Lurcher X Greyhound

now serious lurcher men please answer if you have a valid point. why not x your lurcher with a track greyhound. it never seems to be a issue when breeding. it was always the norm way back. the reason i ask is because my first x saluki grey dog is everything i expect from a worker and i am seriously thinking to put him back to a greyhound. i am not a new lurcher owner,unless 40 odd years coursing makes me a novice. WHY NOT?

• Like 1

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd never own another dog directly out of a pure Greyhound..I'm not doubting for a minute we need an influx of their blood from time to time but I'd prefer to let others do the breeding out of Greyhou

IF you breed from the right greyhound, there is No problem, in my young days we could get a lining from an ex coursing champion, now those types had taken the gentry years of breeding, I believe, Max

The thing is, it's not just speed you are adding with a Greyhound: you may also be adding in a lot of things you don't want, such as tunnel vision and a lack of working ability proven through generati

now serious lurcher men please answer if you have a valid point. why not x your lurcher with a track greyhound. it never seems to be a issue when breeding. it was always the norm way back. the reason i ask is because my first x saluki grey dog is everything i expect from a worker and i am seriously thinking to put him back to a greyhound. i am not a new lurcher owner,unless 40 odd years coursing makes me a novice. WHY NOT?

you lose more than you gain had a few old del t luke to a greyhound and a merlin x eve x greyhound both these had the same faults

but try as people say you never no :thumbs:

• Like 1

I'd never own another dog directly out of a pure Greyhound..I'm not doubting for a minute we need an influx of their blood from time to time but I'd prefer to let others do the breeding out of Greyhounds..like Ross and Willow said they ain't alot other than raw speed and a keen eye to offer IMO,they come with more con's then pro's,I'm not talking of 2nd generation crosses here just directly out of a Greyhound..but as always there will always be exceptions to the rule and if you've got one that does all you ask then happy days ??

• Like 8

IF you breed from the right greyhound, there is No problem, in my young days we could get a lining from an ex coursing champion, now those types had taken the gentry years of breeding, I believe, Maxhardcore, was offering his distance greyhound dog for stud, that type put into a good lurcher would do no harm for fast work, The fella who bred one of the greatest bitches to grace the coursing turf, was DANCER, she had a fair bit of greyhound blood in her veins, she was slipped by an Independent slipper, ((( NO KIck-ups,)) On short Land, you need pace to pressure the Hare, ((((( its all a very fine margin, from the Saluki, you want there strong feet, Lung power, and the fine long muscle, quick recovery from a hard run,, but you have to inject pace into that blood stream, especially if you are working on tight land, (((( not every one lives on the east coast, ((( were a lot of people have gone wrong is they have bred of a reject from the race track put to an average bitch and they expect a champion, ((( you can not make silk purse from a Pigs ear, Nowt wrong with a bit grehound blood in your Lurchers make-up, my honest opinion, the last time I sold a lurcher pup was in the mid 70s for the pricely sum of £5, and they made decent lurchers,

• Like 4

we tryed some open class dogs there is a very good x greyhound trainer on here who all so bred some litters none made the grade to witch the lurcher x lurcher xs did also Ballyregan Bob was bred to a saluki i saw a few of them run :thumbs:

but good to hear peoples veiws

It really does depend on the greyhound here to weather id own one. I got a bitch in my kennel queen which is bred down from luke on dam side and Her sire was a greyhound that never seen the track. He was brought from ireland at 5months old from a grey coursing kennels. He had been coursed for over 5 seasons before he covered the bitch. Some people might of know this grey(prince) he made over £7000 in bets on fens and field over his life caught 4/4 day he died. queen won me just over £900 last month didnt miss on a run. I would never touch anything from a track grey but something worked and proven then i would.

The thing is, it's not just speed you are adding with a Greyhound: you may also be adding in a lot of things you don't want, such as tunnel vision and a lack of working ability proven through generations of dogs in the field doing the job that you want them to do. I can count on the fingers of one hand the Greyhounds I'd want to use over a lurcher bitch: they seemed to be particularly intelligent, and quick to learn, and were lousy coursing dogs if you are talking about 'coursing' as in Greyhound coursing, as opposed to single-handed where the aim was to kill the hare rather than just run after it, turning it as many times as possible before it left the coursing ground.

I've only had two lurchers from lurcher to Greyhound breeding, and their speed killed them both while still young. There's plenty of fast working-bred lurchers about to use over a bitch lacking in speed without resorting to pure Grey. Field sense, prey sense and overall soundness are much easier to find in a good line of working lurcher than they are in a Greyhound. To me it makes sense to breed from something that has been proven for years in the field.

• Like 4

The thing is, it's not just speed you are adding with a Greyhound: you may also be adding in a lot of things you don't want, such as tunnel vision and a lack of working ability proven through generations of dogs in the field doing the job that you want them to do. I can count on the fingers of one hand the Greyhounds I'd want to use over a lurcher bitch: they seemed to be particularly intelligent, and quick to learn, and were lousy coursing dogs if you are talking about 'coursing' as in Greyhound coursing, as opposed to single-handed where the aim was to kill the hare rather than just run after it, turning it as many times as possible before it left the coursing ground.

I've only had two lurchers from lurcher to Greyhound breeding, and their speed killed them both while still young. There's plenty of fast working-bred lurchers about to use over a bitch lacking in speed without resorting to pure Grey. Field sense, prey sense and overall soundness are much easier to find in a good line of working lurcher than they are in a Greyhound. To me it makes sense to breed from something that has been proven for years in the field.

:thumbs:

Your soooooooo good with words penny.... :laugh:

• Like 1

there seems to be a lot of people who never saw a good greyhound behind a hare, when you get a good one they can put them to bed quick, but sadly all those good ones I saw and had, that strain is no longer grazing the fields, How many times when you put lurcher to lurcher,the pups they lack a gear,No problem when you are lamping, and you sell the pups, £150,to £500, and they can not do there job that they were bred for, 100s thats why the dog pounds are full of unwanted lurchers, A man was telling me on Friday past about a great so called coursing dog his off spring are jacking ((( yes we hear tales about

this fault and another, but this man was very serious, I am not hear to say or spread crap about any mans dog, because my two are not world beaters, but they do for me, I Know more failures of breeding than I do of success stories, especially with saluki xs, (((( thats for catching Mr Long ears, in Daylight, my dog is 5 years old and the bitch is 3 she has Ballregan bobs blood in her, that was her grandsire, Again if I lived over on the East coast I would want heavy saluki blood in the mix but i live on the west coast fields are small bad fences, Saluki/grey/whippet, is the blood i use,

agree there reason never touch a track grey even if it one the derby. Prince sire to mine caught many 3/3 4/4 5/5 even been out with him on fens where caught two off one slip even tho first course was fare few minite second he caught killed him in a minute in half. Also caught other prey. Was exceptional in day. And they say they have no stamina. No track ones dont but raised as lurcher and train there muscles. Like you said temp in field rather then just speed round 4,6,10,12 bends on a track full of soft sand