3/4 grey 1/4 collie

going to be buying in 2 pups next year an was thinking of going for a couple of 3/4 grey 1/4 collie pups...just wanted to know what people thought of this cross..if you have any experience i would be grateful for any info..i'm thinking of buying this cross solely for takin rabbits..(no deer or fox) :signthankspin: chris

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a mixture of a golf course,cemetary :icon_redface: and very hilly open grassland bordered with dense patches of woodland...was thinking of the collie as it is easy to train as you said because where i'm moving house to is over run with deer where i'll be running the dogs an i'm not interested in deer..just rabbits :thumbs:

i know what you mean..they'll be running on the golf course to keep them fit(fast running ground) i run my greyhound on a golf course with her lurcher pup whos owned by my mate..the cemetary is a challenge for any dog,we've been running dogs in the same cemetary for years an i've found if they're taken there as pups they learn how to move quickly amongst obstacles :whistling: its the open hillside that they will be running on mostly though...cheers chris

a mixture of a golf course,cemetary :icon_redface: and very hilly open grassland bordered with dense patches of woodland...was thinking of the collie as it is easy to train as you said because where i'm moving house to is over run with deer where i'll be running the dogs an i'm not interested in deer..just rabbits :thumbs:

Not sure I've read this right, are you saying your thinking of Collie crosses because A, your only interested in Rabbits? Which is fare enough. A good Collie cross will do you proud on the humble bunny and B because they won't have it in them to tackle Deer. I can assure that the do have the necessary minerals to take Deer as I'm sure many on this site will testify.

If you don't mind me asking why are you not considering a 1/2 bred? 1/2 breds have plenty of pace to cope with rabbits, have more stamina than 3/4 breds and are generally much tougher physically. :thumbs:

cheers magpie..think you might have picked me up wrong..its got nothing to do with havin the balls to take deer..my friend has a 3/4 grey 1/4 collie an its had quite a few...as well as charlie...it's ME who isn't interested in takin deer...just want a good rabbiting dog with a fair turn of pace..didn't know that about he 1/2 bred dogs..only ever seen 3/4 breds working..cheers...chris :thumbs:

Guest world.hunters

i have this cross mate and at this time in moment i cannot complain mate, learn fast, bags of stamina (not in all cases) good coat, good feet, clever dogs, very good rabbit dogs ofcourse this is just my views on the cross.

w.h

Ive got a thread up about this cross as well - Im thinking about trying it from a collie/greyhound bitch to a greyhound dog as I tried it the other way around and had no luck, the pup I reared had no stamina, sadly. I will definately be breeding some 5/8 greyhound 3/8 Collies at some point in the near future as I know someone who tried this mix and it worked well, one thing I will say though is not to waste your time or money going to Hancock, there are other people who breed collie/greys like Typp ratcher, colliejohn, mick dadd etc Keep us posted how you get on and if you find a decent litter, if the parents are proven workers, I would maybe buy one save breeding my old bitch, allthough its always nice to have a pup youve bred yourself as you have those extra weeks of bonding with them you dont get with a bought in pup.

Golf course......can leave you and your hound very flustrated and cemetarys can be death traps for big and inexperienced dogs.

:thumbs: toatly agree :thumbs:

me too golf corses can be hardgraft :wallbash:cemetarys and death traps :haha:

SJM is right in some cases 1/4 collies dont have the stamina but many do, I have a 3/8 collie bred by typp ratcher, she is a exellent little bitch still only 11 months old and taking rabbits in open fields but mainly on hilly moor land worked with ferrets, she is also more that capable of finding her own rabbits, she as a very good turn of speed and stamina to spare, I have always run collie crosses first and second cross but would certainly take a chance on another 3/8

:laugh::laugh::laugh: i can only speak from exsperience :clapper: ...i reckon thats the only way MR chalkwarren :thumbs: ...its about time you did a few posts.... you have been quite since they gave you the magic button :whistling::laugh::laugh: ......mods should post more than they do ....but with the button comes pressure ......can you handle it :clapper::clapper::clapper:

chlakwarren has made a good point in {genuine}a lot of 1/4X 3/4 are not all there said to be like a lot in the world of luchers, also where is the collie blood from, most collies will through a half decent pup, but you want a true farm collie,from lines that have been bred for years and years to run up hill and down dale from getting up to going to bed