Lurcher Poem

Serious one now boys for those who like a poem...

6 weeks old, little bundles of joy, using each other as a chew toy. The sleepy one, the noisy one, the feisty one too. Various colours, black, white and blue.

It's almost impossible to pick just one, but we must decide now before the best one is gone.

I've narrowed it down to a choice of two. A chunky dark brindle and a lighter built blue.

I pass both the pups to my daughter aged 3, see if she wants to choose one for me. She picks the dark brindle, the missus agrees, that was quite easy, they made it a breeze.

Homeward bound, a two hour trip, resting her head on my little girls hip. Wakey wakey, we arrive at home, straight in her kennel with a big meaty bone.

Crying and howling, she misses her litter. THL boys say I should hit her. Softly softly, she soon settles down, she wouldn't understand a shout or a frown.

A few days pass and she's quiet as a mouse, now she can start to come in the house. Accidents happen, she's only a pup, it's nothing my missus can't clean up.

The days turn to weeks and the weeks roll on, I don't know where the time has gone.

10 months old, it's time to see, if she can catch a rabbit for me. It's a 3 hour trip to land we know, so I pack my bag and off we go.

Shine the lamp, her ears prick up, slip the lead, "get on pup". One in the bag, then two then three. She's catching us plenty and retrieving to me.

She's misses one, the rabbit won, not to worry, what's done is done. Experience will sort that out, she's still a pup and bouncing about. 20 slips and we call it a night, 16 in the bag - she did alright.

Pack her away 'til the season is here, now I know I've got nothing to fear. She can do the job and she can do it well, we'll be back in winter to give those rabbits hell.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

thought i would share a poem i wrote, i hope it is in the right section.   THE LURCHER, what a truly magificent animal is the lurcher, my favorite animal to love, develop and nurture, from a sill

Friendly banter war of words lol

Another THL classic, only on here could two grown men have a fight using feckin poems :laugh: :laugh:

Nice one gaz, anyone else got any. I am sure there is a bit of poet in us all, except maybe northern...

Old northernshite isn't that bad...

He managed to rhyme Mitty and Shitty

pretty witty now over to walter mitty fantasy world the land of make believe Edited by nothernlite

Nice one gaz, anyone else got any. I am sure there is a bit of poet in us all, except maybe northern...

Old northernshite isn't that bad...

He managed to rhyme Mitty and Shitty

pretty witty now over to walter mitty fantasy world the land of make believe

You really are a bitter old sod northernshite.

Nothing fantasy here. You wish it was though don't you.

Yeh she had a few droppers as a pup. All helps to build confidence from a young age.

Can't compare to that think miss witty been involved with that one the only bit missing is the dropper with the broken leg f f's it's like the Steve Martin film jerk Walters got it

See there you go again. More wishful thinking from you. Hoping my missus helped me write it. Lol. Just because you can't so something it doesn't mean it can't be done old man.

That's why you think I'm a fantasist isn't it?

Because my life is just so successful beyond comprehension. Perhaps you should move down south a bit if things are so bad for you up there?

Believe it or not I'm just a regular lad from the midlands. There are even lads down here better looking than me and taller than me. What would you call them? A miracle? ???

Com-pre-hen-shon. I know you are still stuck on that one ?

Is it still friendly banter? It is clear northern likes to wind you up gaz and he has some success. I would love to buy you both a beer but definitely not at the same time. Lol

It's all banter on my part. I don't think he likes winding me up. I think he is jealous of anyone who has any amount of success. He is the kind of man who would be straight on here commenting if you had some bad luck. His type thrive off that. There's lots like him, he isn't alone.

I can play the keyboard games all day with him, and keep winning, he isn't the first to try it and he won't be the last.

All this Walter Mitty shite is funny, but in reality it couldn't be further from the truth.

Och sucks walter far from the truth you know the truth and there's a few more on here to so I'm not alone now away and ferret then droppers they rabbits for your 40 mph blistering machine (dog)I'm no jealous of any one do my own thing it's not about numbers to me as it is to walter keep winning there's a example guys a fecking rocket simple as

Can't compare to that think miss witty been involved with that one the only bit missing is the dropper with the broken leg f f's it's like the Steve Martin film jerk Walters got it

See there you go again. More wishful thinking from you. Hoping my missus helped me write it. Lol. Just because you can't so something it doesn't mean it can't be done old man.

Because my life is just so successful beyond comprehension. Perhaps you should move down south a bit if things are so bad for you up there?

Believe it or not I'm just a regular lad from the midlands. There are even lads down here better looking than me and taller than me. What would you call them? A miracle?

Com-pre-hen-shon. I know you are still stuck on that one

You got a mirror on the cap of your hat f f's so fecking vain lol

Och sucks walter far from the truth you know the truth and there's a few more on here to so I'm not alone now away and ferret then droppers they rabbits for your 40 mph blistering machine (dog)I'm no jealous of any one do my own thing it's not about numbers to me as it is to walter keep winning there's a example guys a fecking rocket simple as

You keep going on about this truth. I'm dying for you to enlighten me. You are a know all, know feck all. Now get yourself f****d off you silly old spastic.

Believe it or not I'm just a regular lad from the midlands. There are even lads down here better looking than me and taller than me. What would you call them? A miracle?

Com-pre-hen-shon. I know you are still stuck on that one

You got a mirror on the cap of your hat f f's so fecking vain lol

You've either got it or you haven't David. And you. You ain't got it.