Half Cross To Half Cross Advice Wanted.

Conformation doesn't mean a thing if the dog hasn't got it upstairs!! So even picking one on it's physical appearance IS a guessing game!! Some of the best dogs you'll ever see work in any venue are the ugliest....

Again its still about selection. Thats where a man who can keep whole litters will score,but its not difficult,especially if you dont lie to yourself. Upstairs aint much good without the right toolbag either..

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No such a thing has litter wastage, there be a job for the heavy types same has the racier types keep a few back around the sixteen week time gives Ya more of an idea how they'll developatb bunnys

I often wonder if the second gen are better because if it's done right the best dogs are used and they follow that mould

Not a guessing game but selection, selection is what nature does naturally and we have to learn to do by eye. Its what lies behind all good live stock breeding..

Posted Images

You surely cant be thinking that mating a bitch that age is a better option than sourcing a well bred bull x pup?!?!?! If you look im sure you will find what your looking for. I dont mean to sound funny or ignorant but the stress of pregnancy for 9 weeks and then a further 8 weeks until any could be homed. Thats alot for an old bitch to handle, surely it makes sense to source a quality pup????

A half-cross to a half-cross will never produce a full breed of any of the 2 types, the only way to get a genuine full breed is a dam and sire of the same breed. A first cross to a first cross has the potential to throw more like one or the other breeds but in actual fact the D.N.A and the genetics will NOT be that of a genuine full breed!!! For example-: if you put a half border collie x half greyhound on another half border collie x half greyhound....there is absolutely no chance of any of the pups becoming either a full greyhound or full border collie!!! Or maybe ive got it totally wrong!!!!!

Its the germ cells that divide and rejoin.They are seperate from the body cells.In other words its not the dogs themselves or there bodies that are actually reproducing but the genetic information that there germ cells are carrying. Forget the dogs themselves and concentrate on what they are carrying.

• Like 1

A half-cross to a half-cross will never produce a full breed of any of the 2 types, the only way to get a genuine full breed is a dam and sire of the same breed. A first cross to a first cross has the potential to throw more like one or the other breeds but in actual fact the D.N.A and the genetics will NOT be that of a genuine full breed!!! For example-: if you put a half border collie x half greyhound on another half border collie x half greyhound....there is absolutely no chance of any of the pups becoming either a full greyhound or full border collie!!! Or maybe ive got it totally wrong!!!!!

I think it means in theory you could .

no one expects that to be the case ,but w 1/2 crosses can produce pups heavier or racier than themselves .but I wouldn't expect there to be any bankable way to know unless the same greyhound or bull was used on both sides so their was more chance of genes to match on both sides.

if 1/2 brother and sisters where bred together their common parents genes would possibly be dominant

• Like 1

You surely cant be thinking that mating a bitch that age is a better option than sourcing a well bred bull x pup?!?!?! If you look im sure you will find what your looking for. I dont mean to sound funny or ignorant but the stress of pregnancy for 9 weeks and then a further 8 weeks until any could be homed. Thats alot for an old bitch to handle, surely it makes sense to source a quality pup????

i can t find what I m looking for that's why I was considering the mating. As quoted earlier the bitch is nt how you would picture her at all. And I ve never left pups on a bitch any where near 8 weeks

In my opinion a 7-8 year old bitch is to old to breed from but thats just my opinion! What area are you in??? As im in hull and i know of a litter of bull x's. The mother is a first cross and the father is a quarter bred, making the pups 5/8 greyhound x 3/8 bull, excellent working parents.

In my opinion a 7-8 year old bitch is to old to breed from but thats just my opinion! What area are you in??? As im in hull and i know of a litter of bull x's. The mother is a first cross and the father is a quarter bred, making the pups 5/8 greyhound x 3/8 bull, excellent working parents.

We all have our own opinion but a 7 or 8 yr old dog or bitch has done 5 to 6 seasons work so at that age should be in its prime. I think a lot of dogs are used to stud way to early thus producing some of the shit that's about. Only my opinion though.
  • Like 1

I breed a litter last year half cross to half cross so makes them 2nd gen and keep 2 dog pups back at 8 weeks old you could not tell them apart from one was dark brindle and one light brindle and now at 5 month two different dogs one very heavy and one racy and rest of the litter witch all went to close friends have all gone different from heavy to racy so what ive seen with 2nd gen is its a guessing game

did the bitches throw much finer boned mate

1st cross, often termed as F1, tends to throw a level offspring whereas a second cross you get a less even litter, as mentioned by someone above you could in theory get pups that look like pure bull and others that look like greys. In reality some are likely to be a lot heavier than others, so if you hold onto the litter until you can tell which are the lighter ones then 1/2 to 1/2 is fine, just the problem of litter wastage with the other pups unless you have homes for the heavy ones mind.