Natural Bait Boxes.

I know a lot of the chaps on here are keen advocates of using ‘natural’ materials for trap tunnels – which I found to be good advice; thank you.

What I need to know is where do you stand on using natural materials as ‘boxes’ for rat baits. I’m assuming there’s no law saying you have to use the plastic ones sold by the P.C. supply companies. But can you fashion something from a pile of bricks, logs, chicken-wire etc, and then fill it with bait?

Please let me know your thoughts, thanks.

You can use whatever you like to make a baiting point, the main criteria is protecting non targets species from gaining access to the bait.

On a farm I often use items lying around, maybe an old corrugated sheet, pipes, bricks etc. I put a warning sticker on so that others can see it a baiting point.

Often bait uptake is quicker using natural cover

• Like 3

Why not, the idea is to be tamper proof and species specific!

That's not actually true.

Some of go back to a time before the plastic bait box.

R started it off as a revenue generating idea. They got people to pay for 'disinfestation' and then sold them the theory of 'perimeter protection' and the plastic boxes that go with it.

There is no legal requirement for 'tamper resistant' (note, 'resistant', not 'proof') boxes. The law requires you take 'reasonable' measures to protect bait from non targets.

It's been well known and documented, that the safest, and fastest way to reduce rat populations with rodenticide bait is to burrow bait. Making use of natural materials to protect bait from the elements and non targets is not a new idea.

Let's be realistic here; modern rodenticides are very safe; providing the correct amounts of bait are placed there is little or no danger to kids or pets if they get to the bait. It's virtually impossible for a human to ingest commercial bait due to the addition of Bitrex which causes a 'gagging' reaction when you try and eat it (I've done it myself).

Another point to consider is that rodents actually don't like feeding from plastic bait boxes. When I used to do research work, we proved that better bait uptake could be had from wooden feeding stations.

Plastic bait boxes have their uses; but I think their widespread use is over-rated.

Strange this topic has come up and we have transgressed to plastic bait boxes ... I have a large lock up courtesy of a local farmer and the cost to me,is to kill the rats at his grain store ... Now he used to have plastic bait boxes set out at about every 15 meters baited up and they made no difference to the rat population ... However what they are good for is little rat houses ... I check and empty my fenns everyday and once or twice a week when I am passing I take the dogs in with me and without fail they mark 3 or 4 of the plastic boxes and low and behold a quick kick and out comes mr rat that has been making a nice nest in there ... So they have their uses .........

• Like 1

Strange this topic has come up and we have transgressed to plastic bait boxes ... I have a large lock up courtesy of a local farmer and the cost to me,is to kill the rats at his grain store ... Now he used to have plastic bait boxes set out at about every 15 meters baited up and they made no difference to the rat population ... However what they are good for is little rat houses ... I check and empty my fenns everyday and once or twice a week when I am passing I take the dogs in with me and without fail they mark 3 or 4 of the plastic boxes and low and behold a quick kick and out comes mr rat that has been making a nice nest in there ... So they have their uses .........

Agreed, but if the bait is properly monitored/administered/maintained within the box it won't be his home very long!!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1

Why not, the idea is to be tamper proof and species specific!

That's not actually true.

Some of go back to a time before the plastic bait box.

R started it off as a revenue generating idea. They got people to pay for 'disinfestation' and then sold them the theory of 'perimeter protection' and the plastic boxes that go with it.

There is no legal requirement for 'tamper resistant' (note, 'resistant', not 'proof') boxes. The law requires you take 'reasonable' measures to protect bait from non targets.

It's been well known and documented, that the safest, and fastest way to reduce rat populations with rodenticide bait is to burrow bait. Making use of natural materials to protect bait from the elements and non targets is not a new idea.

Let's be realistic here; modern rodenticides are very safe; providing the correct amounts of bait are placed there is little or no danger to kids or pets if they get to the bait. It's virtually impossible for a human to ingest commercial bait due to the addition of Bitrex which causes a 'gagging' reaction when you try and eat it (I've done it myself).

Another point to consider is that rodents actually don't like feeding from plastic bait boxes. When I used to do research work, we proved that better bait uptake could be had from wooden feeding stations.

Plastic bait boxes have their uses; but I think their widespread use is over-rated.

Fair comment, and my wording could have been better, but my précis half a line was just that.

Got an opportunity to try ditching the plastic boxes today.

So how did I do – as far as you can tell from mobile phone photos?

Well done?

Badly done?

Problems I haven’t thought about?

If necessary, could I stand up in court and say, “the old guys on the THL said it looked ok to them”?

NBP1_zpsa93fe02a.jpg

NBP2_zpsea55f235.jpg

Watch your quantities :thumbs:

It's hard to tell from the pictures (no perspective), but you need to make sure that bait points don't exceed the amount on the label.

The only other consideration is removal at the end of treatment. I'd personally use the larger white trays wherever possible: easy to replenish, easy to remove. An alternative is to use small squares of fertiliser sack to prevent contamination of the ground by bait.

As Matt and talpa have said there are assorted problems associated with bait applied directly to the land, but also beware...... .

Problems of exposed bait trays are dew/condensation/rain/frost/snow/etc, a tray will fill up with water and create on 'orrible soup/mess, so it is important to weatherproof the area where tray is situated.

Personally I'm not easy with what I see, or a bait tray in that situation. (but I don't quite follow what has happened between pic 1 and 2, they almost look like different scenes)