Lamping Training

With the nights drawing in, I am finding myself exercising the dogs/training in the dark. Is there any advantage to doing retrieving training with a torch ready for lamping?

The pup is only 4 months old, I don't have enough hours in day light. I'm hoping to get a couple of late season runs come march.

Tozer, im not trying to be a smart arse here buddy but by March the only bunnies left are seasoned survivors,the weak,old, dumb are long dead..your pup will just be 7 1/2 month old..why the hurry? Imo leaving until next season would benefit the dog no end..personally I like a pup to be exactly that, let it enjoy being a baby..would you send your own child to work? As for retrieval work in the dark..nothing untoward about that infact it's well worth doing as long as the pup sees it as playtime and not an endless chore..sorry if I seem a bit harsh but im just one of these patient types when it comes to rearing pups lol..good luck buddy

• Like 5

Tozer, im not trying to be a smart arse here buddy but by March the only bunnies left are seasoned survivors,the weak,old, dumb are long dead..your pup will just be 7 1/2 month old..why the hurry? Imo leaving until next season would benefit the dog no end..personally I like a pup to be exactly that, let it enjoy being a baby..would you send your own child to work? As for retrieval work in the dark..nothing untoward about that infact it's well worth doing as long as the pup sees it as playtime and not an endless chore..sorry if I seem a bit harsh but im just one of these patient types when it comes to rearing pups lol..good luck buddy

Good post, I was also thinking of giving my 6 month old pup a run or two at the back end of the season but like you say there seasoned survivors and the amount of people lamp around here the surviving rabbits will have seen any amount of lamps ?

• Like 1

Good post andy. And people get a little to carryed away with retreving at 3 4 months justn make sure recall 100%... and things tend to fall into place and just the matter of polishing them off, use hall ways in the house gardens side paths ect....

Build a nice bond and do your best iam sure things will fall into place. Best of luck

• Like 2

I've never really worked on retrieving ,

well past the passing a toy on the house.

I find recall the key.

if they catch and your recall is spot on ,they dont want to leave what they've caught ,but the desire to come back ,will be enough.

Retrieving is a natural extension of recall. Get that 110% retrieving should be easy,unless they are retrieving shot game,or.blind retrieves ,but I don't need that.

• Like 2

luck to have my pup carry back 90% so far and as for the jumping the times I have starting him out he seems to be poping he head over fences and giving a little jump in the dark better than the day he just tries ripping throw it lol will see ...............