I'm gonna have a bash at a game pie and want to slow cook the meat first. Then put it into a pie.

I've got venison (fallow), hare, rabbit and pheasant.

I plan to fry up some onions, garlic, bacon and mushrooms. Add this to the diced meat. Give it a good drink of red wine and add 1 pint of beef stock which I've already got made up from a previous dish.

Maybe a few chopped carrots. Add a bay leaf or. 2.

Then after 8 hours in the slow cooker, bang the whole lot into a pie and into the oven.

Anyone got any other suggestions or recipe ideas?

• Like 2

I'm gonna have a bash at a game pie and want to slow cook the meat first. Then put it into a pie.

I've got venison (fallow), hare, rabbit and pheasant.

I plan to fry up some onions, garlic, bacon and mushrooms. Add this to the diced meat. Give it a good drink of red wine and add 1 pint of beef stock which I've already got made up from a previous dish.

Maybe a few chopped carrots. Add a bay leaf or. 2.

Then after 8 hours in the slow cooker, bang the whole lot into a pie and into the oven.

Anyone got any other suggestions or recipe ideas?

A pint of stock will be a tad to much for a pie mukker. Key to a good pie is a small amount of a thick stock/sauce.

If making a pie I'd slow cook the hare rabb ven and phes with some red wine (with bay leaf) then get meat out and give It a quick fry in butter (not oil) then ad bacon mushroom carrot and onion

Then put in clear Pyrex dish then ad a bit of the wine/juice from the slow cooker. Then cover with your pastry and brush with beaten egg.(poke steam holes ) then with rest of wine/ sauce make a gravey will your pastry is turning golden brown in the overn

Serve a slice of pie with a nice size dollop of mash potato and a red wine gravey and then get shit faced on a bottle of Jim beam black cherry lol

• Like 1

We put rabbit,pheasant,venison,hare,duck,wood pigeon,partridge into the slow cooker say at tea time on high,until we go to bed then it is turned down low until next day at dinner time.its cooked in red wine and all the meat makes the juices when the wife adds the gravy granuales when the meat is removed and made into pies.tastes amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...