Kerry Blue Wanted

I have a kerry and yes, I've had much better hunting dogs. But I can also say that mine does fulfill my hunting days quite effectively.

It is a nice proportioned dog, with a decent nose, very passionate and ready for new tasks and very used to work with other dogs.

Problems: excessive hair which needs shaving unless you want to spend too much time removing stuff from it after hunting and kind of a thin weak skin, although even having a bleeding wound she never moans.

Virtues: Brave, willing to work and a clean (they hardly shed) and playful dog to have at home.

At least that is my experience. But I can only speak about my dog, wouldn't dare to generalize.

Cheers.

• Like 2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When you say "any help appreciated" I presume you mean your friend needs help. I would agree, anyone looking for a Kerry Blue on a working terrier forum needs help.   Sorry, couldn't resist it.

Just my opinion, but as I've said before the Kerry Blue was never anything other than a rough and ready cur. Like most of the Irish breeds he'd have been a jack of all trades but master of none. SO,

Bushranger, I've yet to meet a breeder of Kerry Blues who's dogs weren't the gamest, best hunters out there. Years ago a breeder of Glen of Imalls was telling me how game his Glens were. You know wh

Posted Images

If youre after a kerry blue for working be very carefull what you put him on, because once they turn they can be very aggresive towards other dogs and the damage they can do in a few seconds is unreal, there are breeders out there who are trying to breed for temperament as they make fantastic pets and they love being around people but if you get a nasty one it could be your biggest nightmare and some of the male dogs are very strong and powerfull .

If you know of any working lines or pups I am interested and willing to travel. Aggressive towards other dogs at most is how far as it goes from what I know and have seen. There still could be light at the end of the tunnel, let there be light.? Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

:hmm: Forget the Irish breeds.....buy a APBT from Tom Garner.....at least you now what you are buying :thumbs:

:toast::boogy:

Tom garners a peddling tosspot and done feck all with dogs a certain dogmen in ireland has compaigned way more dogs then any of these famous yanks but he isnt a breeder hence he probably isnt know for producin litter after litter . had dogs from tom so have my friends some didnt deserve the chain space. If u out put litters on a scale like that man does you are bound to get good dogs but u will get more shit then u do good ..

General:did you happen to see the kerry blues on donedeal couple days ago,nice looking dogs he has 3 different ones up,nice looking 2 year old he might be worth a call

I was being sarcastic mate Kerry blues ain't worth a butt for working dogs all they are good for is fighting with other dogs. Seen a perfect example walking my dogs the other evening. A Kerry blue of the lead ran over to a man walking a parson russell and a Lakeland. The Kb boned the russell and ended up being sorry he did because the two terriers had to be choked off the Kerry. That's all they are worth and it ain't much. Edited by THE GENERAL
  • Like 1

Not my case.

My dog is used to hunt with other dogs, has lived with many others and obviously goes for a walk three times a day. She is 10 and I've never had any serious fight apart from normal barking and growling like any other dog from time to time.

But like many terriers, if you don't work on their agressiveness, one first dog fight is the only trigger they need to be pulled in order to have a serious and constant problem.

Not an easy breed to deal with, but hunting does help a lot as they channel their agressiveness towards quarry.

Not my case.

My dog is used to hunt with other dogs, has lived with many others and obviously goes for a walk three times a day. She is 10 and I've never had any serious fight apart from normal barking and growling like any other dog from time to time.

But like many terriers, if you don't work on their agressiveness, one first dog fight is the only trigger they need to be pulled in order to have a serious and constant problem.

Not an easy breed to deal with, but hunting does help a lot as they channel their agressiveness towards quarry.

Any pictures of your Kerry blue

I would not say Kerry Blues are good for fighting I don't think they would go much more then 7 minutes. But I know of a bitch that has killed two of her Kerry Blue Kennel bitches. A good one would probably take a show shit Stafford as the Stafford would shit themselves real early, some of them Staffords cant even take a hold. Hunting a good Kerry would be open to any quarry he would be eager to anyway........would have to test and see as you do with any other working dog,,,you dont always get worker from worker x worker, but you usually do.

I have had some very brave staffords also. from show lines.

Edited by bushranger

I had a male Kerry, my wife took him out for his needs early 6:30 in the morning the dog had bone cancer he limped a front leg as he walked. There was a man that had an aggressive mongrel of his lead, came directly at the Kerry she said. The dog screams from the street woke me up, I looked out of the window to see my wife choking the Kerry the man beating the Kerry, my wife telling the man to f**k off, and the mongrel screaming and the Kerry would not let go, I put on my clothes went down lifted him of the ground hand under his collar...he let go exhausted..,, he was put down 2 days later,,,,cancer had got him worse.

Edited by bushranger
  • Like 1

I have seen better and worse breeds.. I don't know but I start to think in southern Ireland you have nobody left breeding Kerrys, let alone good ones. Breeders probably doing a better job at breeding in northern Ireland and England and abroad.

Edited by bushranger

Not my case.

Any pictures of your Kerry blue

post-93320-0-09977000-1422274638_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You might be right Ramsack.

The truth is that apart from mine I've never seen a hunting one.

In my opinion, like any other breed, the first thing to do would be testing the working abilities among the existent ones, select the best working lines and then consider putting other breeds blood if needed.

We've lost too many breeds for the sake of beauty and shows. We should be breeding the nicest ones for shows and for work. Centuries of selection are being thrown down the flush: irish setters, cockers, weimaraners, poodles, yorkies, westies...

In Germany, working tests are a must for hunting breeds and they reflect on their pedigrees.

Apart from Miss Schiffer, this is something the germans have done quite correctly :)

• Like 2

Just my opinion, but as I've said before the Kerry Blue was never anything other than a rough and ready cur.

Like most of the Irish breeds he'd have been a jack of all trades but master of none.

SO, if someone wanted to restore the Kerry Blue back to his former glory then IMO it wouldn't be a hard job.

The breeds of today that still have good solid working lines (ie. the Patterdale, the Wheaten etc.) have always had owners who've wanted success in the show ring and the bank account , with their own self induced egos.

But these breeds have also always had good men behind them who've had the breeds working ability to heart first and foremost.

If the like of these men stay loyal to a breed it should never suffer and let the peddlers and show men do their own thing, f**k them.

So if some one wanted to take on a breeding project regarding a working breed it would suit them better to put their time and effort into keeping one of the types that are going strong instead of trying to resurrected a Dodo.

And at the end of the day one of the main reasons the likes of the border and the jack russell is struggling is because they were second rate workers to the breeds that can actually do the job.

Simple as that.

• Like 4