Most Rabbits Locally (Walking Distance) On Lamp

From what i can remember rew we caught a few doubled but bagged up on a few fields before and after doing single slips we was young then lol.... I pefer single as i like to see dogs work and catch there own rabbit... It must be abit of a p**s take for a dog when its put the work in and a another dog runs out of nowhere and nabbs their rabbit.... And ofcourse theres alot of risk doing doubled... Now i have more experience i wouldnt do it tbh unless ferreting and two dogs are working the warren off lead.... Cheers

I remember we used to do a place out in lincs years ago,,,on this dead flat seed,,,walk up along the dyke side lamping out,,,feck me these rabbits were almost impossible to catch,,,trouble was there were lots of them,,,and we were out hunting for coin,,,,so we used to use two dogs there,,,,there was a knack to it,,releasing the second dog just to pic up the bunny at the last second as they came back to the hedge,,,

• Like 1

Generally we wont double up. We know Its not ideal, its not really necessary after a rabbit either (we all know that). It could potentially ruin retrieving for example but under certain circumstances it has paid off like on that night we got 16 . The ground is fast and the hedges are thin, everything will have to run perfect for half that catch with one dog.They is no point having two dogs course a rabbit around the field either. If you slip at the perfect time and the risk of a collision is minimal IMO

Anyway I took the big rabbit from gem, calmed her down and then let her carry it behind me. In 24 hours I had gone from gem going missing and having to collect her from the kennels next morning to bagging her first run on lamp the following night. What a difference a day makes.

Good replies anyway gents and pics to. Just shows how some of us are more privileged than others with rabbits numbers local. It would feel like a shock to the system walking through the streets of council estates to go have a few runs over a few miles of walking and then walk back home early hours. The worst part for me when I was on foot was always living furthest away, saying my bye's and walking the last half hour stretch by my own

Walking back now over land we have history with and the memories come flooding back. That country park has given us just enough sport through the years.

Edited by REW

Have had 19 and a big ginger rabbit with white top of his tail with the one dog on my doorstep, but that was a very good night I live on a farm in a static so I'm parked in a field lol that was a hard night for the dog on his own as very overlamped on the farm I live on and never much about.. And our Cornish rabbits and gingers is faster I'm sure ;)

• Like 1

Had 21 on foot one night with this dog she was a tiny thing and I used to pick her runs with rabbits up against the hedge. It was quite a rough wet old night but we couldn't go wrong. I remember her nailing quite a few in the hedge its self she was really on form that night.

As the numbers grew I started leaving them to collect on the way back. Hell of a slog home that night wet right through. She was kept out side but that night she had the bottom of me bed

6993247258_535d96d65c_c.jpg

• Like 3