A Short Walk...

So, dusk was falling yesterday evening, around 18.30, about half an hour of usable daylight left. Not really enough time to get set up for target practice, so I thought I'd take a wander around the lake, see if there were any frogs mating, Moorhens or Mallards building nests, and so on.

Got to the bend halfway along the western (left) side of the lake, and stood there for a minute to scan the eastern bank, where there are lots of brambles that hang over the water -- a favourite hide-out for nesting waterbirds, as well as sneaky coypus.

house%20and%20lake%202.jpg

Then, I caught movement off to my left, along the bank, as something disturbed the water, and swam out into the lake from underneath the big tree you can see at the top left of the photo. I was completely out in the open, about six feet from alder trees growing out of the bank to my left and right. No cover. So I froze.

The bow-wave curved round from my left directly in front of me, and without moving my head, I saw a coypu moving silently across the water's surface. It stopped right in front of me, about ten yards out from the bank. I stayed absolutely still. It swam off to my right, then stopped. I didn't move. It swam back in front of me, and stopped. I made like a statue. Then, probably sensing that something had changed, but not sure what it was, the coypu cruised over the eastern bank and just floated there.

Their eyesight is poor, except for lateral movement, so I eased, one inch at a time, towards the alder tree about six feet to my right. Made it. Body mostly hidden behind the tree, I raised the HW97K and eased off the safety catch. Took a bead on the coypu's head. It was floating just inside the overhanging undergrowth on the eastern bank, so I knew it was at around 25 yards, and the shot would need about a centimetre of hold-under. Breathed out, held the breath, took up the first stage, squeezed off the shot -- ting! -- splat! -- and put a JSB Exact Heavy between its eye and its ear. The coypu kicked a few times in the water then lay still on the surface.

Fished it out, took its vital statistics. It was a female, 50cm nose to butt, 90cm nose to tail, making it about eighteen months old and of breeding age. Had a big belly, so could well have been planning to drop its litter on my lake, where the pups would grow up happily tunnelling under the banks.

Not on my watch. :thumbs:

Coypu%2011032015.jpg

• Like 5

Oh yeah. :yes:

I zeroed it the day before yesterday, and it printed an 11mm and a 10mm group at 33 yards. :thumbs:

what calibre and power is it running?

.177 mate, with a V-Mach kit fitted, and it puts out 4.52mm JSB Exact Heavies at around 13 fpe.

• Like 1

Nice going mate can you use it for anything ?.

Some French people roast 'em, but given that they carry Toxoplasmosis, Weil's Disease and a number of parasites, I only touch 'em with rubber gloves then dispose of the carcasses toot sweet! :bad:

People were `umming and r-ing wether an air rifle was suitable to take a headshot on Canada Geese just a few days back.

I think Coypu Hunter shooting the HW 97 in .177 cal has answered those doubts.

Shooting mate :yes:

atb

The only problem with I've had with birds (magpies) is overpenetration with heart & lung shots at short ranges. Not a problem with headshots though, they drop like a brick. :thumbs:

Nice shooting CH,

Better do them in before they start reproducing...... :victory::thumbs::victory:

Still haven't given that daft, sizzy caliber rifle of yours, to your French neighbour........ :whistling::D

Thinking of flogging the Stoeger .22, but in any case, an HW85 in .22 is on the way to me from a Dutch site that does good prices. :victory: Then I'll have both cissy calibre and flabby calibre Weihrauchs... :yes:

• Like 1

Great rifles those Weihrauchs, doesn't matter which caliber you choose, they are all great performers, proper German quality.

If you shop a bit around, there are quite some bargains to be had in that little country of mine :thumbs:

Keep up the good work , reducing those Coypu's :toast:

• Like 1

Want to skin it and pop the hide in the post for me? haha

Great shooting. They do some hefting damage and can ruin small ecosystems.

Bet you're well chuffed, I know I would be.

I must confess, I first looked at the picture and thought "F*** me that's a BIG RAT!!!" then I read what was going on. Makes much more sense now haha

• Like 1