Springer Spaniels

jcm

Never hunted with one as I gave a terrier to find and flush game with plenty success as does one of my hunting buddy's but my other hunting buddy is getting a springer to use along side our terriers he will be getting it from a pup and it will be gifted to him by someone he knows which is a bonus and they way I'd like to see pups exchange owners.

So my question what could or will a springer be able to add to our pack ? The terriers don't leave a stone unturned and have no trouble shifting stuff from cover and also catching there fair share.

Thing is with them is you have to put the time in whistle training once this is done you can keep em as close or as far from you as you want I just bin gifted a bitch pup the sire won't go more than 30 / 40 yards away unless sent out coz that's how he has bin trained like with all dogs they only do what's trains in or instinct better nose than any terrier

I agree you need to put the time into training them. Don't know I'd agree with the bit about having a better nose than a terrier though. I think any dog has the potential to use its nose well, and it's all about whether it's given the opportunity to develop its nose. Best nose I ever saw on a dog was a first cross bedlington greyhound. Virtually every single day of its life it was taken onto ground that held game and was allowed to hunt. By the time it was about 5 or 6 years old it understood scent to a phenomenal degree.

Like I say I have never hunted with one and it will be trained to some degree, it's not going to be up to a gun dog standard as we will want it to hunt for its self not be sent in diffrent directions by the handler, any dog can use its nose well I havnt seen a great deal of terriers work if I'm honest but there noses are second to none and don't miss a beat

if you dont whistle train it [just let it go & learn along side terriers] im afraid you may be dissapointed & definetly frustrated with the springer mate -once they on a scent only the whistle will bring it back you will end up searching high & low for your dog and more than likely lose it they have enormous prey drive -my two are not allowed to venture to far ahead of me because it only takes a few seconds and they would dissapear on a scent and be too far away to hear the whistle -hope this helps you a bit

Don't know if you can say 1 dog better nose than another but will sure find stuff for you had a beagle x Russell a few year back he find a rabbit on a mountain great nose . Do the terriers give voice jcm

yes but only if he sees it there has been loads of times he has been silent and just heard a rabbit squeal that he has caught but one he has something moving he gives voice, my pals terrier gives voice on hot scent where mine will hunt it silent till he sees it the he sings his head off and tag tho terriers giving voice is very exciting for me and the runners are there in a beat

if you dont whistle train it [just let it go & learn along side terriers] im afraid you may be dissapointed & definetly frustrated with the springer mate -once they on a scent only the whistle will bring it back you will end up searching high & low for your dog and more than likely lose it they have enormous prey drive -my two are not allowed to venture to far ahead of me because it only takes a few seconds and they would dissapear on a scent and be too far away to hear the whistle -hope this helps you a bit

I reakon it will be trained to a whistle as that's how he calls his runners back with w quick whistle, it will be worked with two terriers and a couple runners and mostly hunting hedge lines and thick forestry patches so hopefully it will stay in the cover

Jcm if you want a springer to Bush independently of you the 2 things I would train in are stop on whistle and return on whistle both as important as the other needless to say but I think you might get saw lips blowing the stop lol as bin said once a springer gets its head down feck they can be hard to stop especially if allowed to chase once quarry has bin flushed it is possible to get the dog to flush then stand I've found this easiest to do believe it or not by taking the dog lamping along side a lurcher slip the runner and when the springer wants to chase strongly discourage it atb

Yeah between me and be mates we ave 4 I trained 2 of those and have just got a new bitch pup can honestly say they are great bushers but in my experience you can't just get a pup and let it loose with terriers to learn or you are gonna have huge problems with control and speed of hunt

Edited by leethedog