3/4 grey 1/4 collie

juckler there is no scientific or common sense reason why a larger dog of exactly the same breeding as a smaller version would have less stamina ... i have wittnessed plenty of 3/4 breds run and they have had plenty of wind .... i have a first cross bitch here that will run all night and all day .... if i bred her to a coursing greyhound then it matters not what size the pups made fact is they will have plenty of stamina ............

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His stamina is spot on for how hes bred rew plenty for the lamp and not to bad in the daytime on the big land for a non saluki type hes still young so not pushed him to hard.Ive had him out everyday or night now for a minimum of a couple of hours hours and i like variety so hes doing some of everything and never wants to stay in. :victory:

Socks mate if you think all your 3/4 breds will have stamina good luck to you.

Have you ever seen a dog go catatonic i think its called dont really know for sure but when they aint got it and they fade fast theres only one way to get em home thats carry the buggers

And as for science and common sense just when you think youve got it all sorted on paper the old dogs will prove all theorys wrong something ive also seen many times.

Like i said before ill agree to disagree with you good luck with your pups when you breed them...................J

Edited by juckler123
What you have to remember John is that not all reverse 3/4 breds are as racy in shape as your bitch. I have bred a few litters of 3/4 collies over the years, and seen a few bred by others, yours is for want of a better word, a bit of a one off :D Most of the reverse 3/4s I have seen resemble collies more than greyhounds and I think youve been extremely fortunate in the way yours has thrown. I would always choose a half bred over a reverse 3/4 as the majority of reverse 3/4s are just fast leggy collies. I admit I havent seen your bitch work and Im just judging off what youve told me about her and pics I have seen. The reverse 3/4s I have seen work, JTs Libby and PDs Maggie were both favouring the collie in looks and running style, and both struggled to come on terms with rabbits that got a bit of a start in the open. Both were also prone to an odd yap if the rabbit went through rocks or in woodland. If you can get a reverse 3/4 that doesnt yap and has enough acceleration to put it on equal footing with a half cross, you can consider yourself to have the proverbial rocking horse shit :D as Ive not seen one that can match a half bred. I think we should have a day out sometime and you can prove me wrong if indeed I am wrong. Give me a good half bred collie lurcher any day of the week. Ive had a few over the years and they dont seem to let me down :toast:

i agree with you sarah, regarding that my bitch is racey for her breeding, she also has a good turn of pace, i agree also you can,t beat a good half cross, but it,s getting hold of a decnt one off decent working parents and not any hold farm bred collie to a greyhound, like alot of people are doing, i prefer lurcher to lurcher , off worker to worker, my mate Mick Dadd, as just bred a decent litter off first cross to first cross, but lurcher to lurcher is just my preference. regards collie john.

again its horses for courses, i have to agree with juckler123, on his points regarding 3/4 breds, they don,t have enough wind for a hard nights lamping, or retreiving a number of shot hares, they are to large , how many 3/4 breds do you see what level out 23/24 inch not that many, they are just to greyhoundy and thats a fact, they aren,t the most agile of dogs either as say a 3/4 reverse, or a first cross, which are better suited to mooching and ferreting work, but thats just my opinion, good luck with whatever cross you decide. regards collie john.

Size has nothing to do with how much greyhounds in them or how fast they will be, as for stamina the 3/4 greyhound ( as you said) cross to what ever breed does lack stamina.

Cant see how you could think a heavy type like a 3/4 reverse collie or a first cross is more agile than a 3/4 greyhound, more the other way round.

I do agree with you about the type of collie you should use, a working one not the type that spend all their lives on a chain in a farm yard or as a hypo pet.

Any body know what the 3/4 cross was like on fox? pre ban of course?

All before the ban and all gone to the happy hunting ground where theres no labour government

Two 3/4 greyhound 1/4 collie

Picture036.jpg

Picture057.jpg

and a saluki, greyhound, afghan hound x with a half bred collie greyhound

Picture048.jpg

Good dogs mush :thumbs: i like the afghan cross very much i lived travelling with an afghan cross years ago he was some tool fearless and plenty in the tank he fed a lot of people bless him and was cock of the campsites wherever we stayed a real toughie :yes:

I dont think you will beat the bullcross scouser mate ive had a few collie bred types that took fox but they all jibbed after a while one dog took 57 in two winters he was making em look easy hardly ever got bit then one got him across the muzzle top and bottom and after that he wouldnt look at em again :no: some threequater breds ive been out with have had spirit and the greyhound do or die temprement but i wouldnt be happy rearing something that might quit at the job in hand. :thumbdown:

Has anyone any experience of a reverse 3/4 back to a greyhound i would love to hear how they turned out as i believe some breeders are using this method for a racier type without losing too much collie :signthankspin:

i,ve bred my reverse 3/4 bred bitch twice once to a first cross fell collie greyhound, and then to a 5/8,s, 3/8,s collie greyhound, all the pups , especially from the second litter have all turned out lightboned and pretty racey, i agree by putting a greyhound over a reverse 3/4, you should get some racey pups, with a brain between their ears. regards collie john.

:laugh: Im not much into maths myself, I am going to try the 5/8 3/8 cross for the simple reason I have tried every other permutation of collie cross and I feel its my duty to give this one a whirl as well :D Ive tried the 3/4 grey 1/4 collie and that didnt work, the reverse 3/4 gives you a good rabbit dog but you take a step backwards speed wise and allthough Ive had the most luck with collie/grey x collie/grey matings, it is hard to increase speed breeding this way and a dose of greyhound is needed from time to time. Ive also inbred and found that allthough this greatly increased the similarity of the offspring, it also didnt improve speed, so the 5/8 cross is the last one left to try. There is the 7/8 greyhound cross which some people swear by, but not having had any luck with the 3/4 I wouldnt even consider trying a 7/8 :doh: Watch this space :D
:laugh: Im not much into maths myself, I am going to try the 5/8 3/8 cross for the simple reason I have tried every other permutation of collie cross and I feel its my duty to give this one a whirl as well :D Ive tried the 3/4 grey 1/4 collie and that didnt work, the reverse 3/4 gives you a good rabbit dog but you take a step backwards speed wise and allthough Ive had the most luck with collie/grey x collie/grey matings, it is hard to increase speed breeding this way and a dose of greyhound is needed from time to time. Ive also inbred and found that allthough this greatly increased the similarity of the offspring, it also didnt improve speed, so the 5/8 cross is the last one left to try. There is the 7/8 greyhound cross which some people swear by, but not having had any luck with the 3/4 I wouldnt even consider trying a 7/8 :doh: Watch this space :D

5/8 ... 3/8 is a nice type i had one myself a few years ago (some of you may remember ) BUT the dog didnt like me and i didnt like the dog ... the dog never wanted to do anything for me and in return i never really put my heart into training the dog .... shame really as she caould have been a handy dog ... HOWEVER the fecking dog was like s h i t of a shovel ... if i owned her now taht i live where i do i would have an overflowing freezer ...........

sally1004.jpg

018-1.jpg

Edited by socks
Good dogs mush :thumbs: i like the afghan cross very much i lived travelling with an afghan cross years ago he was some tool fearless and plenty in the tank he fed a lot of people bless him and was cock of the campsites wherever we stayed a real toughie :yes:

I dont think you will beat the bullcross scouser mate ive had a few collie bred types that took fox but they all jibbed after a while one dog took 57 in two winters he was making em look easy hardly ever got bit then one got him across the muzzle top and bottom and after that he wouldnt look at em again :no: some threequater breds ive been out with have had spirit and the greyhound do or die temprement but i wouldnt be happy rearing something that might quit at the job in hand. :thumbdown:

Has anyone any experience of a reverse 3/4 back to a greyhound i would love to hear how they turned out as i believe some breeders are using this method for a racier type without losing too much collie :signthankspin:

Heres a picture of the Sire a saluki, afghan, greyhound also cock of the roost with my mates old-man at country show.

Picture044.jpg

your right what your saying about most collie crosses jibbing, but some of the old working collies loved taking fox if they could, and the fawn collie cross was bred from that type and loved fox the harder they bit the more she loved it.

Picture.jpg

a 3/4 collie I had one smart bitch but to slow

Picture068.jpg