Shotgun Fox

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Do's..........Hit it Donts........Miss it

'so you saying a shot gun wont kill at 70 yards'   Well no I'm not, what I am saying is that you should never shoot at a Fox with a shotgun from 70 yards distance, as much as Fox are a pest they de

Assuming you have a 'standard' OU game / clay gun or a SS game gun, you don't need Magnums (but get some 2 3/4 heavies if you want), it's the shot size that needs looking at, I would say a minimum of

Do's..........Hit it

Donts........Miss it

Spoken like a true keeper! :laugh:

Lol......thing is mate since I've stopped all that I've got a different approach.

Was putting the dogs away the other night when I saw a dog chasing a vixen about in my field. Instead of rushing in for the .222 I just watched them......wtf...lol

Careful, you'll be eating quorn sausages next and braiding your hair.

Rather die first.

Do's..........Hit it

Donts........Miss it

Words from the Master that one that ate all your pheasant ended up being more like a pet :whistling:

Lol.......still had the last laugh on that f****r. Oh and if I had a chance with the shotgun at that one I wouldn't have missed...?

Do's..........Hit it

Donts........Miss it

Lol......thing is mate since I've stopped all that I've got a different approach.

Was putting the dogs away the other night when I saw a dog chasing a vixen about in my field. Instead of rushing in for the .222 I just watched them......wtf...lol

Did you touch yourself inappropriately?

Do's..........Hit it

Donts........Miss it

Did you touch yourself inappropriately?

Yes but I didn't feel inappropriate one bit.

• Like 1

Assuming you have a 'standard' OU game / clay gun or a SS game gun, you don't need Magnums (but get some

2 3/4 heavies if you want), it's the shot size that needs looking at, I would say a minimum of No4 up to BB & AAA.

The problem with big shot is you get LESS of them for the same charge weight (obviously?), so the pattern is less

dense, but the pellets have more energy.

From many years experience as long as you are close enough 32gr of No4 is plenty, foxes can't fly or run at 40mph

so shouldn't be that hard to hit even if on the 'hoof'.

Magnums are not magic thunderbolts that kill at 70 yards, even though I expect a wave of 'claims' to the contrary now,

just like the 'always' & 'easy' 200 yard head shots with 17 HMR yeh right.

• Like 3

I think you've hit it pretty much on the head there Andy,

Whenever a fox with a shotgun is on the cards keep the distance down and the shot size on the large side,

Other than that, it's down to the shooter to put it in the right place,

For me, I use anything in a heavy load from No.3 to AAA. Just what I have to hand.

Assuming you have a 'standard' OU game / clay gun or a SS game gun, you don't need Magnums (but get some

2 3/4 heavies if you want), it's the shot size that needs looking at, I would say a minimum of No4 up to BB & AAA.

The problem with big shot is you get LESS of them for the same charge weight (obviously?), so the pattern is less

dense, but the pellets have more energy.

From many years experience as long as you are close enough 32gr of No4 is plenty, foxes can't fly or run at 40mph

so shouldn't be that hard to hit even if on the 'hoof'.

Magnums are not magic thunderbolts that kill at 70 yards, even though I expect a wave of 'claims' to the contrary now,

just like the 'always' & 'easy' 200 yard head shots with 17 HMR yeh right.

so you saying a shot gun wont kill at 70 yards

I would add to what Andy said, that it's not always the most energy that counts. Shotguns kill with shock and a single eg AAA carrying 40 ftlbs,might not be as effective in creating shock as 4 x BB carrying 10ft lbs each. It all depends where they hit and with more shot you get an overall shock, whereas with 1 or 2 larger shot it can be very specific and so if not in a vital area might not induce the necesary overall shock to cause the body to shut down which results in a wounding. Equally, too many small shot each with little penetration and too little energy each, can also fail to cause an overall shock, especially down range as smaller shot lose energy quicker.

What you need is big enough shot to impart sufficient energy in sufficient numbers to hit the body numerous times in vital areas and induce overall shock.

To that end a heavy load carries more shot and an appropriate shot size will strike the balance between retained / individual energy / penetration and the number of hits.

All the load sizes are relevant but what i would add is that calling foxes and shooting with a shotgun isnt that simple unless you want injured stuff about which is nobodies aim .If a fox is running in nicely then wait til its under 30yds for a frontal shot .Personally i like to wait until they spin side on as they invariably do and shoot them in the body mass rather than head neck front on .All vital organs are exposed and takes all if not most of the pattern .Shotgunning is not a method for big bags IME but used with a rifle it can account for those that come screaming in and would otherwise be spooked .Snow on the ground is IMO the best time to get out with the shotty either daytime or night .Get yourself relatively concealed and call.

• Like 3

'so you saying a shot gun wont kill at 70 yards'

Well no I'm not, what I am saying is that you should never shoot at a Fox with a shotgun from 70 yards distance,

as much as Fox are a pest they deserve to dealt with in a humane and decent manner.

If you don't believe (or understand) just draw a realistic size 'foxy' outline on a bit of cardboard, measure out 75 REAL

YARDS then shoot your shotgun at it , even use 'Magnums' etc etc if you must? You'll be lucky to get 2 holes inside

the outline, and that is what will happen if you do it for real, shotgun pellets are really starting to drop at that range, many

will have hit the ground already in front of the target.

But at the end of the day it's up to you, if a 70 yard + Fox is on your menu GET A RIFLE.

• Like 4

Absolutely spot on. 70yds is pretty much around the limit for birds and they only take a few ft lbs to kill.

Even if you could get the numbers of hits through very tight choking and a magnum combination, you'd be struggling to deliver the lethal amount of energy at that range.

I wouldn't take a fox at more than 30 yds. Much beyond that it becomes a lottery as to whether you kill or wound.

• Like 1