Pointer X Greyhounds

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a pointer cross that i have just in his first season, i don't know exactly what mix is in him maybe someone on here might know the lad that had him him came from near durham services, i have

He's had 34 fox. He catches them in cover no problem. You would be surprised mate GWP are verh powerful and aggressive dogs when comes to mixing it up they can hold there own.

Not only do they kill foxes for fun they will retrieve them too.     TC

Posted Images

Ok, some here know I have a well bred German wirehair (drahthaar) bitch that Ive used a lot for bird hunting (snipe and grouse mainly) also, rabbits/hares, fox, deer, boar, raccoon, squirrel and has treed black bear. In UK, in Europe, and in Canada. She has hunted up caught fox single handed on rough ground. Great stalking companion. Basically, I do a lot of different things, and wanted a dog that will do it all with me... I think it was a good choice.
I want to breed a litter from her in the future, but heres my issues and thoughts on what Im after from the future pups:

I dont need or want, fast dogs, for the land I hunt at home aswell as the spots I visit abroad, its usually pretty rough going, which has taken its toll (injuries) of my previous lurchers which all had half greyhound, (though not as a direct perent as they were line bred or lurcher/lurcher). I need solid legs and feet, and want to retain a rough double coat. I will hunt the pups with their dam, and they will be primarily used for stalking red deer (tracking shot beasts), foxing, and occasional boar, with the odd night lamping. I know the pointer will add plenty of 'hunt', and no shortage of drive, but I know bulldogs and pointers cross very well for big game hunting, so a bit of that might be on the cards. I was thinking of using a Bull/Deerhound but I have not had much luck finding a good one, with a willing owner.

I dont want to use a greyhound. They are not robust enough for me, and I need much more wind from a dog than they can give, I hunt my dogs dawn till dusk regularly.

I dont want to use a coursing dog, but sure they have decent stamina and usually sound feet, plenty of speed.

Wheaten lurcher, sould give strong, keen hunting dogs with good coats? Deerhoundy lurcher, should give fast pups? Or other line bred lurcher?

In Canada I will be able to hunt them on coon, woodchuck, fox, yotes, bear etc alongside the hounds/terriers and Im sure they would cross nicely back to the staghound for a good hunting staghound type.

lol sorry for the rant folks, thats where Im at at the minute, Id love to hear what you would choose if you were in my shoes.

Regards

DnN

• Like 3

There's a member on here ( ky99le) who has an imported Aussie staghound with a touch of bull. It is trained and used exclusively for pigs. You can see the dog on a thread started by "ratkilla'. The thread is entitled 'Staghound'

Could be ideal for your purposes.

Edited by jukel123
  • Like 1

Thanks Jukel,

Funny enough, I heard about this dog from a mate. Its a thought that has crossed my mind as Pony was bred for pigging. I'd have to see said dog in the field at least a couple of times to feel confident.

irish lurcher as wheaten deerhound types i think , could be worth a pm to him d-n-n

Thanks Jukel,

Funny enough, I heard about this dog from a mate. Its a thought that has crossed my mind as Pony was bred for pigging. I'd have to see said dog in the field at least a couple of times to feel confident.

irish lurcher as wheaten deerhound types i think , could be worth a pm to him d-n-n

Cheers Chid,

Ive spoken to IL in the past about his dogs, as I noticed he had good foxing lurchers with no greyhound blood, I think they are Irish Terrier, not Wheaten. That was a while back, but I liked the ones he had.

FdR - I did briefly get in touch with Dai, and his dog looks like a perfect stamp for my requirements, seen his feet are big and solid, good coat, good worker, nice natured dog by all accounts. I might have scared him away with my endless rambling about hunting and breeding via PM

Sorry for totally hijacking this thread too :icon_redface: haha

• Like 1

There's a member on here ( ky99le) who has an imported Aussie staghound with a touch of bull. It is trained and used exclusively for pigs. You can see the dog on a thread started by "ratkilla'. The thread is entitled 'Staghound'

Could be ideal for your purposes.

Oops double post.

Edited by jukel123

why not take a litter of purebreds off her, provided you can find a stud of similar abilities to the dam? you will know exactly what you are getting, and by bthe sounds of it your bitch isnt lacking in any department which the pups could be improved upon?

why not take a litter of purebreds off her, provided you can find a stud of similar abilities to the dam? you will know exactly what you are getting, and by bthe sounds of it your bitch isnt lacking in any department which the pups could be improved upon?

I know, it might be a bit optimistic of me planning too far ahead, but I always end up doing it anyway. I haven't mentioned that I already have a pure dog lined up for her second/final litter, but I would like them to be more staggered age-wise as I find 1 pointer enough for my needs.

They are good dogs the pures, but there are areas where you could improve upon them for big game work. Bulldog blood should give a longer ranged hunting dog, as its been done a hell of a lot abroad, and when catching a wounded stag or a boar they will hold on that bit firmer and with no questions. That would pretty much sell it for me., but I hunt some very steep, very rough land, and I see the leggier dogs far ahead of the smaller dogs, plus if you have a dog of 30+KG on a beast, it will anchor it better than a terrier could ever do no matter how keen. Lurcher blood could help size as well as speed.

Ive done enough with my bitch to see room for improvements in these areas. But these dogs are amazing when you consider how versatile they are, and awesome gundogs.

• Like 2

One of my biggest regrets is that I did not find the GWP sooner, what an amazing breed they are. They do not suit everyone and the first one I had, if I had any hair left I would have lost it when training him. In reality it was him training me. I used him with the hawk, ferreting, pigeon shooting, duck flighting, walked up woodcock, long netting in the day where he would point rabbits in bushes then I would set nets where I thought the rabbits would bolt too, then tell him to flush, even picking up. The amount of different jobs they are able to do is phenomenal, but they not only do them, but do them well.

For a rabbit and lamping dog a rangy half cross would be an asset given that they would be able to do so many other jobs as well.

TC

• Like 6