Terriers, Ferrets And Mink

Hi folks. I've just picked up some permission for controlling mink in some small ditches and ponds. Was planning to try find the with the terriers and then shoot them.... only two dogs to stay in the law etc etc.....

But!!!.....

My terrier is broken to ferrets, will he take to mink, but more importantly, will he stay steady to ferrets? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Same. The dogs are broken to ferrets, but have hunted a fair few Mink in their time.

Saying that, I had a Terrier some years ago that was broken to Ferrets. It caught and killed a wandering Ferret whilst out on a walk. So I think it depends on the situation.

yea as stated the smells completely different so wont be a problem! but do you think you will get much sport doing it that way are they being sighted regularly? ive done a lot of mink trapping and there the only ones my terriers have seen im yet to have any kind of decent hunt or maybie its just the strech of river i hunt.

• Like 1

A couple of years back i was fishing on the same stretch of river i now have permission on and there were a few young in brash piles, so although it wasn't sniding with them i should think we will find enough for a bit of a mooch. If i can get the terriers working them I have a couple of mates in the environment agency who should be able to point me towards more permission....

To be honest its all abit long term, just wondering if its worth starting at all...... no point getting loads of permission and only having one terrier pup..... or getting a few terriers in and then find theres no mink lol

Cheers for your replies tho folks

I know what the law says but you will need more than two terriers to get mink on the move even if you find one .You wont believe where they can get and until your dogs have been on a kill you are hunting blind .i would be inclined to trap one and let them see the live then dead body .i whipped in to a bobbery pack for 3 seasons .We had 6 couple of hounds all entered and two terriers also entered but on a line we only ever get a view a couple times per season and we were out every Saturday and two evenings .Mink hunting season was in summer mind .Almost all kills were from a dig or hounds killing in deep cover away from water .They have been known to climb trees freely but i never saw it .Anyway good luck .

• Like 1

you are right about mink climbing trees FD i was carp fishing a good few year back and there was a river at the back of fishery and id seen mink on the lake before and 1 morning i woke up to find a mink in a willow tree at the side of my bivvy ha cheeky buggers the are . and some of them not even botherd about me being near them