yet never mind doing anything constructive about the situation :( A mate has just received his bog standard SGC renewal back after a 13 week wait! I know they're saying its the peak point of a 5 year cycle for applications but if they knew this in advance why not get extra staff in? They're lucky they work in the public sector, no privately run business would survive for long if it was run like that, it really does drive you up the wall! Sorry about that, rant over now ;) bit breezy out isn't it? :)

• Like 1