Hunting Using A Bi-Pod?

Was wondering how useful people find bi-pods when hunting rabbits. I've never tried one but I'm considering getting one. I don't generally shoot prone but think with a bi-pod it could make a great solid base to shoot from. Would be interested to know your thoughts.

If using a bi-pod, can it easily be taken off?

Any suggestions for a good quality one, lighter the better and height?

i find it very useful on the right ground,ie golf courses or where the cover is low,i have a 9-13" bipod but don't use it at the minute as i have bought a hw100 and don't have a sling stud for the fore end but when i get one the bipod is going straight back on!! :thumbs:

before i had one i used a rolled up camo net or backpack,maybe you could try that and see if you get on with shooting prone...

• Like 1

Do you think this one is suitable?

I would like good quality and lighter the better.

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p103129-harris-model-s-l-bipod-9-13-inches-swivel-base-hb1126-s-l/#.U_uq2GK9KSN

That's what I use and really can't fault it, I've not had it long but it looks and feels like a top quality bit of kit, its easy to fit and remove and doesnt feel overly weighty on my rifle. For me its the perfect height for shooting prone, levels up nicely and when the legs are fully extended just gives a clear enough view over longish grass or stubble. If I need any extra height ie for sitting or kneeling shots its simple enough to unclip and use sticks instead. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm testing a bipod next time I'm on the range on my 97K it's the one that clamps to the barrel n if it's ok I'll test it on permission... I do hope it's a stable platform and doesn't stop the underleaver

Not on a SPRINGER you'll ruin it!!! :(

why is that never had problems on larger recoiling rifles

When you say larger recoiling rifles I take it you mean powder burners? With a spring air rifle the recoil acts a little differently as the piston moves forwards, stops and then potentially bounces back. This means the rifle will recoil backwards as per a powder burner then forwards as the piston stops, then depending on the rifle, back again. This combined with an air rifle having a massively longer lock time gives the rifle far more potential to move around due to the effect of recoil before the pellet leaves the barrel and hence alter the point of impact. :)