Minor puncture no problem. Lungs heal themselves very well with no surgery. My Deer/Grey, many years ago, badly ruptured a lung hitting the far side of a dyke on the lamp. She couldn't breathe properly and the vet drained off 3/4 pint of air that was gathering in her chest cavity crushing the lung. She made a full recovery within 3 months and never had a problem again: worked hard for 8 years. Of course if there is an external injury or a broken rib piercing the lung things can be a lot more difficult, with contamination, infection etc.

• Like 2

As sky cat said they can make a full recovery. Lungs have a good blood supply so can heal well and quickly. A friend I sorted a pup out for had the same injury with the grew pup at around 2 year old, dog ran into cover and punctured his lung with a broken branch, nasty injury but was back to normal in a couple of months. Had a hefty vets bill mind atb

• Like 1

It happened to my mate 30yrs ago when his little dog hit my strong bitch head on.it broke its rib which punctured its lung you could see the dog filling up with air,the vet come straight out to his house and said it was that bad the dog wouldnt make it through the anisthetic.so he had to be put to sleep,it was a bad knock to if you seen it happen.

Edited by lurchers

One of my Beddy Whips had a collapsed lungs due to a punctured traicea they wanted to pts but i wanted to give her a chance they had her on a chest drain for 4 days & at one point were daraining 1/2-3/4 pint of air 3-4 times a day. That was 3years ago & shes still going strong will run all nite & mouch all day. Took her about 3 months to fully recover building up her exercise. So glad i gave her a chance. Mind you cost a fortune!! Hope yours makes a full recovery. Atb Dunc

We had this problem when our young Deerhound ran into a tree. As well as other injuries she punctured both lungs. One was quite minor and healed by its self, the other was so mashed up that she had to have a lobe removed. Took about 2 months to heal. Looking at her now you would never know. We built her fitness up slowly now she has speed and stamina just as she should. First picture Feb 2013 a week after the accident. Second picture Feb 2014 a year after.

ATB

Spring

http://scottish-deerhound.com/media/kunena/attachments/288/poorlyalice007.jpg

http://scottish-deerhound.com/media/kunena/attachments/288/aliceparkfeb14.jpg

Edited by Spring

That is incredible: so she's still got enough stamina even with only one lung?

No, she's still got both lungs but has had a lobe removed. I think dogs have 3 lobes in each lung, so one of her lungs is a third down. Yes, she still has great stamina.

Spring

Ah, sorry, misread that: :icon_redface: thought she was missing an entire lung! When my own Deer/Grey did her lung, they said that she would have died within an hour if her chest hadn't been so huge, so there was room for all the air that was leaking out without squashing her lungs: from accident to vet took around 2 hours, and I hadn't realise there was a problem until she became short of breath after running 3 more rabbits :icon_eek: Very scary moment, or three.

• Like 1

Interesting area, dogs lungs are very similar to our own, although I believe they have more defined lobes, for every day thought there are two lobes on the left and three on the right, the heart takes up the extra space on the left. Following a lobectomy the residual lobes expand to fill the space, becoming hyper inflated. This keeps all the other structures in place although there can be a small residual shift. They will have reduced area for gas exchange but shouldn’t compromise everyday stuff, perhaps never going to be a top line hare dog but fine for galloping around, basically just run out of breath a little earlier than they would have with a full set..

If there is a puncture/collapse then a lot will depend on whether the kin is punctured, ie external trauma allowing in bacteria or if it was just internal trauma. Plus the extent of damage, a small simple pneumothorax will often resolve on its own within a week or two. A haemothorax, bleeding into the pleural space, will take longer as there is more to put right. The bigger the collapse and trauma ie arterial bleeding, the longer it will take and more chance of complications and need for surgical intervention.

• Like 2