Fac Help

I already have a Shotgun certificate and now want to apply for an FAC. Does anyone have any hints or tips on what to include on the form? Also, it asks me about quantity of ammo required. What would be a sensible answer for a once a week job controlling rabbits and fox?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Simps, the last five words of your last post says it all, "talk about putting you off" you have hit the nail on the head, DO NOT STAND FOR IT, join BASC, write to the CC, what a shower.

Well my first step(assuming you have not already) is to ring your firearms dept, and ask what if anything the land is passed for, it is unlikely, but by no means impossible, that the land is passed fo

I'd be very surprised if anyone got refused a hmr but granted a 22!   I didn't struggle, neither has anyone I know.

That would all depend on what calibre you're after. I'm sure you'll get loads of different opinions on this subject, but in my personal opinion you'd be better off applying for 2 guns. A .22 rimfire for rabbits and a .22 centrefire for fox.

I await being shot down in flames by other members. :laugh:

Your FEO should tell you how much ammo you can apply for but my first application I was allowed 600 rimfire and 300 centrefire.

Fair comment guys. The land is about 50 acres and I also have a 12 acre woodland. It's maily rabbit, fox and crows etc. I was thinking of applying for a .22LR and a .177HMR. I'm unlikely to go after any deer in fairness.

It really depends on the land and typical requirements as to what is applied for. A simple 22 may suffice for the rabbits or possibly a 22 and a 17... likewise a 22 magnum might be all that's needed for the fox but equally in the right situation any of the 6.5mm calibres can be granted solely for fox control (without needing deer to justify it!).

Well my first step(assuming you have not already) is to ring your firearms dept, and ask what if anything the land is passed for, it is unlikely, but by no means impossible, that the land is passed for cf, but again only the police can tell you for certain, once you have established the calibre (or not) that the land is passed for, you can decide, within that framework what you require, if the land is not passed for fac use, then you will have to ask the police to check the land, assuming this was your course of action, a call to the police, asking their advice about beginning the application process, or waiting while the land is checked would be a good idea, it is a waste of time applying, only to be knocked back, due to your ground being unsuitable, ask the police to consider the fact that you would like a .22cf for fox control, and a rf for vermin, when they do the check, good luck mate, any more questions, feel free to ask.

• Like 2

Yes because it is entirely possible that your friend got his .22 on the basis of some other land, and then was granted an open certificate, meaning the land you have would not need to be passed for anything,but yes check, if the ground is only passed for .22 rf and you require a .17 hmr IT SHOULD be easy enough for them to re-classify it as suitable for hmr, if you dont ask you dont get mate :yes: once you have your ticket, put plenty of rounds through it, and look out for some other land suitable, for the inevitable cf that you WILL want :thumbs:

• Like 1

Yes because it is entirely possible that your friend got his .22 on the basis of some other land, and then was granted an open certificate, meaning the land you have would not need to be passed for anything,but yes check, if the ground is only passed for .22 rf and you require a .17 hmr IT SHOULD be easy enough for them to re-classify it as suitable for hmr, if you dont ask you dont get mate :yes: once you have your ticket, put plenty of rounds through it, and look out for some other land suitable, for the inevitable cf that you WILL want :thumbs:

Good advice.

A while back I checked for calibre clearance on certain piece of land. I was told that it was cleared up to .22 rimfire by my FEO. A day or two later I called back to question the ".22 rimfire" statement and I was told by one of the administrative team that this statement covers all .22 rimfire calibres plus the .17 rimfire calibres. If this is the case then why not call the classification "Rimfire"? I would have thought that this would help squash confusion from the new enthusiasts (and the rest of us old codgers)?

I already have a Shotgun certificate and now want to apply for an FAC. Does anyone have any hints or tips on what to include on the form? Also, it asks me about quantity of ammo required. What would be a sensible answer for a once a week job controlling rabbits and fox?[/quote

After reading replies to this I doubt very much you will get a .17HMR on your first ticket.

FAC licence is not taken as lightly as a shotgun licence , infact I,was suprised how relaxed the laws are with regards to owning a shotgun.

My advise always go for more than what you need, first licence apply for three , you may even get all three depending on your circumstances but without knowing where you are shooting, or what you are shooting, what permission you have etc it's hard to say !

My feo also says if it's cleared for .22 it's cleared for any rimfire calibre

:laugh::laugh: :laugh:

Many FEO are total numb nuts, and every region has its own take anyway...which .22 was that.....a .22-250, any rimfire available in the UK should be fine if that is the case!

ATB! :thumbs: