German Sheperds

nope ireland, dam is holland import trained as a personal protection dog. sire is malinois

there are several breeders in the UK but recommend you do your research and go on malinois + dutch shepherd groups on fb to get an idea of whos reputable

Great dogs i think. They are so easy to train and do a vast arrange of jobs when trained well, not to mention protecting your property ect.

Getting a pup soon, looking forward to it, had one in the passed and proved to be a fantastic dog on all different manner of things.

Who else on here owns them?

Ill get a photo of my pup up as soon as i get her.

I think if bred right and brought up right, they are hard to beat.

The one i had years ago, would hunt up deer all day, she had some stamina!

Two of them were shot on my local farm Sunday, they chased and bit a flock of sheep causing 5 to be put down and a further 45 to be treated by 2 vets who had to be called out.. Don't know about their stamina ,when the farmer got there they were laying down absolutely exhausted after their exploits.

he has an off switch but is very high energy so you need something for him to focus on... not a dog to leave to its own devices. hes with me nearly 24/7 and when im not at home where he can free roam safely he needs a lot of exercise

Thank you Carraghs. Inan, that is bad, its not the dogs fault, its irresponsible dog owners , shame and poor sheep.

I know mate, I was just being facetious.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. Due to their paw size they struggle with the trigger.

weird fukka,has a right sneaky way about him,but he keeps folk out for sure

I've had a fair few pass through my door when I helped out a German Shepherd Rescue charity with training the dogs. They are the most noble and loyal of dogs.   I was never asked to provide a nice w

Posted Images

This is me and my old working sheperd sam. We worked together for a good ten years. And he sadly had to be destroyed two years ago due to major hip probelms. I had him from 7 months old. And possibly the only thing in my life i trusted to the end, Saved my ass more times then i can count. This pup was more then just a dog to me. Here he is about 12 months before he passed.

sam_zpsbe7c6d37.jpg

Sounds like he was your best pal, sorry to her he was put down, but from what you say he had a good 10 years working with you. :)

Will they all get hip problems in their old age? What's the reason for that if from working lines? Simply due to their size? Had an American bulldog as my first ever dog which was put down due to hip displasia, funny thing is the moment had a really low hip score. The peddler breeder bred the dam again and she produced more pups with hip problems so dispite the low score she produced bad.

Sounds to me their has to be several generations on both sides with no hip problems. If their is such a thing?

The CZ dogs seem good for this prehaps?

yeh that's what I was told, they try to breed from low hip scores from gen after gen . not saying you want get bad hips with East/Europe lines , as its in the breed anyway . But you got a lot better chance of not getting most gsds probs , because there bred for performance, and not just looks like the show type gsds are. HD Is bad in a lot of large breeds today , even few pits have got it now, and there not a over big dog, so just never know .? my young dog 1/2 CZ gsd lines and 1/2 greyhound so should have good hips on him, my vet said its a pity they didn't out x to greys as it would improved the gsd as breed , but as normal the KC fook everything up breeding for looks and not function , he not keen on the KC lol

• Like 2

Will continue to be a problem when people let their pet dogs breed IMO. Surely a dog with hip problems being worked it'll show up and you'll know that dogs not to be bred from. I can bet you won't get a pit conditioned if its got hip problems so guessing its show dogs? Think that's why it'll be good if people only brought dog from proven workers. Don't allow their to be a market for pets that have been bred. Sadly it won't ever happen though.

Sounds to me their has to be several generations on both sides with no hip problems. If their is such a thing?

yeh that's what I was told, they try to breed from low hip scores from gen after gen . not saying you want get bad hips with East/Europe lines , as its in the breed anyway . But you got a lot better chance of not getting most gsds probs , because there bred for performance, and not just looks like the show type gsds are. HD Is bad in a lot of large breeds today , even few pits have got it now, and there not a over big dog, so just never know .? my young dog 1/2 CZ gsd lines and 1/2 greyhound so should have good hips on him, my vet said its a pity they didn't out x to greys as it would improved the gsd as breed , but as normal the KC fook everything up breeding for looks and not function , he not keen on the KC lol

Its a shame the kc have done this to such a great breed. Hope my pup is fine, her parents were good, but see how it pans out. Think ill stick to the eastern uropean ones in the future, as from researching it, they seem to be some of the best.

Just a thought here, but does anyone know of any gsd lines out their that have no hip problems what so ever? I read in some of them slovakian and dutch shepherd lines, their is no problems what so ever, well according to them?

Alot of it is from breeding. Breeders trying to get a more curved rear end to the dog. But yes most of them or pritty much all the shepeards ive grown up with and worked, have all had bad hip problems, sad really, as a previous comment statted there brains are still as sharp as a whip. And sam just longed to work and be around me. was heart breaking to watch.

Has anyone ever trained a german shepherd as a gundog?

theres one which picks up on a shoot near me, i havent seen it work but according to one of the beaters i know, he says its terrific. also goes wildfowling and has no problem in the water, plus trails wounded deer apparently.

• Like 1