Terrier Age

A hard dog on fox can last a long time perhaps he didnt start the dog working till it was five we dont know the facts so why comment id love to go out with some peoples dogs on here I wonder how many I would really want to take home

• Like 1

A hard dog on fox can last a long time perhaps he didnt start the dog working till it was five we dont know the facts so why comment id love to go out with some peoples dogs on here I wonder how many I would really want to take home

Why comment,because he put it on an open forum so people are entitled to comment and give there opinion,and why would he wait until the dog was 5 to start it ffs.

fox bolter I wouldn't want to bring you home with all the shit you come out with never mind your terriers. Edited by Russel digger

Maybe he wasn't abused

I think people's definition of HARD varies.
I agree totally, I have a bitch that is too hard and my definition of that it is each time she works could be her last

I've stopped working her to ground and she sat in front of fire with me now, she is the truest companion I've ever had.

Edited by Fieldsporthunter
  • Like 1

Ha ha the big dog boys are on line some dogs can kill a fox in 20 minites got the nack of it wouldnt take much punishment perhaps the dog hasnt been used much I dont know but why make comments like the dog cant be hard when we dont know perhaps he didnt get the dog till it was at alate age 5 was only a number he could have been a family pet for years why put peoples dogs down before we know the facts arse holes

You do have a point mate but this is the internet and evey detail will be scriutinised and jumped on .Realise that and let jt go over your head .Theres lads on here that maybe havnt dug to a dog in 10 years yet they still want an input . Theres those too that dig tgeir dog twice a season and still feel the need to belittle others .Been around it all for long enough now to not give a shit what negativaty anyone has to say .Used to be as bad but now chilled .

• Like 1

it is down to folks own interpretation of the written word . on these www sites everyone is entitled to there input . if you value it or not is a different matter. folk can only draw on the experience they themselves have gained. there are so many views on words like HARD. and in this day and age its probably best not to go to deep into the variations of the word.

there are however dogs that have a harder style of work and are built to endure it and some dogs suffer badly . some owners work this type often whilst others use dogs like this sparingly . i could almost fit into the never dug in a decade bracket. but still i have seen enough to comment on it. ive seen dogs work hard and last several seasons . and also seen one dig ruin a dog. but if a dog is hard and worked regular its working life is generally a short one. even shorter if owned by someone with little sense. i'm happy to say ive never owned an over hard terrier personally and would never need one.although ive seen and owned dogs that can kill a fox i never considered them hard.

• Like 3

I owned a terrier from a pup, gone now a few seasons. He was bred by a friend, i started working him around 14mths though the penny didn't drop until he was around 20mths. He was worked most weeks of the season until he was 13 year old when I retired him. Theres plenty of lads seen the dog work up and down the country to vouch for that. He did take his fair share of punishment over the years which was clearly visible but that just depended on the circumstances, a lot of the time he was dug to and their wasn't as much as a scratch on him. The dogs sire was the exact same when he was around. Both were not hard dogs by any means, but they were damn good dogs and they weren't abused but were worked regularly mostly weekly sometimes 2 or 3 times a day or week and well looked after. Both dogs as you could imagine had slowed down a lot over the years compared to what they were when they were younger though they were still well capable of doing their job. A family member had a bitch that believe it or not despite having both hips replaced she was worked until she was 12year old and again was well known and had been dug over by many men over the years. I think a lot has to do with individual dogs and the care the man who owns them provides for them over their working life.

Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 2

I've not abused my dog and he has had plenty of earthwork,I just can see him ending up in a proper mess, as a caring terrier owner, I don't want that for my dog, nothing wrong with that, when he's been working sometimes there maybe 2-3 wks laid up, not every terrierman works his dogs while their sore, ever heard the saying no foot no horse, there are some right eegits out there with dogs.there is always some cock on here that will try and mess up a good thread,

• Like 1